What's new

Small monitor sugestions (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I am upon my next project. I am looking to build a pair of mini monitors, two way actively crossed. I am looking for extension on the lowend but nothing to big for the enclosure, I know I am asking for best of both worlds but I know there a some ideas out there. I was looking at the Adire Extremis 6.8 kit and thought I could just buy the drivers separately and build the active crossover.

I am just looking for something similar, in cab size and extension. Price limit on the drivers is around 350 for all of them.

Let me know if you guys know of any plans, and attach the links.

Thanks

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I say go for it... just pick any drivers you want and then you can figure out the crossover. It will be fun even if the result is not worth it on the basis of performance for price alone. And you'll always be able to keep/modify the crossover if you change the speakers to something larger (which I bet you will). Are you planning to build something like a Rod Elliott kit, a breadboard circuit, or something completely from scratch?

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
If you're getting the "benefits" of active XO from the Rod Elliott page, be aware that he is talking about generic, textbook crossovers. If the crossovers are custom designed for the drivers, there is really no difference, except that a passive XO will stop amp distortion from coming out the woofer.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
my biggest thing is power absorption of passive xo, and there's some things that you just can't do in passive

Mark gas

Second Unit
Instead of building an active xover why not just buy an adjustable active xover like something from Behringer or a cheap car xover with a wall wart for a power supply?
That way you will be able to adjust xover points n the fly.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
With one of those commercial crossovers it might be tough to get flat frequency response. I don't know which are best at adjustments to deviate from textbook filters. You could probably get away with using one for a speaker where the drivers overlap a great deal (so long as you can still take care of baffle step.) I ended up designing and building one from scratch. The cost ends up around $200.

By the way, it doesn't matter that Rod Elliott was using plain filters as examples. The active crossovers are still helpful for improving damping and tolerating driver impedance nonlinearities. And, passive 8th order crossovers are expensive!

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I can def do an active cross over cheaper then a passive one, I have about 30 BB op amps sitting right here i got as free samples. The caps and resistors, even nice ones shouldn't run me more then 50 bucks, wafer board and PS shouldn't be more then 30ish so I am still a head of the game compared to a pro adjustable active cross over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks