What's new

Smallville Season 4 will include an episode of "The Flash!" (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
So I can fast forward thru all that Witch possession and Stones stuff.. good.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Use an old controller, or you might wear out the FF button. :)

I'm not that into the witch thing, but the stones just seem like this season's MacGuffin. What was it, the necklace in season 1, the ship key in season 2, and . . . something in season 3.

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was an interesting way of introducing the Fortress of Solitude.

But they really didn't need Lana, the witch angle or Jensen Ackle's character. Jane Seymour could have just played a rich socialite who was obsessed with the stones and racing the Luthors to find them. She was great with both Rosenbaum and Glover.

We know that Dr. Swann was suppose to play a major role in that arc, which I think is why it seemed like the writer's struggled with it mid-season. I'd love to know what the original plan was. Hopefully Al and Miles will talk about it some day.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Well, I believe Margot Kidder's character was supposed to appear more, but:

she refused to announce that Dr. Swann had died, so they killed her off.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You might consider spoilerizing that, as there will probably be some here who haven't gotten that far in their viewing yet.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm torn, for the very first time since being introduced to the show, I too am now in a position to watch season 5 as it airs each week.

I got through all of season 4 in 2 days, yep, that's right, I have no life. :D My main problems are these...

Commercials. I'm not used to seeing them during Smallville.

Quality. I don't yet have HD and the dvd's look great on my 96" screen, cable not so much.

Waiting. Again, not used to that for this show, I love going from one to the next without stopping.

But, this show will need all the help it can get this season because that timeslot and night will prove to be a slaughter for the show I think, stupid move on the WB's part IMO. Besides, after the doozey of an ending of season 4, there's no way I can resist seeing the Fortress of Solitude being constructed, Lex becoming evil, Clark coming within mere steps of becoming Superman and of course Brainiac! :emoji_thumbsup:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Elijah,

It wasn't that. She wanted a lot more money. And the producers refused.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I just got my copy of Smallville S4 last week and have begun pouring through it. I'm really excited, because now I can watch the final half of the season (along with the final third of Enterprise S4) I missed when my family and I moved from MS to AL at the end of February. Since we're now in our new house, we've decided not to get cable, so my "wait and see" is more by choice, which means waiting until next September for S5 on DVD (very possible, given that most of the previous sets have come out just prior to the start of the next season).

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Actually, this is the first set to come out before the next season starts. Seasons 1 & 2 came out in the middle/at the end of Season 3, and Season 3 came out in November of last year, after Season 4 had already aired several episodes.

Robert G. Flore

Auditioning
I bought Smallville the first day it came out at SAM's Club and the FLASH episode was NOT included. A couple of days later I was at Target and they also had the "generic" (sans stickers) version of Smallville. Last night however, I was at Sam's and Target and they both have the sticker versions! I'm very disappointed in the WB since they have yet to come up with a solution. This is no way to treat the consumer. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to find a Flash disc some other way.

By the way, I will try to catch Smallville season 5 week to week for the final season. I hope they try to keep this show going by way of a spin-off. I'm thinking Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Adam Strange, Captian Marvel or Hawkman would be good properties to do the teen-angst, what makes a hero, treatment.

Also, a few thougths on season 4. I'm not too hot on the witch storyline, but I think it's important regarding what makes Clark become Superman. Not many people know Supes' other weakness is magic. Some of the more formidible villians he used to face off with in the comics are from the supernatural plane (Silver Banshee, Neron, and Lord Satanus). Anyway, I'm glad they're acknowledging this aspect. I was happy to see Mr. Mxyptlk, too, but I was disappointed he wasn't from the 5th Dimension like in the comics. He's also another villain who Superman is relatively helpless against as he has magic-based powers, too. Over all, I think the series has gotten better each year. Too bad Reeve died - I would like to hear what the original plans for season four entailed.

Talk later!
Robert

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
Before "Smallville", Al Gough and Miles Millar pitched a Lois Lane series to the WB. I'm surprised the thought of doing a spin-off based on that with Erica Durance(who's been greatly received by critics and fans) hasn't come up.

John*D

Second Unit

This isn't the final season. If you are Canadian then you probably saw those commercials saying it was. That was an error on part of SPACE or whoever airs SMALLVILLE.

Not the last season by a longshot!

Robert G. Flore

Auditioning
John D - I'm pretty sure this is it. What is your source?

Ever since the series started they said it was going to be a five year run. Plus, the Supes movie comes out next year after this series ends. WB has a problem with two different forms of the same property getting exposure at the same time (unless it's a cartoon).

The reason why there isn't a young Flash TV series is because of the anticipated movie. The WB
(and pretty much any movie company) thinks us dumb viewers will get confused if there are two different actors playing the same character.

The Young Bruce Wayne series didn't get a green-light because the WB wanted to relaunch the Batman movie franchise (in fact, one proposed episode was called "Smallville" and the WB wanted that developed into a series instead).

I'm pretty sure this is the last season, then the movie is released along with a cartoon relaunch (ala Batman Begins and the new Batman cartoon).

I'm disappointed about it, and I like the show, but like Babylon 5, I'm pretty sure this was a planned 5 year run from the start. I'd be happy to be wrong on this one.

Robert G. Flore

Auditioning
I stand corrected...a little digging revealed this interview:

So as Lex continues to get darker as the show progresses, the question must be asked: How many more years will Smallville run?

“I say seven seasons,” Gough admits. “It seems to be what shows in this genre can do and do well. Certainly in our case suddenly you’re bumping up against ‘Why the f*** isn’t he putting on the suit?’ I say that’s probably a good number. Will it end with him putting on the suit? And Lex making that last step to evil? Yeah, absolutely.”

I'm happy to hear this.

Robert

John*D

Second Unit

Who else... Kryptonsite.com

--------------

Anyway...

I just finished watching S4 on DVD. I too was surprised by all the deleted scenes, some of them would have been great if put into the episodes, but they only have so much time (~43 minutes which includes opening/ending credits).

I'm still disappointed with the extras. I liked the Lois featurette but missed Terri not being involved. The behind the scenese of the writing team doing the Forever episode was nice.

I'd like to see more of those writing sessions like what Lions Gate does for The Dead Zone.

I would also want to more info on the special effects, casting, costume design, production design, stunts, and all that other good stuff...

Just add a 7th disc and it would be great!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that on the Lois Lane featurette, there was no mention of Phyllis Coates (Lois from "Adventures of Superman" S1 and "Superman and the Mole Men") or Kate Bosworth (Lois in the upcoming "Superman Returns"). Still a great featurette, nonetheless.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
What disc had the Lois featurette? I put my set up already and didn't remember to look at most of the extras.

I didn't much like the deleted scene from Pariah that featured Jason, because I thought it made him too much of a dick. Well, it turned out to be a pretty accurate guide to his character after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks