What's new

Slow time of the Year. (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear TV DVD Friends:

I guess it's the slow time of the year. The after Christmas/ New Year's dropoff, when things seem to drag.

The fourth quarter of the year, is the time when many companies make their profit for the year, and the first quarter . . . the slowdown (not that there aren't any pleasant surprises), but there hasn't been the quantity of news concerning classic tv releases as we've had before.

Anybody else notice this?

James

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

Dear TV DVD Friends:

I guess it's the slow time of the year. The after Christmas/ New Year's dropoff, when things seem to drag.

The fourth quarter of the year, is the time when many companies make their profit for the year, and the first quarter . . . the slowdown (not that there aren't any pleasant surprises), but there hasn't been the quantity of news concerning classic tv releases as we've had before.

James

Hi James,

I have feel the same way you do. I have only notice the following of interest too me: Hawaii Five-O (S11), Vega$ (S2-V2), Emergency! Greatest Rescue, total recall (series), Spin City, Logan's Run, etc. I am thinking this will be a slow year for dvds, especially if you based it on trends the past few years. The 1Q and 4Q tend to be best for releases. So, the fact we are seeing light 1Q it does not bold well for the rest of the year. If this is the case then i will be shopping for bargains, like Mission Impossible, Man from Uncle and/or other shows on sale.

My collection has most of the shows that i want. I am looking forward for more WB archives on the cartoons, especially release of Gilligan coming along with prior release of Speed Buggy/Addams Family/Funky Phamtom. I would be happy herculoids/jabberjaw and banana splits was released this year.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by younger1968 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by JamesSmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dear TV DVD Friends:

James

Hi James,

I have feel the same way you do. I have only notice the following of interest too me: Hawaii Five-O (S11), Vega$ (S2-V2), Emergency! Greatest Rescue, total recall (series), Spin City, Logan's Run, etc. I am thinking this will be a slow year for dvds, especially if you based it on trends the past few years. The 1Q and 4Q tend to be best for releases. So, the fact we are seeing light 1Q it does not bold well for the rest of the year. If this is the case then i will be shopping for bargains, like Mission Impossible, Man from Uncle and/or other shows on sale.

My collection has most of the shows that i want. I am looking forward for more WB archives on the cartoons, especially release of Gilligan coming along with prior release of Speed Buggy/Addams Family/Funky Phamtom. I would be happy herculoids/jabberjaw and banana splits was released this year.

James & Paul,

Agree, my take on it is similar. I also have most of what I'd want to collect for now. There's enough on the shelf to last me a long time.

I have the following in the que thru the end of March.

MANNIX S4

01/04/11

MATLOCK S6

01/25/11

THE FUGITIVE S4 V2

02/15/11

SCARECROW & MRS KING S2

03/22/11

VEGAS S2 V2

03/29/11

DENNIS THE MENACE S1 (rare pre-order)

03/29/11

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Quote:

I would be happy if the following happen this year

1. Hawaii five-o was completed

2. Adam-12 was completed

3. Vegas Completed

4. Night Gallery Completed

I have ordered Growing Pains, but, it makes me think it will be another 5 years for next season. Growing Pains was the best when Mike was in HS.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Still slow. I know things will pick up by the end of summer, but that's only 7 months.

Hmm. Still interesting tidbits here, and there. I'm still suprised when obscure westerns come out. . . .

I'm glad Reboot is coming out.

James

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Absoultely amazing! With titles being announced up until May,there's only one must-get on my list - Vega$ S2,V2.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I would agree with you that it is appearing to be a very slow year for releases. My order schedule has the following: 1. Spin City S4 2. Total Recall 2070 3.Vegas S2-V2 3. Emergency The Greatest Rescue 4. Dallas The movies

I am waiting for the announcement on Hawaii Five-O as there was talk that S11 was coming out in Apr-May time frame.

I may look at some complete series, like Mission Impossible and/or Brady Bunch. It all depends on budget and few other things.

I am also waiting for the availability of Speed Buggy and eventually jabberjaw/new adventures of Gilligan

I applaud the forum likes this allow us to share are concerns along with different websites that do an excellent job on keeping us up-to-date on the releases.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I think what frustrates me with dvd process is that whole market exploded in 2003-2007 with releases. The great recession cut into consumer spending, thus everything was cutback. However, the concerning part to me is that networks release several shows, instead of having a proper plan, like start with demand shows and complete those shows first before you release other shows. If you look at S1 releases only you will see the following

1. Silverspoons

2. Benson

3. One day at a time

4. SWAT

5. Rookies

6. Police Women

7. fantasy island

8. Kojak

I think it is catch-22 and that is you need to buy the shows if you have any hope the remaining seasons being released. I have concern with buying S1 and then not seeing anything happen for 3-5 years. So, lately i have focused on shows that are completed or nearly completed. I also shop for bargains, especially on completed sets.

I feel i have done my part to support the dvd market with my collection. My dvd collection is the only tv that i watch anymore. The reality shows or scripted reality shows have been around for a decade or more. It seems there is revival of the old shows, but, i am not sure what the traction will be on those shows. One has to think to what is going on in hollywood, especially orignality.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
It's March, and instead of the releases picking up, it feels like they're slowing down even more.

Brother! I must be spoiled, if the highlight of my day is waiting to see what new Hanna Barbara releases are coming from the Warner Brothers Archives.

And here, in the newspapers, it was mentioned that luxery items were picking up again. I was hoping that meant, Classic tv DVD releases might start climbing again.

James

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
It's true. Let's face it. The only company putting any classic tv out on dvd is Shout Factory. Everyone else seems to have stopped cold turkey. And Shout has even slowed down just a bit, not issuing as many titles in the classic department as they used to.

There still are shows needing completion. But the major studios aren't doing it. And most independent studios aren't exactly encouraged by the high licensing prices. So, how it will be resolved is anybody's guess. There just might not be any releases until someone sees there is money to be made.

For the record, here are some titles I wish would get picked up again:

MAMA'S FAMILY

HART TO HART

LAVERNE & SHIRLEY

WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW!!

HAZEL (yes, it is finally coming)

And some new ones that no one has even discussed yet:

IT'S A LIVING

ANGIE

A TOUCH OF GRACE

PRIVATE BENJAMIN

9 TO 5

GLORIA

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young

It's March, and instead of the releases picking up, it feels like they're slowing down even more.

Brother! I must be spoiled, if the highlight of my day is waiting to see what new Hanna Barbara releases are coming from the Warner Brothers Archives.

And here, in the newspapers, it was mentioned that luxery items were picking up again. I was hoping that meant, Classic tv DVD releases might start climbing again.

James

Hey James, i have been monitoring the different sites and it appears that we are in for an incredible slow year for releases. I am happy that shows are being completed this year, like Dallas, Emergency! and there is hope that with S11 coming out for hawaii five-o that this show will be completed. I am very surprised that we have not seen more releases of Adam-12, since there is on S6/S7 to come out and they have pushed out more dragnet.

I have been monitoring HB's stuff, but, it is not available as of yet too me and it should be available over the next month or so. I am very interested in valley of the dinosaurs, speed buggy, jabberjaw, funky phantom and new adventures of gilligans. I am sure there will be more HB and i hope this means i will see the herculoids and the finishing of wait till your father gets home.

I am also using this year to buy some deals, like Mission Impossible, Brady Bunch and the Man from Uncle. I basically have majority of the shows that i want to collect and may just shop bargains and cut back my expenditures over the next few years. I have doubts that some of my shows in my collection will ever be completed and i will cross that path when certain shows come out.

I have also notice double dipping this year with shows like Adam-12 and Marcus Welby releasing best episodes disk releases. So, i am wondering if the studios are gauging next releases based on this information.

If i could have wish list for my top five then the following would be it (completed series)

1. SWAT

2. Charlie's Angels

3. Night Gallery

4. Silk Stalkings

5. Baa Baa Black Sheep

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Looking forward to the following DVD releases this year (2011) ...

MARCH

29TH - Here's Lucy: Season 4, Dennis the Menace: Season 1

APRIL

12TH - Dragnet 60s: Season 4 (final season)

26TH - The Lucy Show: Season 4, Growing Pains: Season 2

MAY

17TH - All in the Family: Season 9 (final season)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Robert13
It's true. Let's face it. The only company putting any classic tv out on dvd is Shout Factory. Everyone else seems to have stopped cold turkey. And Shout has even slowed down just a bit, not issuing as many titles in the classic department as they used to.

Robert, I'd have to guess you are not a western fan. TMG has released S1 of Laramie, S3 of Virginian, and is slated to release S4 of Virginian and S3 of Wagon Train in May. I wouldn't be surprised by at least one more season this year of bothVvirginian and Wagon Train. Image is actively also pushing out the Twilight Zone's on blu-ray, not a new show to a release but a new format at least. So not everyone has stopped cold turkey.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I've heard such varied things about the economy. The USA Today reports that the "rich" are starting to buy luxery items again, but other news --gas prices going up with the turmoil in Libya, some stock markets still not stable, etc.

What does it take for a tv fan to get his favorite obscure show out on DVD?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

I've heard such varied things about the economy. The USA Today reports that the "rich" are starting to buy luxery items again, but other news --gas prices going up with the turmoil in Libya, some stock markets still not stable, etc.

What does it take for a tv fan to get his favorite obscure show out on DVD?

Having the money to start up your own DVD company and then licensing the obscure shows you want out and then releasing them. Short of that, not much. In the 80s, many of us were able to pick up our beloved obscurities through many different sources, such as new cable networks which were hungry for product and short on cash. They were picking up all kinds of short-run series. Even overseas, networks in England ran things that had never re-aired in North America. Back then, distributors still maintained 16mm syndication print libraries so any show anyone wanted to buy was available. When everything went to tape, a massive amount of series became unavailable. Even once popular shows like Our Miss Brooks, December Bride and many others ceased to be offered. So really, there's nothing you can do. The only hope at this point, and I mean the ONLY hope, is that burn on demand catches on and studios decide to empty the vaults. Even then, its highly doubtful that the promise of selling a couple of hundred copies of an obscure show would move a studio to go to the expense of a film transfer.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Definitely not a western fan. Though I did enjoy the "Stage to Yuma" episode of Father Knows Best. [/url]

Robert, I'd have to guess you are not a western fan. TMG has released S1 of Laramie, S3 of Virginian, and is slated to release S4 of Virginian and S3 of Wagon Train in May. I wouldn't be surprised by at least one more season this year of bothVvirginian and Wagon Train. Image is actively also pushing out the Twilight Zone's on blu-ray, not a new show to a release but a new format at least. So not everyone has stopped cold turkey.

[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks