What's new

Siskel and Ebert: Resurrected (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Could you explain this or provide a link to the information you read? Thanks.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Ebert: No Thumbs, Up or Down, on TV Show

LOS ANGELES -- Roger Ebert has turned thumbs down on thumb reviews for "At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper."

Ebert, who is negotiating a new contract with the syndicated TV show's distributor, Disney-ABC Domestic Television, is a copyright holder on the signature "thumbs up-thumbs down" judgment that's part of each film review.

He has "exercised his right to withhold use of the `thumbs' until a new contract is signed," the Walt Disney Co.-owned company said in a statement released Friday to The Associated Press.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082402077.html

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Great announcement. These will be fun to see again.

Hoping for more uncensered stuff. Those guys are funny! I know how they feel. Ive been working with the same schmucks for 12 years now and have kept my tongue in place. If I could just unload once in a while like they do....

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What kind of world do we live in when someone can copyright giving a thumbs up?

sigh.

I hardly ever agreed with Ebert anyway. I usually don't agree with most "critics". They always seem to like the artsy stuff, and mostly hate horrors and comedies.

I always thought that critics should only review the types of movies they actually like. That way, I could find one that likes the type of movies I do and would trust the review more.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Except Ebert (and most critics I've dealt with) love horror and comedy and sci-fi and adventure. They've just seen enough that they have little patience with mediocrity.

As I like to say: "I don't ask that an action film be Citizen Kane. But I do expect it to at least try to be Die Hard."

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I've found that listening to critics is often a good way to avoid wasting my time & money on....crap.
They're not flawless.
My favorite example of that is Blade Runner.
I remember very clearly that it was panned by the great majority of critics.
I just kept going back to see it again and again and again.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Thanks for posting that. I do hope they get something worked out soon. I'm not sure I'm happy they are sticking with Wilonsky for the first couple of months.

As far reviews in general, I sure don't always agree with Ebert, but I have always enjoyed hearing and reading his reviews and over the years I have been able to pretty accurately gauge whether I'm going to want to see something based on his review (either good or bad).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Here is a portion of Roger Ebert's response from the link in the previous posting. Maybe it's because I am a fellow midwesterner, but I find myself agreeing with Roger's reviews a lot.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

He actually named it the best film of 1998.

On a related note, Siskel named Babe 2: Pig In The City as the best film of 1998. So he didn't exactly go artsy-fartsy either.

Incidentally, those were my two favorite films of 1998 (which is why I remember this). :)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Wow, 1998 must have been a really bad year for films. LOL

Dark City was ok, but Babe 2?, that is a pretty wierd choice!

(now I got to go see what other movies came out in 1998)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think Saving Private Ryan and Shakespeare In Love were Oscar contenders that year.

I liked them, but not as much as the other two.

Babe 2 seems to be a real love-it-or-hate-it film (partly because it's so different from the original). Personally, I was shocked by how much I liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks