What's new

Sirius S50 Sat Radio recording/MP3 player (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in this unit. I have read that the original specs have been modified to comply with RIAA threats/sanctions against recording sat radio. Specifically, I heard it no longer allows you to time recordings of music (you can only record one song at a time and have to press record for each one) and only allows you to schedule 2 hours at a time of "shows" for a maximum of 20 scheduled recordings. I'm not interested in a true "portable", I just want to timeshift Howard and this seemed like the answer. Anyone have any details or experience with this player?

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Like you, I have researched this player as well. The fact that you cannot record scheduled music and save it as an mp3 is meaningless to me, since any music I would want to store via mp3 would come from my own collection anyway. I would like it for the idea that it can record Howard and I can listen to it whenever.

As for being "truly portable", from what I have read, Sirius will be coming out with an add-on device that will let it receive a live signal without being docked.

My thinking is that it's a lot of money to drop on just a receiver(the home docking kit alone retails for $100) for one. I feel that a new and improved version will be along in a year so, with many of the kinks worked out; and possibly not even need an add-on device to make it truly portable. I personally think it's best to hold off on this model and get something cheaper like the Sportster or the Starmate. Both have great rebates that make them very reasonably priced. I think I can get use out of the Sportster for now and possibly upgrade a year or so down the line. There are also rumors that the iPod might eventually come out with a model that can receive satellite in the future, as talks with Apple and Sirius have been going on for a while now.

I know I would just feel crumby if I dropped $400 on this and then a better model came out a year from now.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. I currently have an XACT player I paid $0 for (due to a mismarked pre-rebate price at BJ's), so I'm in no hurry. From what I hear, this is a quality piece, but like you, I'll be waiting till the price comes down.

Brent T

Second Unit
I think this one is going to be a very hot item. However much like the IPOD I think you will see some much devices come out in the next three quarters.

I am going to hold till next fall till the come out with something that is truely portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks