What's new

Smallville pre-Season 5 thread (SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:frowning: We're in trouble.

I just learned that Smallville is going to be on at 8 o'clock, which will pit it smack-dab up against The O.C. on FOX...we're in trouble.

I realize that Smallville has it's audience, but those are probably the same people who also watch The O.C. and given a choice, which will they choose to watch?

What in God's name is the WB thinking with this!? Smallville is going to get creamed against that show.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They're thinking that they can charge more for ads on Thursday night than Wednesday night, and that Smallville is an established program that doesn't need to be coddled with a non-competitive timeslot.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
That's a pretty big gamble for Smallville, I can't decide if it's incredibly brave for the WB to do this or incredibly stupid.

Hopefully this gamble will work out. Personally I would rather watch a show about a fledgling superhero than yet another 90210 re-hash, but that's just me. :)

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
According to this article it doesn't sound like the WB is too worried.

Besides, the WB is a netlet and doesn't have the same type of affiliate strength as the big three networks or even Fox, so I don't think beating the OC really matters to them.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
Damn it! Why did you make me like him so. I don't want Lex to become Lex, but I know that he must otherwise the show would be wrong. I hope that at least on some level deep deep within resides a smidgin of goodnes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Billy,
that's one of the thing's I love about this show, they are portraying Lex as a villian with heart, or at least when he becomes a villian, whether or not he retains that heart remains to be seen, though, but the way the show is establishing him, it doesn't seem the show's style to have him be just straight-up evil as we've seen in the past.

I actually can't wait to see him turn evil and committ his first truly terrible deed, it'll be every bit as heartbreaking and exhilerating as seeing Anakin fall to the dark side and become Darth Vader.

Michael Rosenbaum is bringing so much depth to the character of Lex Luthor, even eclipsing Gene Hackman which isn't too hard, I always hated Hackman's turn as Lex, he's too funny and not nearly as fleshed out or mean for my taste.

There was some speculation on the Superman homepage about what might happen to finally pit Clark and Lex at serious odd's with each other for life...

They think that Lex will somehow and for whatever reason kill Chloe, which of course will anger Clark immensley, it would even make sense for Clark to continue his deceased friends work and motivate him to become a certain mild-mannered reporter that we all know.

They also said that it's really only a matter of time before the ticking time bomb that is the Lex and Lionel relationship will explode and Lex kill's his own father.

Now, i'm not sure about the first one, it would make sense, but who knows? The second one however, well, it doesn't take a criminal mastermind to see where that's headed.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well last year they had it opposite Enterprise. Caused me a big hassle recording the 2 shows for time-shifting/commercial skipping purposes.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
When clark becomes superman I can't see how Lex won't know that it's him. Maybe what ever goodness is left in him chooses not to divulge the secret to the world. Or I quess the evil part of him see it as some kind of personal game between them similar the challenges between Lex and lionel. Although I don't think they have portrayed Clark as being equally intellectually as Lex, even though in the comic books he is.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I think that once Clark returns from the north, he will be changed by what he learns there, that's when he will become Lex's intellectual equal, at least I think so, but again, who know's.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it may not shake out that way in this version of the story. I fully expect Lex and Lois to know exactly what's going on when Superman makes his first public appearance (or figure it out quickly), but to keep quiet for their own reasons.

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
I think because of his history with Clark, not to mention the Naman/Sageeth legend written on the Kwatchi cave walls, Lex will believe it's his own personal mission to bring Superman down and that's why he won't expose his true identity to the world.

As for this season, it sounds more and more like the Clark/Lana/Lex triangle is going to happen..

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
When does the first new show air? I just browsed thru this thread, and didn't see it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
www.kryptonsite.com has an interview with Al Gough. And he reveals this tidbit that DC Universe fans will like...

I think this is the season, as a fan, you've been waiting for. This is the season you'll see Lex turn bad. You'll see Clark and Lana together. You'll see Clark taking on his mantle, we say it's sort of Superman in training. And you're going to see a lot more of the DC Universe coming in. Obviously the Fortress of Solitude, the Daily Planet. There'll be more Metropolis stories. You'll see Aquaman, Brainiac, and potentially other DC characters. So I think it's the season the fans have been waiting for

-I love the idea of moving Supes into the mainstream of the DC Universe. This could give the opportunity for them to show DC heroes who may never get a chance at a live action show or movie.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
That's some cool news, although the problems with the show aren't the characters so much as sloppy writing and some poor acting/casting.

It'd be funny if they cast Adrian Grenier from "Entourage" as Aquaman, since that's Vince's current project on the show.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
See, Jesse, that's all subjective, for instance I find nothing wrong with the writing and acting, for a show of this kind they're fine IMO.

As for that news, that's awesome! Finally, were getting to the meat of the whole thing and seeing it start to come together with Lex becoming evil and Clark starting his road towards Superman!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks