What's new

SkiFi Radio Cassette Adapter Ejects (1 Viewer)

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I have installed a SkiFi2 Radio in my wife's 1999 Grand Prix and I use the cassette adapter to interface with the radio. It has a factory Bose Radio (please, no flames, it came with the car). My problem is that the XM service is interrupted when the player auto-reverses and then ejects the adapter. I think the problem is with the radios's broken tape sensor. The car manual has a procedure for disabling this feature, but it doesn't work. I have heard that there are better cassette adapters, and a new adapter may solve my problem. I did notice the wheels on the adapter that came with the car kit only work in one direction.

My question is, have other's had this problem and how did they solve it? Is a new cassette adapter the way to go? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same issue with my SkiFi and cassette adapter. Getting a new adapter took care of the problem.

I see that you hve a SkiFi2. Can't you use the FM modulator? I don't know that there is a lot of difference between the 2. I have just changed my unit out to a kenwood with line inputs and the sound is better. Don't know if that is an option for you.

Dennis_H

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks Dennis. Do your adapter wheels run in both directions? I was just wondering if this might be the problem. I will pick up a new adapter. Which brand do you use?

The FM modulator does not work very well in the Grand Prix. Sometimes the signal is good and sometimes not. I tried it when I first hooked it up and the signal quality varied as I moved around in the drivers seat. The Grand Prix antenna is in the back window, so that might be the reason. The cassette adapter provides a far superior solution. I'm not sure if her radio has line inputs. It certainly doesn't on the front. I guess you can also now buy an FM Direct unit that splits the antenna input and allows you to plug the SkiFi2 into the antenna. I'm really not interested in this option either, but I thought I would mention it. I'll report back after buying a new tape adapter.

My wife loves her SkiFi2. She hasn't even played with the presets or ticker yet. She also is willing to put up with the occasional tape adapter eject since XM is so far superior to over the air radio.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I found that the cassette adapter from xM is a piece of sh**. I bought a 10.00 radioshack adapter that I am very happy with. It works in my wifes toyota and my impala.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I think my adapter was a Sony, but my wife has a Phillips in her van (we both have XM). They both work fine, but neither are the original one supplied with the radios. Sounds like the wireless FM may not work for you. Some radios are set up for an external CD changer and if you don't have one, there are adapters that allow you to use the CD input of the radio for the XM. But if you are happy with the cassette adapter, it is certainly cheaper.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks again for the responses. The Bose radio in the Grand Prix has a 12 CD changer in the trunk (but no CD loader at the radio, go figure). My wife and I also both have XM. I got it last year when the new Yukon I bought came with an XM radio and I got the SkiFi2 for her for Christmas. We are both extremely satisfied. Even my 66 year old mom, who thinks gadgets or most any new technology is worthless, is considering XM.

Anyway, we are very satisfied with the tape adapter and I will probably buy a new one today. I'll report the results.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Well, I bought a $20.00 Radio Shack adapter and it did the same thing. What is weird is, for the hell of it, I tried the FM Modulator again and it works fine. I'm not sure what the problem was when I first installed the radio. I'm going to try this option for a while and see how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks