What's new

Smoked some Boston Butts last weekend.... (1 Viewer)

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Thought I'd share some pics of my adventure with you guys.....

Thursday night picked out a nice coupla butts from the local Piggly Wiggly. $1.19/lb for nearly 19 lbs worth of pork!

Slathered on some mustard and put 'em in the fridge until friday night, giving them 24 hours to soak it in.

Friday evening. Getting the old Backwoods Smoker ready. I used briquets to start with and then switched to hickory.

Atomic Buffalo Turds! (ABT's)

Ready to go on the smoker:

2.5 hours later the ABT's came out great.

Went to bed and used my remote temp gauge.....the temp stayed between 220 and 245 the entire night. Saturday morning 7 am and the internal meat temp is at 190 or so. Cooked it another 2 hrs pulled it off and and let it sit for an hour and it shredded beautifully. The bark was a little blacker than I was expecting considering this was the first time I used a rub instead of a sauce on a butt...but it had a fantastic flavor, not charred at all.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Looks good. What exactly is the recipe for the bacon pepper things?

Oh and is that smoker gas?

Thanks

LewB

Screenwriter
Is that a half potato holding the thermometer probe ? Sneaky, I like it.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
You didn't post your ADDRESS !!!!!!!!! I took a bite outta my monitor.........

I have a friend who often smokes boston butts ( my fav) has his own rub that was actually developed by a pharmacist friend of owns. Does osme velly good chicken often.... makes me bust my diet when I'm over his house......

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Cryan
Ah...the atomic buffalo turds. Jalapenos cut in half with seeds and membrane scooped out to make a little boat. stuff with cream cheese, set a lil' smokie on top of the chees, wrap in bacon and smoke for 2-3 hours. Gas? Never!!

Lew
Yeah, the tater method is pretty clever. But it didn't work for me...I couldn't get the probe thru the tater far enough to keep it from reading what the heated tater temp was. I ended up using a piece of a brown paper bag folded up to use as a buffer between the grill grate and the probe....that worked great.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
i wish you guys were my neighbors so I could invite myself to your parties :)

Sweet thread, thanks for sharing!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
with all the different threads on here i would have thought that the BBQ guys would be all over this one, so right now a 15 lb picnic shoulder is rubbed down and doing both styles of NC pulled pork out of it, and going to sit in the fridge over night, also did a Disney style brine, and have half a dozen turkey legs resting till tomorrow as well, looks like a early morning for me. hope everyone else is having a great weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks