What's new

Smallville or Ed? (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I realize that I may be part of a very small group, but I'm completely p***ed about the WB's moving "Smallville" to Wednesdays and NBC keeping "Ed" on that same night. While I have A TIVO, I can't watch one and record the other, especially not in High Def.

I'm madder at the WB since I suspect that part of the reasoning behind the "Smallville" move was to shore up "Angel" which, brother Kleist notwithstanding, is moribund. And with no Sunday EZ View, I have to choose. It'll probably be "Ed." A small thing for sure. But it stinks just the same.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Well, I'm going to watch one and record the other on my VCR (haven't gotten a TIVO...yet). However, I'm upset because I wanted to try and see how Enterprise's new direction was going. But I'll pick Ed/Smallville over Ent. any day of the week.

Looks like I'll just have to try and catch it on Saturday now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ah...VCRs are cheap if you really need to record 2 shows while watching a 3rd at the same time slot. I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of my 3 ReplayTV setup this fall season. :)

I'll be watching Smallville in HDTV because it just feel right to watch it in HD vs. Ed, and oh, I don't quite get NBC in HD with my current antenna setup yet, so the choice is much easier...

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I feel exactly the same way. Too bad for me, no VCR, Tivo, etc. I'll be watching Ed, and Smallville during commercials :) . I really wish the WB would keep Sunday's EZ View repeats of the current season instead of going to Smallville: Beginnings. No need to show season 1 and 2 again.

Cmmon' WB, pretty please w/ sugar on top!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But VCRs are like $50 or less if you get them on sale some times. Don't let a small amount for the VCR rob you of some good, otherwise, inexpensive entertainment.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
But VCRs are like $50 or less if you get them on sale some times. Don't let a small amount for the VCR rob you of some good, otherwise, inexpensive entertainment.
It's not the money, Patrick. It's that my TIVO is connected to my digital cable box. (I get HDTV via Cox of Fairfax, VA.) Renting a second box, which i assume would be the procedure, to record "Smallville" strikes me as excessive, especially since, as I noted earlier, I suspect that the decision that nessecitates this strategy is a desire to prop up a show whose raison d' etre and direction went "poof!" last year.

What I'm hoping for is that whatever took "Smallville's" place on Tuesday night goes into the toilet fast and the WB moves it back. Or, that it finds the ratings on Wednesdays at 8 lower than it used to be.

I know that I'm part of a tiny minority but, in the end, Smallville, for all its charms, is another teen angst show, albeit the best ever made. "Ed" is sui generis.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Nope, I am in the same situation, and I will be choosing Ed. As much as I like Smallville, I enjoy Ed quite a bit more. And I don't get either in HD, so that isn't a factor.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You can still split off your cable feed and record the analog cable TV signal with a 2nd VCR or TIVO (tell it the hook up is direct cable TV hookup). Just because you have "Digital Cable" doesn't mean you don't get the analog feed that's feeding your neighbor without the digital cable box setup.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ed's about a lawyer who runs his firm out of a bowling alley and juggles at least two relationships at any given time that never seem to go anywhere.

(Can you tell I'm a Smallville fan?;))

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Ed finally got Carol to see things his way. They get to explore their relationship this season, instead of subjecting the viewers to a 3rd season of Ed chasing Carol and vice-versa.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Ed's about a lawyer who runs his firm out of a bowling alley and juggles at least two relationships at any given time that never seem to go anywhere.
Well, when you put it that way, Smallville is about a teenager who is also juggling two relationships that never seem to go anywhere, either. :D Like Ed, Clark has problems with commitment: he has managed to break both Lana and Chloe's hearts. And a third woman who loved him died. Actually, Carol and Franky should consider themselves fortunate.

For our British cousins, Ed is a quirky combination of comedy and drama about second chances that insists, Thomas Wolfe notwithstanding, that you can go home again.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Not a problem as I have HD recording capability. Now Enterprise is another matter but since it's not HD yet I'll tape it. Later this year I should have a Comcast HD/SD PVR which will pick up the load as HD conflicts become more frequent.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Count me in the Smallville camp. Ed fits into a list of shows that I have heard alot about, and realize that they're pretty good, but I just don't have the time to worry about. Actually Enterprise fits that bill too, although as an old ST fan, I check up on it from time to time. I also don't have HD yet, so that's not an issue. For me That 70's Show is my other show in that slot.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with Smallville, but I also lost patience with Ed about a year and a half ago, midway through the second season. Supposedly, they've set themselves up to make a turnaround, but it's too late for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks