What's new

Small bookshelfs - BIC vs Infinity Primus (1 Viewer)

SonicSC

Grip
Real Name
Stacy Carson
Anybody got a quick recommendation for me? I'm on the verge of buying the BIC DV62sis for my small home theater room mains to replace a pair of 7" tall Boston Acoustics that came in my 5.1 set, but are sounding very tired to me. (No, I don't *think* it's the fact that I just turned 50.)
rolleyes.gif
I would also swap out the center channel for the DV62CLRS, but I would keep the BA surrounds and sub.

I'm not really interested in going to the trouble of modding the DV62sis, but I'm a bit shy of the high end that I've heard about. The other speakers I'm considering are the Infiniti Primus P153s, along with a complementary center channel.

Other specs - Denon EV-300 amp

Suggestions for BIC or Infinity? Or something else?

Also interested to hear recommendations for wall mounts for these new speakers. Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
but are sounding very tired to me
A speaker's sound doesn't change with age unless there is a component failure. If your caps in the crossover are leaking then it is a few dollars to replace them. If your woofer foam is deteriorating, that's pretty easy to replace as well. Outside of those two things, there is no wear and tear on a driver.

SonicSC

Grip
Real Name
Stacy Carson
Thanks for that info. Well, maybe it is my age then. In which case I should go for the BICs which have a very bright sound. I think I'll wait to see if there are any other responses that address the actual speaker comparison first, though.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
These

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/328282-pioneer-andrew-jones-51-speaker-system-review/

I compared the P163 directly to the BS22LR (the 153 would have been a closer comparison, but the BS22s were the same price as the 163s). I found the BS22s handled more things better and were just more pleasing overall. We can only offer our own opinions, ultimtely you need to try to listen to the speakers in question because everyone's preference is different. No brightness with them, but they're a bit laid back so to speak; not a super warm speaker, just forgiving.

SonicSC

Grip
Real Name
Stacy Carson
Thanks, John, I appreciate the recommendation! I'm a bit torn about the phrase "no brightness". What I'm currently missing is top end, but at the same time, I don't want harshness.

I'm also thinking about HTD Level 2s if anyone has experience with those.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you go HTD...Level 3. Yes...that tweeter is sweet(no it isn't the best one, but it is a big improvement over their 2 tweeter).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
SonicSC said:
Thanks, John, I appreciate the recommendation! I'm a bit torn about the phrase "no brightness". What I'm currently missing is top end, but at the same time, I don't want harshness.

I'm also thinking about HTD Level 2s if anyone has experience with those.
You should be able to listen to the Infinitys and the BS22s at most Best Buys to get a feel for them to decide if you need more top end. Since my idea of bright is likely different than yours, I'd say you'll definitely need to go listen. When I say no brightness, I mean they don't do things wrong, they are detailed but not harsh. Not going to blow away a much more expensive speaker, but they easily hold their own for sure for the price.

Another consideration might be the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE. These are a very neutral speaker with a slight lean toward bright and are generally good with every type of listening IMHO. Small, a little more expensive, but a long time solid contender in the bookshelf arena.

When you say "tired" about the old bookshelf speakers, perhaps you have dead tweeters?

SonicSC

Grip
Real Name
Stacy Carson
I didn't realize the BS22s are available at Best Buy. I think your recommendation is a good one. I should go listen for myself. Those Ascends look great, but a bit out of my price range. The HTD Level 2s are right at the top of my range.

SonicSC

Grip
Real Name
Stacy Carson
Wow, I didn't know about B-stock, thanks for that tip. The other thing is that the Level 3s are a bit big - for the wife's appearance specifications, don'cha know. (Towers are out of the question.) I'm even more seriously considering the Level 2s now that I could get them in B-stock. But I'm definitely going to Best Buy first to hear what I can hear of what's there.

Oh, and I don't think the tweeters are blown, I just think that I'm only now fully realizing that I've never really gotten all I can get out of my system with a pair of little metal BA fronts. (Sounds obvious when I put it that way.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would recommend BA but all of their bookshelves are $200/pair and up.

The CS23/26 and A23/26 would all be my first choice...to keep the BA timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks