What's new

Smallville - Season 7 thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

LOL, I think it's the booming thing they do with his voice, even when he's threatening he sounds soothing.

And hell yes! I liked Routh but I always go back to that doctored picture of Welling from last year...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I will spoilerize the following even though it is not directly releated to Smallville. It is however, pretty fascinating, and may ultimately impact on the series...
The New Entertainemnt Weekly has an article about the proposed Justice League of America movie. According to their sources, Warner Bros. will begin production in Australia next February with George Miller (Happy Feet) directing.

Now, what's really interesting is what they don't speculate on. First, they say that Bale is not expecetd to star as Batman, and although Routh has said he'd be happy to reprise his Superman role for the film, it is not clear that Warner Bros. wants him. They say it is highly unlikely that either will be in the film, since it is especially important for the studio to not upset the apple cart of those existing franchises (Nolan is reportedly unhappy with Warner for moving forward on the project.)

So, (and this is purely my conjecture) it certainly seems to open the door for the possibility of Wellling doing a big screen Supes. It's a natural evolutionary progression and would also give Warner a means to continue capitalizing on the popularity their Smallville star. Let's face it, best case scenario, the current show can only go another season or two. The cast is getting too old.

Think of it... in the concluding scene of Smallville, Welling finally dons the suit and then heads off with a few of his "Justice" pals to form the League. Talk about big screen buzz... WOW!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If I may vent here for a moment, I mean if I can't vent to you guys the fans of Smallville than who can I vent to?

I'm actually getting a little tired of everyone not recognizing Welling for the fine Clark Kent/Superman (and yes to me he is both) that he is. Everytime there's a new movie proposed (granted this is only the second one but still) everyone passes on him almost without even considering him because they feel that he's somehow "beneath" their project becaise he's on a television show, and that the show isn't "really" the real story of Superman.

This show is as valid as any movie or comic and everyone on it and involved with it does a fine job, especially Welling...the best darn pre-Metropolis Clark ever put on screen and i'm certain would be one of the greatest post-Metropolis Clarks as well if someone would give the god damn man a shot.

They act like the show is either meaningless or doesn't exist and as a fan of both Superman and this show it's beginning to irritate me to no end. I beat a dead horse every year it seems that Welling could be one of the best Supermen ever if given a shot. It seems like an agent calls a director up to direct a new Supes movie and the conversation goes something like this...

Agent/producer whatever...
"Hello, Mr. Singer, we're going ahead with another Superman movie and we'd like you to be our director."

Singer...
"I would love to do another Superman movie, who do you see as Supes?"

Agent/producer whatever...
"Well the fans really like Tom Welling from Smallv..."

And before he even finishes the sentence...

Singer...
"NO!! Next."

Why? :confused: Does he not look the part? Do you think he wouldn't be any good? I've never heard anyone give me a good answer as to why they passed on him or never even considered him except for their apparent predjudice against television. Is it because Welling himself doesn't want to? I know he's expressed negative feelings about wearing the suit on the show but surely he wouldn't pass on a chance to play Superman in a major film would he?

It's shallow, lame and it's depriving us of a great Superman IMO. And please don't start in with "Tom Welling's acting is wooden..." etc because one can't say how good or bad a job he would do as Supes because he's never been given that opprotunity, including me, I have no clue if he'd live up to my expectations but he's an actor and i'm sure he'd rise to the occasion.

But we'll never know.

Sorry, guys, i'm not angry at you i'm angry at the system and you don't even have to respond to anything i've said if you don't want to, just needed to get it off my chest and in typed form, not really intended to be a subject of disection and discussion, I said pretty much the same things last year, maybe not all at once like I did here but pretty much and i'll probably say the same things again next year lol...it's my routine for coping with a non-theatrical Welling Superman. ;)

Rant over, i'm feeling better already. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say his acting is wooden, but he does seem to have a very limited range - he's pretty good as teenaged Clark Kent, but whenever he's had to get outside that comfort zone (red K, "Bizarro", shapeshifters), he's been fairly awful. Playing Superman with the dual identity seems like it would be a recipe for disaster. He's gotten better in the past few years, but I still don't think he's close to being capable of something like that moment in the first movie where Reeve changes from being perceived as Clark to being perceived as Superman.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I have to agree with you. Welling does well and has come a long way from when he was a Jeans Model. But he is somewhat limited. Look at Bizarro, was it really played any differently from Clark on Red K.. not really, some of that is the writers fault for distancing themselves from the "Frankenstein" Bizzaro from the comics, but some of it has to be placed on the shoulders of welling. But, IMHO Routh isn't much better and welling certainly would'nt be worse. As far as Justice League I heard it was to be a CGI Film. But I think the Biggest inhibitor is Welling himself he's fine being Clark, but he's been rather reluctant to Don the costume and be Supes.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Is this something you read somewhere or is it a comment attributed to Welling? I never heard about this and would like to know more.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
won't be tackling the rest of the season until the DVD (or HD media) comes out. 2busy, but i did catch season premiere just so i can see the conclusion from last year. as i predicted the bizarro thread pretty much resolved itself in the first ep... in fact, by 15min. in you felt as if you were "back to normal".

re: welling's performance. i think human beings can stretch and grow when given the opportunity. i really believe that the producers of this series hasn't given most of the actors a chance to stretch and grow unless the actors really push for it. out of the entire cast i believe only chloe+lana really pushed their performances... but clark and lex hasn't really tried as much. most of them just kinda' going with the flow, status quo. you almost feel as if they know what the show is and they're going to stick to their acting mold. the producers are also sticking with the 'fun factor' not really pushing the series into serious modes... much. i know this is sacrilege, but even lois+clark pushed further into the drama more than this series ever attempted. that's why i believe you don't see a lot of good performances except for some of the guest stars sometimes.

anyway, it was a very entertaining season opener. the superchic is pretty hot. i have always liked how the casting/producers picked their hot chix for this series. they are definitely :emoji_thumbsup: experts in how hot chix can be =P

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I've gotta disagree with at least some of that. Michael Rosenbaum delivered great performances throughout the third season (I know, kinda old now) when he was committed to Belle Reave. Crazy is easy to play as over the top and outlandish, but he didn't.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Trying to get through this whole series. Not at Season 7 yet, just at Season 2 (in the middle) but will get there.. hopefully the freak-of-the-week stuff ends after a while. Already building some interesting plotlines, though I admit.. at this point you almost wonder if the Kents total dick-weed attitude toward Lex in the first two season help make him a jerk later (I'm supposing that happens at some point)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Chris, this isn't a major spoiler and I thought it fair to let you know that the freak-of-the-week stories continue for much of the series but my advice is to just take them as they come and try not to let them taint your opinion of the show.

Some of them are actually pretty entertaining and they help strengthen Clark's role as saviour in Smallville, it's also well worth it when you get to the main plots which are often quite juicy and put exciting new spins on Superman's origins.

About season two, one word...'Rosetta'.

And that's all i'm going to say. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'll stick with it, even with freaks of the week, as many of them are entertaining.. and hell, the show is full of eye candy.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Got that right, if I had to list all my fav Smallville babes in order, and these include those that have guest appeared and not just regulars, they would be...

Kristin Kreuk
Kelly Brook
Emmanuelle Vaugier
Adrianne Palicki
Missy Peregrym
Sarah Clark
Erica Durance
and of course Allison Mack.

Somebody should put out a calender...The Babes of Smallville. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
In the most offensive post I've ever made on HTF

I don't understand why Clark just doesn't impress the hell out of Lana & Chloe and sell them on a Three's Company arrangement.

Ok, that out of the way, and I'm sure there is fanfic to that extent, I've said my peace ;)

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
I am new to Smallville. I was very skeptical of the show.

However, I a BIG Buffy fan. Once I finished that series I looked around for something to fill in the gap.

In checking out Smallville I have read nothing but good reviews about the show.

So I took he plunge and bought seasons one and two. All I can say is that I am very impressed with the show. Much better than I had expected. For the most part the writing and acting is very good. All the characters are appealing.

I certainly intend to get all of the seasons. I like the way they are slowing building the mythos a show at a time.

Highly recommended.

This show gets the Unger's Seal of Approval.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Glad to learn your liking Smallville, Unger, welcome aboard. :cool:

BTW, saw that your a Buffy fan, have you ever watched Angel? If not I HIGHLY recommend it, every bit as great as Buffy IMO and in the opinion of many here at HTF better than Buffy.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
While we're recounting our Smallville experiences :) I more or less started the series back in February. I finished Season 6 on Saturday night, followed by the Season Premiere. I'm kinda going through withdrawal right now, not having any new Smallville to watch on a nightly basis.

I'm really enjoying this thread so far and plan on getting in on the discussion Thursday night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks