What's new

Skies of Arcadia question (1 Viewer)

Nathan A

Second Unit
After hearing about how great this game is for so long, I've decided I'd like to own it.
However, I thought I remembered reading that Sega was releasing this (or at least considering) on another platform. So, I guess this goes in line with my last question about Grandia 2.....should I pick this one up now or wait for another release. I'm not sure if it really is coming out on another system, and the DC version's price is still up there (cheapest I've seen is $40).
Please let me know if you have any more info or an opinion on it. Thanks!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There's been rumours of it on the XBox, but no firm announcements - I think at this stage, it's more wishful thinking than definitely coming... Thinking about it, I believe there was a mention in an old issue of EGM of a Skies 2, and people are presuming it'll be on the XBox.
Can someone prove me wrong & show me a definite announcement, please? This game deserves a bigger audience.
Oh, and Target /were/ selling it for $20...
------------------
Nothing In Particular
[Edited last by BrianB on August 17, 2001 at 09:13 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I doubt they would release it on XB. PS2 is going to be an RPG powerhouse for the next year because of Final Fantasy and many other PSX RPG series, so a PS2 Skies 2 would be smarter. Also, if they were making Skies for XB, they would have to announce it very soon so that they can get people to skip the PS2 version and get the XB one. The reason being that reprogramming an entire RPG for another console would be a hassle, especially if its out for two other consoles.
In short, big doubt on Skies 1 and 2 for XB.

Dan B

Screenwriter
In the new issue of Game Informer, the developers state that they are aiming for an Xbox release with the sequel. So, it's not definite but...this is also what the rumors have been saying. I would get the current version for DC though in the meantime...it's very good.
-Dan

Dan B

Screenwriter
I guess Morgan disagrees with me!
glasses.gif

-Dan

I doubt they would release it on XB. PS2 is going to be an RPG powerhouse for the next year because of Final Fantasy and many other PSX RPG series, so a PS2 Skies 2 would be smarter.
Actually it would be smarter to release on the Xbox. There is less competition on the Xbox, so it would be smarter to release it on that platform. I'd personally like to see a Skies of Arcadia sequel on the Xbox that takes advantage of the hardware's graphical prowess and hard drive.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Whoever has the sequel first, is the system I'm buying. It's definitely my favorite console RPG ever (Dragon Warrior IV is up there...)
Grandia 2 _IS_ coming to the PS2 this fall - but I wouldn't wait. With a DC at $79 NEW, pick it up and enjoy 2 of the best console RPGs ever.
IMHO, Skies is better but Grandia 2 is a darn fine game.
Vyse MUST sail again!!

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Buy it now.
I'll bet Morgan will be crushed when he is forced to get an X-box to play Skies II, or 'Skies of Arcadia X' as is the rumored working title.
Easily the best RPG on the DC. One of the best ever, period.
Very immersive 3D environments that put Zelda on N-64 to shame. Great soundtrack and story(s) too.
I want to play it again. :)

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
Skies of Arcadia was the first console RPG I ever played and I loved it!! My favorite game of 2000 and best RPG I've ever played. I just hope that Overworks took some feedback and are willing to work on the common complaints about the game which I won't rehash here. The Xbox rumors seem to suggest either a true sequel or an SOA redux. In either case, I hope they fully utilize the Xbox hardware as well. As for Grandia 2, I'm replaying it right now, but only because I didn't feel like I took advantage of the game's great battle system the first time around. Hopefully the next gen RPGs will adopt more dynamic battle and interaction systems, and go beyond the tiresome apocalyptic storylines.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have not played SoA yet. I wasn't interested in buying it, buy now that its cheaper, I might grab a copy. Besides, I need something to hold me off until Metal Gear Solid 2 (Silent Hill 2 and Devil May Cry might not hold me off enough).
Based on what I've heard, SoA is in the Top 5 best RPGs ever for any platform. Then again, I also heard that people who loved SoA who played Final Fantasy X (they know japanese, so their opinions have more value since they understand the game) have said that FFX is an overall better game than SoA. Of course, this is what I heard, and I have played neither game.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Morgan ...pick up a copy. You won't regret it. Especially cause you like games that take a long time to finish.
This one should run you around 50 hours. Much more if you go after all of the discoveries and secrets.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'll sell mine $25 shipped TO U.S.
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

Nathan A

Second Unit
Thanks everyone for your input.
I now own both Grandia 2 and SOA. Now I just need a lot of extra free time...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I could probably wait for Grandia 2 for PS2, and I could probably just pick SoA in a store or something really cheap. Only problem is that I don't have a lot of free time during the school year, and with Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, and Silent Hill 2 coming out, I won't be able to play it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks