What's new

Smallville Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
They're doing a good job of getting the pieces in their proper places. And yes, the Lois / Clark relationship is much more "natural" than the Lana / Clark one, probably because we're getting it mostly from Lois' perspective and not Clark's. I could have done without the blatant ripoff of The Dark Knight's "hero we need" motif, but overall the last several episodes have been quite good. They even handled the Wonder Twins nicely. Chloe's increased ambiguity for privacy is definitely a theme they're looking to pay off somehow; let's hope they handle it better than Oliver's depression.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It may be more natural, and maybe I'm alone.. but damn, the actress who was Lana was insanely hot (Kruk I believe) .. Lois.. not so much.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought Lois was stunning yesterday.

I think it's an incontrovertible fact that Kristin Kreuk is a beautiful actress. It's not even an opinion. She's not a great actress, but that shouldn't have been a problem for Smallville. The writers just lost the ability to write for her. Part of the problem is that we all know Lois is Clark's great love, so they were just marking time as a couple (kind of like MJ is Peter Parker's great love now, so going back to the Gwen years doesn't work so well). And, they were practically never a couple. There was the long, drawn out buildup, the short period they were together, and then she got married to Lex and it turned too weird. Her episodes almost sunk season 8.

Now that Lois and Clark are working together at the Planet and have romantic tension going on, the show finally feels like it's moving towards Superman. They ought to ditch Smallville altogether. Clark can speed over there to check on or even live at the farm, but it's a little ridiculous that Lois still lives at the Talon. Even though we saw Metropolis from Smallville in an early episode, the producers have said that was a mistake and they consider it to be further away than that. There's no real reason for Lois to be commuting from Smallville. I guess they feel they have to keep it tied to the title. I've always wished they'd change the title to Metropolis and lose any of that baggage.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While the glasses were a nice touch, I still don't see how they're going to reconcile it when Clark finally ceases to be a blur. He's just looked exactly like Superman for too long.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Well, I didn't want to post just to say "my favorite episode in awhile" but I can't remember the details anymore to write them. But it really was my favorite episode in quite some time. I could watch it again without being irritated. I do know I don't like how Chloe feels like a pointless add-on. They're trying to keep her character involved, but it just doesn't feel the same.
Watching the whole Lois/Clark/Blur thing and how Clark is winning her over is quite entertaining to me. I have no problem with the looks or acting of the actress who plays Lois. The Tess character, though, is almost painful for me to watch. I enjoy when she's not on the screen.

In this incarnation, what does "S" stand for?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

In this incarnation, what does "S" stand for?
The crest for the house of El (Jor-El's family crest).

Will Clark continue to wear the glasses? Judging by Lois's reaction, they really were prescription glasses. Haha.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, pretty surprised there were no comments from the episode the week before with a younger Jor-el. I loved it. The role reversal in the Kryptonian Trial was worth the price of admission alone! (Nevermind that the price being free, of course)

Anyway, except for the Wonder Twins (They were never in comic book continuity, were they?) I also really liked this episode as well. I keep waiting for them to hit the Lois and Clark reset button, but they haven't so far. I would really love to see a continuing and growing romance between the two. And yes, Lois has to fall for Clark, not Super-- uh, the Blur. And when can they start calling him Superman, anyway? The Blur is so weak. I mean, how much help do they need? That family crest sure looks like a Super big "S"

And here's another vote for Clark to continue to wear the glasses. They never should have ditched them when they had them in one of the very early episodes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wow, I stayed out of this thread because I couldn't take another season of reading negatives on the show so I'm surprised to read that you guys are actually liking it this season lol.

I always enjoy this show, even when it falters I still stick by it and support it and this season is making great strides in finally getting Lois and Clark together and getting Clark that much closer to becoming the Man of Steel.

Something occurred to me the other night when I was watching this weeks episode, something I'm thankful for, we haven't seen Clark in his usual blue t-shirt and red jacket this season! Could it be he ditched them for good? I hope so hehe.

There was a bit of a goof with the episode with Jor El coming to Smallville, there was a season 3 episode called 'Relic' that had Jor El coming to Smallville and he looked just like Clark, not Julian Sands.

Ah well.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm usually positive about it. Like I said, they could run it another ten years and I'd watch. It's just a comfort knowing Smallville is always there.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I almost look at it as two different shows: There's the first two seasons that played the concept very straight: this is a real small town, with everything playing by the real world rules except that the main character is developing the powers of and growing up to become Superman. Then there's the show from season three on, which takes that same protagonist and set him in much more of a comic book world. Going from one to the other was a disappointment, but once you've accepted the new rules that the show lives by, the show doesn't drop off any more. The first two seasons will probably remain my favorite, but this is perhaps the best season since then. At least now they're really mining the "This is a comic book world" for all its worth. Basically, we have Superman without the red and blue right now.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
First pic of Hawkman in costume. Plus an interview with Michael Shanks about the episode. (Spoilers)

http://tvguidemagazine.com/kecks-exclusives/hawkman-swoops-into-smallville-3209.html

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is that an actual photo of him in the costume, looks like a model or an action figure.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In all seriousness, if Smallville continues on this creative resurgence, there's no way CW is going to be able to justify canceling it next year. The last 4-5 episodes have been most impressive. Even the Wonder Twins, who I was terrified the writers would destroy, managed to be very tasteful. And tonight's episode-while I'm not a fan of flashback/flashfoward/X amount of time ago type of stories-was very well done, some corny dialogue and TV-level CGI aside.

But to see the next new episode is more than 2 months away? January 22? Good lord...CW must have incredible faith in the fans not to forget about the show. And as a reminder, February 5 is the big, Absolute Justice movie. This may be the most excited about Smallville I've been since I got caught up with the series after S5 on DVD...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
What is Absolute Justice? Edit: I did my own research. It's funny that even though I skimmed Todd's linked article, I completely missed that there was going to be a movie event.

The show usually goes on hiatus at this time of year. It sucks since I wasn't prepared for it. I think the Lois & Clark romance has been the shot this show has needed for a while.

With Clark jacked into Lois's mind, that had to be some awkward sex for him. Future him was feeling himself in Lois while present him was feeling himself in Lois the other way. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. LOL. And, awkward is a really weird word. I had to look it up to make sure I was spelling it right.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

What is Absolute Justice? Edit: I did my own research. It's funny that even though I skimmed Todd's linked article, I completely missed that there was going to be a movie event.

The show usually goes on hiatus at this time of year. It sucks since I wasn't prepared for it. I think the Lois & Clark romance has been the shot this show has needed for a while.

With Clark jacked into Lois's mind, that had to be some awkward sex for him. Future him was feeling himself in Lois while present him was feeling himself in Lois the other way. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. LOL. And, awkward is a really weird word. I had to look it up to make sure I was spelling it right.
Even stranger, Lois has had sex with Clark... but doesn't remember it. Clark hasn't had sex with Lois... but does remember it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Smallville returns tonight!

We get "Absolute Justice" next Friday", as tonight's episode is a bit Oliver-centric.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks