What's new

"Skyline" - New Alien Invasion Film (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Anybody recognize that design they did for the claws? When the tentacles shoot out to grab the copter? I wonder if that creature is related to the alien scorpion-thing seen at the end of HOWARD THE DUCK? Still looking forward to seeing this flick.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
This is another film set in LA, isn't it? I am really getting tired about how sci-fi disaster films always include a devastated Los Angeles. It is probably fun for the executives who live there. But there are plenty of other cities that could be done instead.

The Day After Tomorrow did LA. 2012 did LA. Resident Evil: Afterlife did LA. Terminator: Salvation did LA.

Going back a bit, Galactica:1980 did LA. Escape From LA did LA.

No doubt folks here could add in a couple hundred more. Point is, it is overdone. Seeing the Hollywood sign destroyed doesn't really give non-LA residents the same rush that presumably it gives the filmmakers. They need to stop depending on it. Change things up.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
One might as well complain about Tokyo getting flattened every time Godzilla or his friends hit town.

And Galactica 1980 was simply matting Cylon Raiders into stock footage from Earthquake. Not to mention the scene in question was a computer simulation of what would happen if the Cylons found Earth.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
At least in the original "V" tv series, the visitors attacked L.A. for real. Or course, it was shameless use of stock footage from War of the Worlds.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
They almost never show San Francisco being destroyed.

No reviews on Rotten Tomatoes yet which is not a good sign.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind was Wyoming wasn't it? And Independence Day pretty much blew up a ton of major landmarks.

Though, I think it'd be good if you saw an Alien Invasion where the Aliens went to a super-metro, like Tokyo, Mumbai, Seoul, Sao Paulo... just have it one where the US and the world has to respond to something happening somewhere else.

Or, do a prequel to Ender's Game.. at least in Ender's Game they talk about the buggers first coming to Earth by wrecking havoc in China/India until the US and others got involved in fending them off. That would be a good twist.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I like almost all sci-fi movies. And I really loves me some alien movies. Hell I even somewhat enjoyed Battlefield Earth. However, I just have a sneaking suspicion that this movie will have two faces. It will have incredible alien CGI and be quite the eye candy but the acting and writing are going to be atrocious. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
They almost never show San Francisco being destroyed.
Seems like there are a few movies out there that show the Golden Gate bridge getting trashed. Superman would be one, "The Core" another. San Fran was taken over in the Sutherland "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by WillG

Seems like there are a few movies out there that show the Golden Gate bridge getting trashed. Superman would be one, "The Core" another. San Fran was taken over in the Sutherland "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus: the shark takes a bite out of the GGB.

Skyline seems to be very low budget for this type of film (reportedly only $10 million, per IMDB, on par with the latest Saw films). And the cast from television (Eric Balfour, Donald Faison) make this seem like a glorified TV movie. I've been mildly interested by the trailers, but will wait for some actual reviews. The three reviews posted at IMDB seem to indicate what some here had already expected: decent FX, laughable script.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

The three reviews posted at IMDB seem to indicate what some here had already expected: decent FX, laughable script.
I'm totally good with that. I don't expect great acting, deep plots or anything close to that with films like these. Just wow me with special effects and cool creatures and I'm a happy camper.

welshavenger10

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Lewis
Honestly, think AvP Requiem and you have an idea what to expect. If you liked that, then and only then I think this will be for you.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Just got back from seeing it, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Yeah, the effects were good, but the characters were bland, and the story was ho-hum. I suspect BATTLE: LOS ANGELES will be the better one here. If it doesn't get all CLOVERFIELD, that is.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Yeah, Patrick, that's pretty much how I feel. I suspect the Straus brothers think differently, 'cause that abrupt ending just screams sequel. INDEPENDANCE DAY was more entertaining. For some reason, now, I'm looking more forward to BATTLE: LOS ANGELES.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Generally, I can tell if a movie is gonna be any good or not, by which theater it ends up in. I was all the way down at the end, in number eight, the last theater, right next to the fire exit. I thought, hmmm, this might suck after all. When I had to go take a piss, I took my time, since it was a lllooonng walk. Generally, though, I walk fast, or jog lightly. That should have been another tip off for me. Why am I not in a hurry here? So many red flags I ignored. I blame that damn trailer for making me want to see so much. Job well done Universal. You got my money, no where's that awesome movie you promised me in that trailer?

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
This was an awful movie. Even if you're a big fan of visual effects, waiting for rental is a very wise choice. The one saving grace is that I met up with a group of old buddies that I only see a couple times a year to see this, so the price of a ticket was worth the good conversation before and after the film itself. I will try to put my thoughts of the quality of this film into SAT analogy form:

Skyline : Universal Soldier :: Universal Soldier : The Godfather 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks