What's new

Smallville season 10 (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by pitchman

I am still enjoying the current season, but I have say the vigilante registration act storyline is less than original (X-Men, Watchmen, Iron Man, etc.) and not compelling in the least. Hopefully this arc has run its course and we can return to seeing how Clark finally fulfills his destiny and becomes the Man Of Steel.

That's the exact same thing I was mostly thinking. How dull, boring and lazy can the writers get? You have such great material with the characters to draw from and this is the best they could create for a story line? This has been done before as mentioned with Marvel comics and anyone who has read them already sees the connection. If I was Marvel I would be having a field day with this and talking about how DC can't come up with anything creative of their own and have to copy their work. Seriously, it amazes me how some people can get jobs as show writers when so much better talent exists. It's like they say, who you know is more important than what you know.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Patrick. I don't think we were supposed to think that General Slade Wilson is representative of the whole United States Armed Forces, or even himself generally. What you have with Slade is a normally hawkish, slightly paranoid man who was exploited by the Darkseid into this extremist who feels the need to murder vigilantes. One thing I liked was that Clark actually stood up for the Vigilante Registration Act and Slade at first, acknowledging the issues that masked heroes accountable to no one present to a democratic society. The Clark Kent of this series genuinely believes in America and its ideals, and Aquaman and his fishy wife make him uncomfortable for that reason. Superman is an intrinsically American superhero; Aquaman is not.

So while there were clear allusions in the episode to black sites and Guantanamo, the scenario was sufficiently muddled and exaggerated that I don't think the show was trying to comment on those directly, but rather use the power of their imagery for dramatic effect. A more apt parallel would have been using the underwater prisons for superpowered vigilantes who broke the law in the course of their pursuits and refused to register. I think we can all agree that locking Oliver up after he followed procedures would have been unjust, but what about Aquaman and his wife? When you boil right down to it, they're essentially eco-terrorists. If a superpowered being is operating within a nation's sovereign borders in a manner contrary to the laws and interests of that nation, why shouldn't the nation be allowed to stop them?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm slowly catching up on the last three episodes, starting with "Ambush." While I understand why this particular story had to be told for the greater Lois/Clark and Oliver/Tess relationships, I felt the General's issues with Clark should have been seen over multiple episodes to keep it from seeming shoehorned in. It was a sweet ending to the show, clearly setting up thing to come and, perhaps, a return appearance by the General and Lucy later in the season. Fine for Smallville, but not great.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Wow!! Lional is back, only he is from an alternate universe. I wonder what he will thing of this universe where Clark was raised by the Kents and is a good guy?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nope, sorry. Didn't like Luthor one bit. As a way of "outing" Tess as a Luthor, yeah, it works. As a way of bringing John Glover back, again, it works. Sure, as a regular December episode, it was fun and action-y and kept in the spirit of the comics. However, we're coming down to the last dozen or so episodes of Smallville. There are major storylines which need to be addressed before adding the return of Lionel Luthor from an alternate Earth into the mix. The Darkseid story, for instance, seems to have been given a back seat right now. Then there's the Vigilante Registration Act. It would be nice to see Mrs. Kent one last time. Clark and Jor-El probably need to reconnect. No doubt we'll be getting at least one more JLA show. The "new" Lex needs to be wrapped up. Chloe needs to be found.

I did, however, like how Lionel spoke directly to the camera (and the audience) in the final shot. Something about sticking around since he wouldn't miss what was going to come next. Totally amateurish writing and it felt terribly goofy...but I keep thinking about it nonetheless.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
One of the better episodes of the season, IMO. In particular, the scribes did a nice job with the Hawkman character. His personal sacrifice to save Lois, although predictable based on the episode title, was still handled deftly. We know he'll be back at some point in time (albeit probably not on Smallville) but his death and funeral were still more emotionally charged than I expected them to be. Clark's proposal to Lois was well done, too. They easily could have dragged it out, but he literally pops the question and she says, "Yes". Nice. Now, we have a six week hiatus before we finally see how everything gets wrapped up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a complete mess. There was no explanation of how we got from Slade being a rogue operator far exceeding his presidential mandate to the Vigilante Registration Act effectively imposing martial law on the United States of America. It happened too fast with too little provocation to be believable and, as Greg said earlier, it's not much fun rooting against the United States of America on a show like this. Superman's supposed to be for Truth, Justice and the American Way. Turning America into a Soviet-esque security state is antithetical to that vision.

I did like that they didn't drag out the proposal, though. Compared to "Lois & Clark", this was a breath of fresh air.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I couldn't figure out what was going on, it was almost like there was an episode we didn't see missing. The last I knew, I thought Slade was on the run after his hideout in Alaska was destroyed, and they were worried what would happen next.

(OH damnit, this having to flip to source mode to change paragraphs is COMPLETELY annoying )

But then we jump to this episode and the characters act as though this has been growing for a while, stickers are now up on the signs showing a cross through the "S" and they mourn that "the people are turning against us" .... What happened? I can't figure out how we got from the last episode to this episode, it was just a really wild shift in what I thought. I kept thinking I missed an ep, I looked back through the DVR..

The action was good, but I also couldn't figure out how all of the sudden the old heroes were back, and was he implying he'd be re-incarnated or something? I'm just totally lost now

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Definitely valid points, Adam and Matt. I guess after all these years of series reboots and wild shifts in story lines (often without explanation), I pretty much view each Smallville episode as a stand-alone. Sure, there's a mythology in there somewhere, not to mention a general story arc, but beyond that, so much of what happens on Smallville seems completely random to me. I guess your complaints about time compression don't personally phase me anymore (although I absolutely agree with the legitimacy of them). If they did bother me, I would have checked out of this program long ago, but that's just me. So many things about time annoy me on this show, I just learned to live with them. For example, the way Kent farm is portrayed in recent years, you'd think Smallville was literally around the block from Metropolis. Where once upon a time, only Clark zipped back and forth between the two cities, now, EVERYONE travels to and from on a moment's notice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually did check out of this program long ago because of these issues, but I checked back in with the season premiere and the show has generally been better at being consistent until this week's episode.

Matt: In the "Smallville" universe, Hawkman and Hawkgirl are cursed to be reincarnated throughout the ages. Each lifetime, Hawkman finds his love, marries her, only to have her cruelly taken from him prematurely. Then he must live out the rest of his life alone until he himself dies and the process repeats again. It's not entirely clear, but I think Hawkman remembers all of his previous lives, while I think Hawkgirl doesn't.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And here I was hoping I wouldn't need to revisit all the reasons I didn't like "Luthor," primarily it's placement in the season. Imagine that episode not having taken place and the plot of "Icarus" being spread between two episodes. We could have seen the build up to the very anti-hero sentiment instead of just hearing about it in the teaser. More on why the people are supporting it and the lies being told. More on the heroes being underground and having to narrowly escape until they were eventually caught. A longer sequence at the end during the funeral. Some explanation about Slade; I thought for a while he was inhabited by Darkseid and that would be the reason he was against the heroes. But when Clark zapped him away...that theory went out the window.

At the very least, something to bridge "Luthor" and "Icarus" needed to be shown to establish the curfew (is it for everyone in every corner of the country or just Metropolis? What's the reason behind it? Why are "regular" civilians going along with it? How does the Daily Planet have military officers doing pat downs inside the building-isn't it private property? Nobody notices Emile, Tess, Kat and Lois all mysteriously disappear when being interrogated? What about Luthor Corp. security? The military goes right in and destroys, again, private property?). Add into that the flashback with Chloe, the note and all the fate jazz...

"Icarus" just makes "Luthor" even worse in my book. This should really have been two episodes.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Here matt, have a glass of this nice refreshing Kool Aid!

Originally Posted by mattCR

(OH damnit, this having to flip to source mode to change paragraphs is COMPLETELY annoying )

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I thought it was a complete mess. There was no explanation of how we got from Slade being a rogue operator far exceeding his presidential mandate to the Vigilante Registration Act effectively imposing martial law on the United States of America. It happened too fast with too little provocation to be believable and, as Greg said earlier, it's not much fun rooting against the United States of America on a show like this. Superman's supposed to be for Truth, Justice and the American Way. Turning America into a Soviet-esque security state is antithetical to that vision.

I did like that they didn't drag out the proposal, though. Compared to "Lois & Clark", this was a breath of fresh air.

I totally hated just about everything in this episode and the direction most of the season is being written. While I did enjoy some of the hero scenes like Hawkman saving Lois and the actual proposal, nothing about this season have I enjoyed. First, there is this whole turn making Smallville very political with the writers doing some horrid scripts for no other reason than for them to have a podium for their own views as the show goes off the air. Second, never has a comic or sci-fi story hit you so hard over the head with its politics on comparisons to real life. I mean the X-Men, Star Trek, etc. all had shows that were political but they knew where to draw the line and not turn viewers away if you are on the other side of their feelings. Third, which is just as important, is this is total rip of Marvel having them had the whole Mutant Registration Act play out several years ago in their comics. Even the "Ultimate Allience 2" video game for the XBox 360 and PS3 had some plots from this in that game. I mean, not only is it lazy and bad form to copy someone else for their work, but it proves they had no creative thoughts of their own. There is so much wealth that has been done with these characters that just about anyone can come up with a LOT better story lines for them, especially in their final season.

For me, this has all but ruined the seasons I have watched before it since I have little hope of them saving the few shows left. It will certainly leave a bad taste I am sure when I finish it and it won't be something I will ever watch again.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Having lost interest in the show quite some time ago, it appears I'm not missing anything.

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by RobertR

Having lost interest in the show quite some time ago, it appears I'm not missing anything.

Heh, yes, me too, but, morbid curiosity sometimes gets the better of me.

Saberoph

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I like this season so far except for a few things...by now Clark should already be flying, the whole Kara teaching Clark to fly should had been last season. I hate the Vigilante Registration story, it should just be a manhunt instead. I don't like they establish Supergirl before Superman. And I hope to God they don't throw the suite and have Tom fly at just the very end of series...if they do I will HATE smallville for it. What they need to do is something like stage the Blur's death, then have Clark start showing up at the Planet in his suit and glasses, then before the final showdown have him go to the fortress for Jor-El's approval for the Superman's suit.

I would be happy if they have that Doctor guy inject something in Clark (of course holding Blue Kryptonite) to make it appear his heart actually stopped and died...they could even hold a funeral for The Blur, then Clak's story arc really starts with him going to work at the Planet in a suit with glasses (all of this could easily fit in an episode and have time to spare in that episode without it being rushed). Then Clark returns to settle his differences with Jor-El, but he tells Clark if he TRULY was ready to accept his destiny he would've achieved flight by now, then Clark proves him wrong by taking off for a full flight. Clark returns and says he's ready, Jor-El agree's with him and releases the superman suit from it's crystal box...there's a bright light and we cut to see Superman taking off in-flight after Darkseid. Well that's how I see it with how everything is now.

Saberoph

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I would also like to add that the Finale should be done like Absolute Justice was length wise. I mean it's a Series Finale it shouldn't just fit in an hour window. By episode 20 Clark should be flying and in the tights (I know that probably won't happen but it should). I realize Smallville has it's own continuity but in the comics Doomsday cannot die, he is the Ultimate killing machine...he was only knocked out and buried underground. I know this is a stretch but in Smallville could Doomsday had been just knocked out underneath all that rubble and somehow Darkseid revive him and fight (I can safely say we all hope) Superman through Doomsday. Even for Smallville could that even be possible?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Teaser poster for the final stretch of episodes:
sml_24x36_poster_sloga1f70.jpg

Saberoph

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I don't like it either, but maybe instead of Clark ending the series starting out as Superman it's the opposite...he ends it starting his Clark persona. I know it probably wont happen but wishful thinking. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks