What's new

Small speaker system question (1 Viewer)

myhippocket

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
Hi all,
I am in the market for a small 5.1 speaker system for the family room. Like many others, I have to consider the WAF and have received approval to spend up to $1500 on the system. I have a Yamaha RXV659 receiver and the room is about 13X15. Speakers will be used 50% for music and 50% for movies.

So after much reading in this forum and other investigating I have narrowed the choice to three sets of speakers that have passed the WAF and are readily available in my area (small town Canada…..in other words, systems I can order online and that will ship to/within Canada at a reasonable price). They are:

1) KEF - KHT2005
2) Polk - RM20
3) Orbs

I would very much appreciate getting peoples opinions on which of these three you would choose if limited to these. I am sure many of you have much more experience with these manufactures/systems than I.

Thanks very much!

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
What about the new Def Tech ProCinema 800 system? They've received a design update, and now have passive radiators to extend their low end, somewhat like the Mythos series, and S&V liked them. The package includes a decent little sub as well.

Of the three you listed, it seems like the only one without much of a reputation to go on is the Orb system. KEF, PolkAudio, and Definitive Technology have been around for quite some time. I'd expect any Best Buy store with the Magnolia home theater division to carry the Def Tech.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second that vote for the def.tech's.If you can have a listen to the procinema 100's.I had them for 4 years and they were fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks