What's new

Six Feet Under - 3/23/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Nate was bouncing back and forth in dream land with his talk with his dad.

David sobbing in Keith's arms seemed like a real genuine moment.

Ruth had to have something slipped in her drink by Bettina. :D Ruth was flying high as a kite.

What was with that scary Oedipus-allusion for Nate seeing Ruth's face in his dreams while hearing his daughter's babbling. That was a big disturbing, but funny. But there's something to that scene in how he sees his new family unit.

Nate is fighting his nature (and whether he is his dad in terms of circumstances and predicament).

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I found this episode to be extremely boring this week. Beyond Nate with his fears of marrying his mother, and Rico learning about homosexuals, it just moved way to slow for me. I guess they are trying to take the Claire art thing somewhere, but in the process it is boring and annoying.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
When this season of 6FU started to get bashed I chalked it up to the rampant "its cool to hate HBO shows" attitude that has come up since the less than stellar Sopranos season.

But man, this season is really not doing much, and the stuff it is doing isn't very interesting.

It seems like Rico is always the bad guy against Nate and David - and by the end of the episode something happens to Rico that shows the viewer (through action or Rico's facial expression) that Rico has learned something - only to be reset next week to go through the same motions again.

The David stuff this week was also pretty weak, the only interesting part was his 30 seconds of crying at the end.

The Ruth story was kind of interesting, but that stuff with her calling her friend last week and how she acts around her friend is still looming and covering all of Ruths story in a weirdness cloud.

And the Claire "Russle's gay" angle was also lame. The camera's been on his intense staring at Claire since the first episode this season. I think everyone knew the kid wasn't gay. The way he's constantly staring at Claire is more than a little weird, too. Looks like psycho in the making to me. Also a bore-fest this week.

The whole Nate "becoming like your dad" angle is the only one that was really worthwhile this week. But I'm getting stuck on the fact that we completely missed some of the most significant aspects of that story - we skip Nates recovery / decision to marry Lisa and skip right to the aftermath. Seems lame and lazy to me - if you wanna take established characters somewhere for a specific result, you need to take us there - not just skip ahead and pull the result out of thin air.

Also the constant "is this a dream" thoughts that constantly cross my mind doesn't help things. And the 1 min close up on...male anatomy wasn't cool for me - lasted way to long. (I think if you added up all the seconds of T and A that's been on Sopranos the first 3 years it wouldn't add up to that long). In fact, the whole gay thing was layed on a bit too thick for me this week, and I've never had a problem with it before.

All in all, probably one of the worst this season for me. Nothing seemed to work that well - everything seems covered in ambiguity so far this season. But, we are only in by 3 episodes.

And the first person to claim the episode was providing a "setup" or "foundation" is getting punched :D
JQ

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i didn't mind this episode at all.

nate is definitely worried about becoming his dad. when he screamed "i'm not you!" pretty much solidifies that storyline. now he's smoking too? also the scene where he sees ruth and lisa both wearing the apron was great!

i thought the banter between david and rico was great. you could tell david was ready to tell rico everything he wanted to know. rico's "no, i'm good" line was hilarious.

i dunno what's gonna happen with claire and russel. it's obvious he's got a crush on her, but i seriously doubt claire feels the same way - he's definitely not her type. maybe he'll become psycho dude.

it was nice not to see the david vs. keith thing again - that part is getting old. seeing keith act genuinely concerned at the end was nice.

but i thought the best part was when claire asked her mom to go to the museum. you could totally tell that made ruth's day - she even skipped moving the table back.

some nice touches in this episode.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I thought it was a great episode (after a fairly weak one last week). I loved the scene where Nate walked into the kitchen and Lisa and his mom both turned around at the same exact time and said, "Hi dear," and even looked very similar in appearance.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Yea it was a good episode.

I thought it was a great episode (after a fairly weak one last week). I loved the scene where Nate walked into the kitchen and Lisa and his mom both turned around at the same exact time and said, "Hi dear," and even looked very similar in appearance.
Yea that was a great part.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just the war, but I haven't really enjoyed any TV lately (except the Faith episodes of Angel).

I re-watched the first three episodes this weekend, and I agree that so far this season has been a little too lackluster, though the deaths at the beginning of the show are as good as always. I like Lilly Taylor as a person and as an actress, but I am really not sure I like her character. She's not very endearing and I don't think she is much an improvement over Brenda. I wonder how long before Nate winds up leaving.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
i don't know...i've loved the last two episodes, last season was a little off from the first but i think it's coming back around? What are you looking for in this show? What's boring you all?

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
What's boring you all?
I think I outlined it above, but I'll break it down a little more:

David - Seems like the same dance over and over - fight, makeup, fight, therapy, makeup, fight, vacation, fight. On top of that his recent acquisition of the "whiny" role in the relationship is getting grating, and his uncharacteristic uncaring about the funeral home is out of character. (Last week's vacation was a breath of fresh air, though)

Claire - Finds a loser and falls for him. Again, same song and dance as previous years. And the Russle "is he gay?" was predictable from the first minute we met the guy. The only promise this has is for Russle to flip out - I don't know why, but I think that guy could pull off a pretty good psycho - he's just got that look - it would be pretty funny to just see him blow up in someones face.

Rico - Again, same song and dance - Rico is still the hardass or the close minded one - the episode progresses and Rico learns something or has an epiphany and we see that he thinks he may have been wrong for being the hardass. Reset cycle, insert new story, and repeat for next week.

Ruth - Probably the one with the most potential - this week was good for her character, but the different angles / insinuations they're throwing into her new "friendship" are just weird.

Nate - The whole Dallas "Dreamland" possibility setup in Episode 1 is choking me up on Nate. Even if we're not in Dreamland, skipping Nates recovery, decision to Marry Lisa, and Maya's birth and getting right to the consequences is just lazy and lame. All that happened for Nate yet nothing significant has changed in the other characters? Bullshit. Its pure laziness because they didn't know where to take the character, so he was inserted into a spot that would provide new / unique problems for his character - (most notably becoming his father) - so we would ignore the time we missed and the fact that everyone else seems to have been frozen while Nate recovered/married/had his first child. Lazy, manipulative writing.

JQ

DeeF

Screenwriter
I think the way to use David is in his relationship with Nate. We've hardly seen David at work, lately. But isn't he really running the business? Now, he has two partners, and one of them (Nate) doesn't really belong there, and the other one (Rico) doesn't know from business management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks