What's new

Six Millian Dollar Man ? (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jeff*H

I think the fact that not only is THE BIONIC WOMAN showing on Hulu a sign that perhaps Universal has settled their Region 1 legal dilemma, but perhaps they've worked things out with THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN too, since there are season 1 episodes of BW on Hulu that feature Steve Austin/Lee Majors (the footage has not been cut out or anything). If they didn't have the rights to this character any more, then there is no way they could legally be displaying these episodes unless they found a loophole perhaps.
I'm wondering if this is a sign that R1 DVDs of both shows are coming soon? (Fingers crossed).

I'm not so sure about the rights issues being worked out just because BIONIC WOMAN is on Hulu.

Different rights and issues cover different mediums. Just as the show can be released on DVD overseas, there might be some clause that allows them to stream the series on the net.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I wouldn't infer too much from the internet release. Rights are often compartmentalized. I'd love for it to be a good sign, but by itself I'm unconvinced this is the dam breaking.

Now Steve's presence in TBW isn't that revealing. The Bionic Woman (the 1976-8 series) had Oscar Goldman in all but one episode, and Oscar also originated in the novel Cyborg. So did Rudy Wells. No TBW is in the same fix as Six. The shows can and will be released separately when the rights issues clear or a deal goes through.

They originally had 3 multipart episodes which went back and forth between the shows, but these were moved around for syndication to remove dependencies, so since then they've been "independent products," albeit with the same literary rights required.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As I said in the other thread, this is one of the few remaining series that I would buy on DVD without hesitation.

Mods: Can we correct the spelling in the title of this thread?

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Hear, hear, "millian" is an embarrassment.

The Bionicfans Yahoo group has some discussion of the Hulu release that boosts the news, suggesting this may be more than a one-off, but an actual testing of the waters. The rumor is that the legal issues have been resolved. This is only a rumor, as the person providing the news is not quoting their source.

The Hulu stuff is edited "for television" ie it's missing some scenes, and the colors are a bit flat compared to European releases. The edits have been compared to those on the Mexican DVD release. I nonetheless suggest that fans watch a couple, and rate and review them, as Hulu is owned by NBC/Universal, so supporting the Hulu stuff could have a positive effect on getting a Region 1 DVD release – hopefully unedited with a good transfer.

I hate to raise hopes that have been dashed so many times, but Steve and Jaime wouldn't quit, so neither can we.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Hey Joe,
That was me over at the yahoo bionicfans group posting that item. I was heavily involved in the production of Herbie J Pilato's The Bionic Book (which was published fall of 2007,) so I had, and still am, in contact with a few people involved in the shows' production (mainly Richard Anderson and Kenneth Johnson.) I was also in the video industry for twenty years, and have a few friends/contacts who remain in various positions within the studio system. Without making it sound like another "I-have-a-friend-who-once-dated-my-neighbor's-cousin-who-heard-from-so-and-so...", all I can say is that things are looking good for the shows finally getting the attention they deserve. I wish I had more concrete details, cuz no one can possibly want these shows on R1 DVD more than me!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by MattHR

Hey Joe,
That was me over at the yahoo bionicfans group posting that item. I was heavily involved in the production of Herbie J Pilato's The Bionic Book (which was published fall of 2007,) so I had, and still am, in contact with a few people involved in the shows' production (mainly Richard Anderson and Kenneth Johnson.) I was also in the video industry for twenty years, and have a few friends/contacts who remain in various positions within the studio system. Without making it sound like another "I-have-a-friend-who-once-dated-my-neighbor's-cousin-who-heard-from-so-and-so...", all I can say is that things are looking good for the shows finally getting the attention they deserve. I wish I had more concrete details, cuz no one can possibly want these shows on R1 DVD more than me!
Damn, i was reading thru that book just tonight! Good read, very informative. I refuse to buy 6M$M from another region, cause i HOPE to get it here someday. Been hoping for a few years now. Right Jeff Willis! :)

Thats for keeping my hope alive Matt!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by MattHR /forum/thread/274825/six-millian-dollar-man/60#post_3616839

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i think Batman 1966 is a lost cause, unless all the issues can be brought to table and all parties agree to the release. I know that Adam West has pushing for the release, because many baby-boomers along with my generation like the old batman series.

I also hope 6M dollar man is released, because it was a classic show. So, i just hope everything gets ironed out.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
If I was a Multi-Billionaire, I'd buy out Warner Bros, Fox, Universal and Miramax and MERGE them into one Company. With the Duo-Ownership issue now out of the way, I'd then order Batman, Both Bionic Series and any other show in a simular "Limbo" to be released on DVD!

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I would buy season 1 in a heartbeat, as I only have season 1 in an "alternate" set. I have season 2 from region 2 so would not buy that unless there are some great extras. Let's hope for some great news soon.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
If this pans out, I hope the 6M$M S1 transfers will be better than the R2 set. I passed on that set due to the transfer quality. I wonder if Uni has better masters available for R1's vs the PAL sets?

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

If this pans out, I hope the 6M$M S1 transfers will be better than the R2 set. I passed on that set due to the transfer quality. I wonder if Uni has better masters available for R1's vs the PAL sets?
You can be sure. There's no way Uni would release those transfers for R1. For whatever reason, the studios seem to utilize better transfers for their domestic product. Could be in part due to the fact that the studios license certain shows for foreign release, and thus end up using the best transfers available in those markets.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I am fortunate to own excellent copies of both programs but this is definitely another important show that needs to be released. I'm 46 and growing up in the 70's the Six Million Dollar Man was an iconic show. A lot of the special effects are lame by today's standards but we loved it than.

I wonder what the rights holders of these shows think about the aging fan base is decreasing their potential profits? Buying these shows will not be an interest to later generations who did not view them growing up.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Matt:
This definitely has got my hair standing on end. I suspect Lee Majors and I might give you a run for your money in the "nobody wants this more than me" category.

While I have the UK Season 1 &2, the Mexican Season 1 and the Italian Season 3 (as well as the UK 1 &2 and German 3 for Woman), I'd definitely reacquire them in Region 1; not just for better transfers, but to be able to throw them in any machine. Not to mention the hope against hope that some old problems get fixed. It would also be kind of hypocritical for me to make all this noise and then not buy it.

Time to shop around those labels of yours one last time. How about a re-post?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just got my copy of season 3 of SMDM in the mail from Italy and finished up BW with season 3 from Germany. To the best of my knowledge, those are the only 2 places that they have been released with the English soundtracks.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

I just got my copy of season 3 of SMDM in the mail from Italy and finished up BW with season 3 from Germany. To the best of my knowledge, those are the only 2 places that they have been released with the English soundtracks.
Your knowledge is the best. :)

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by MattHR ">[/url]

I haven't posted for a long time, so I thought I'd check in. Message to Universal: Whenever you're ready, I have the DVD covers ready to go. They're yours for the asking!

[/QUOTE]Just thought I would boost your designs Matt, since they're so much better than what Uni is shipping abroad. It seems like such a little thing, but it's really great to have season- specific imagery on the box, but they never do it. I'll even cop to liking the 'stache on Season 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks