What's new

Six Feet Under Season 5 (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
CJ...I tend to agree. I don't think there was ever a more consistently good show from first season to final season as 'Six Feet Under'. (Although 'The Wire' could potentially take over that title in my eyes when all is said and done.)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i've seen my share of series finales, but i do believe SFU wins hands down. i've never seen one so moving. this is one of those series where the theme fits and you never ever have to ask the question, "i wonder what happened to this or that character?" after finishing the series! that's awesome! it's such a rare opportunity to flesh out a character's entire life so naturally!

another one that comes close is B5's "Sleeping in Light"... but then they went and ruined some of the magic by continuing to release stuff like lost tales ;).

John Swarce

Second Unit
Bump to an old thread, but I just finished watching this with my wife last week. Best ending ever (and I agree that "Sleeping in Light" from B5 was great).

I do have a question, though. A few posts back there was a link to an interview with Peter Krause about his character on 6FU (I think Patrick Sun posted it). The article has since been archived, so I couldn't read the whole thing. Can someone who has read the full article recap it? I get the impression that Krause was not too happy with his character's direction in Season 5.

--John

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
In case there is anyone here who hasn't picked up the season sets yet, next week, Best Buy is putting all 5 seasons on sale for $16.99 each.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from 3 years ago,
oops.
:D

just finally saw the last ep.
i sat on the egde of my bed for 5 minutes because i had to let it sink in.

this finale really puts perspective on how much of a shame it is for the way the Sopranos ended.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Time for another resurrection.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I got caught up with this amazing show this summer and I just finished it. Never in my years of watching television have I witnessed a finale so profoundly moving and fitting that it rendered me speechless and for the most part even thoughtless, plus I was still reeling from Nate's death so it all seemed to combine and overwhelm me with emotion. :frowning:

I had to sit and gather myself before I was able to think about what I had just seen, utterly magnificent conclusion to a show that dealt with death seriously and with reverance...just like Nate and David would have wanted.

I think I was most affected by Ruth's death (because she reminded me of my mother when she passed away of cancer) and Clair's, to see all of her youth gone and her eyes dead with cataracs moved me in a way I can't fully articulate at the moment.

Truly truly phenominal, it actually feels at the moment that I lost some friends. :frowning:

mylan

Screenwriter

John, sorry to self quote but I would give anything to be able to go back and watch it again for the first time. I am glad you had the same thoughts as we did but damn, I am jealous we didn't just finish watching as you have! I have been trying to get a friend to watch this series from the beginning to to catch this awesome finale but he cannot get past the "gay" characters to even consider it, such a waste, oh well, I did steer him toward Dexter....

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
There are a lot of shows, Mylan, that I wish I could go back and watch for the first time, that why I sometimes wish I had my own personal Men In Black neuralizer lol, watch a great show and then...ZAP! Watch it all over again for the first time. :D

I also have to say that I admire the show for not dragging itself out and wearing out it's welcome :cough:The Simpsons:cough:, while I would have gladly welcomed a 6th season 5 is a nice number to end it with. :emoji_thumbsup:

I hope that maybe one day your friend will come around and try the show.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Hi John,

I have no idea if this is the same interview Patrick referenced -- it's very short -- but here Krause hints briefly at the reasons why the last season would have been difficult for him, and why he wouldn't want to revisit that sort of show / character again anytime soon.

Krause Resurfaces After 'Six Feet Under' - washingtonpost.com

For Krause, it sounds like being Nate in the fifth season was as hard on him as it was on us. He says it was "a heavy cross to bear" being a "complicated anti-hero". (Indeed)

I loved the finale too, although a friend of mine remarked that it played out like a particularly morbid car commercial, minus the small text at the bottom of the screen. :laugh: Most of my friends won't go near the show because they are turned off by the morbid subject matter, but I tell them to be courageous, it's painful but worth it! The show can be quite cathartic.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great article, Steve, living with that character couldn't have been easy, I would have been relieved too to be rid of it I think, especially if it began to carry over into my real life like it did for Peter.

As for the subject matter of the show as a whole I wasn't very disturbed by it for two reasons, one I had some friends who were in the funeral business (they've stated that all the technical stuff that has to do with running the home and dealing with the bodies was all very accurate, right down to the names and styles of the caskets) and two i've always been blessed with an abnormal level of enlightenment about the subject of death.

I think that one of the points of the show was to examine the subject in a realistic manner, not in a documentary style to where we can't relate but as it is and to reaquaint society with it because it seems that more and more these days most people want to ignor it or deny it and to this end the show did a fantastic job.

We get old and we die, it's part of life and I think it's healthy to acknowledge it at least once in awhile, especially when it's depicted in an amazing form of entertainment like it was on the show. Now, having said that, I was disturbed by some of the manners of death throughout the course of the series, the accidental one's were fine (and at times even comical to a degree) but I had a hard time with the murders. :frowning:

The two that still stick out in my mind were the one's where the chinese woman was running the conveniance store and was shot in the head by a robber and the one where the guy was walking through the office gunning people down. They were so senseless and violent that they disturbed me for days afterwards but again part of the reason for the show is to show us that death comes in many forms and when your number is up it's up.

Whew, morbid stuff, didn't expect to get this deep when I began this post lol. I think i'm going to go watch something funny now like Groundhog Day. ;)

Lastly, I would love to get that great DVD box set of the complete series that they have out, the one with the little patch of "grass" on top lol, now that's clever DVD packaging. :cool:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
the one that disturbed me was the home robbery one where the homeowner didn't do anything to aggravate anyone, but the robber just simply decided to kill him for no reason =P. it can happen anywherez, anytime and that's scary.

PS speaking of ads, have u seen the 'blood drinks' that alan ball is doing for his new HBO series? anyways, i like what alan ball does, he's very very creative from american beauty to six feet under =).

John Swarce

Second Unit
Thanks, Steve, for the link. It's not the same article that Patrick Sun linked to (that was on thestar.com), but I got the gist of what Krause went through in the last season of SFU

My "favorite death" was the one where a husband (John Billingsley in a short, but memorable role) is droning on and on about his job, and his wife, who has had enough of him, kills him with a frying pan!

--John

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Oh god yes, I forgot about that one. :frowning:

I had this little thing that I did when watching the show that sort of defused the seriousness of the accidental death sequences, I used Bill Murray's line from Scrooged, like for instance the episode where the guy leans out of his SUV to retrieve the newspaper, falls out just before the front wheel runs over him I would say "Oh watch out. Thanks boys, get the nurse." lol.

I like the "misdirection deaths", where it's setting you up to think that one person is about to buy the farm but it turns out to be someone else.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Not sure if this was something that evolved out of a show like "Six Feet Under," but I find the idea has really gotten tired with overuse on shows like "CSI" and "House."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I don't know, I can't speak for CSI because I don't watch them but I always enjoy the medical crisis at the opening of each House episode.

I always wonder to myself "what strange illness did the writers come up with this week to give this poor bastard?" lol.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I've sampled a few CSI episodes over the years and for this viewer, it holds nothing on House. Given the choice of watching new and inventive ways for people to die versus new and inventive ways to save people, this optimist will choose saving every time.

In fairness to CSI, it isn't about the killing; it's about the search to determine how people were killed -- and who killed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks