What's new

Smallville Season 5: No ENGLISH Subtitles! Why? Does R2 have them? (1 Viewer)

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
Just realized that Smallville season 5 has no English subtitles!! I don't understand why this is since seasons 1-4 had them. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know for sure whether the UK version of season 5 has English subtitles?

Thanks in advance!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since I don't have the set, I'm just guessing but is it possible that the set has closed captions (turned on via your TV) instead of English subtitles. I've seen a few TV releases that have done that.

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it has Closed Captioning but those don't help when viewing through a projector or through a TV that does not support CC.

Does no one here own the region 2 set?

No ideas why Warner left out English ST in this set only? The HD-DVD of season 5 has English STs. So, why not this?? :confused:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Cost cutting measures, according to Gord from tvshowsondvd.com. Still puzzling why HD has them, though.

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator

And, I read some place that R2 has them. So, isn't Warner cutting costs on those?

But I don't have confirmation on the R2 ST. Anybody?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
They stopped putting them on the DVDs in order to save money, but that doesn't make sense if another release has them (since they would be the same files used).

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I did a search on DVD Basen and found 2 reviews that mention it has English subtitles.

Gord

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
glad I didnt buy this from Amazon yet. I just bought seasons 1 2 3 for $17 each from amazon's sale!

Terry H

Second Unit

It also sucks because closed captions won't work in a with a progressive scan player (no 480p). They don't work with 1080i (upscaled) either.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
this means, althought I bought S1 2 3 from Amazon.com I will be buying S5 from .co.uk :frowning:

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
Folks,

I just received Smallville Season 5, region 2, from Amazon.co.uk and wanted to confirm the fact that it DOES have English subtitles unlike its region 1 counterpart.

I simply cannot understand Warner's logic... :confused:

Terry H

Second Unit
Well, it isn't just Smallville. It appears that Warner in region 1 doesn't use English subtitles on any sets. I'm not sure when it started but The West Wing season 6 and Veronica Mars season 2 do not have subtitles either. It seems clear to me that Warner execs (region 1) don't give a damn about hearing impaired viewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks