1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sirius adding commercials

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Bryan_O, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Bryan_O

Bryan_O Well-Known Member

According to the USA Today Sirius is adding commercials to the talk & sports channels, which is not a big deal in itself, because they are simply replacing their PSAs w/ commercials. I found Mel's quote about Stern's advertisers interesting. I really think his satalite show will be just as un-listenable as his current one.

"Karmazin also noted that Sirius, which first made a name for itself by offering commercial-free music channels, is preparing to add commercials to its talk and sports channels and emphasized that advertising will become an important revenue stream in the coming year. The company is currently in the process of increasing its ad sales staff and Karmazin said he expects "a good number" of Stern's advertisers will follow him to Sirius."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...-siri-xm_x.htm

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Not a bad thing.

XM has already been featuring commercials
    on their talk channels.

The added revenue will greatly help Sirius.

Sirius is already expected to raise their
    subscription rate at some point.

3. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Well-Known Member

I read not too long ago that XM and Sirius were likely to merger. Don't remember where though..hmmmm

At anyrate I would love to sample either. Right now because of our ridiculous broadcast laws they arent authorized for sale in Canada. You'd have to drive across the boarder and perform some dubious deeds. Still, if they are ever cleared for here I'd be willing to spend $10 a month. [​IMG]

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Realistically, it's about time. Most of these programs (like anything on SIRIUS Right/Left, Patriot/Air America) are designed with commercial breaks for resets.. right now, it's filler. Even without "commercials" it's just air promoting SIRIUS. I have no problem with them selling those spots, it'd be better then hearing the same spots over and over again promoting Jim Breuer [​IMG]

5. Bryan_O

Bryan_O Well-Known Member

I agree there HTF Ron, it's not a big deal to have commercials on the talk channels. But I do think it will be a big deal to all of the Stern followers who make the move over to Sirius - invest in new equipment, purchase the subscription, then have to listen to the same 1800-dial-a-mattress commercials, plus probably some on-air reads.

6. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Well-Known Member

I agree withthe commercials on talk/news radio. But if it moves to the music channels then why bother having satellite when FM and its commercials is free.

7. Diallo B

Diallo B Well-Known Member

i have had sirius pretty much since its inception and i always thought that the talk/news/sports channels had commericals. i have listened to them on occasion to see who was peddling what on sirius.

i am confused........???

8. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Well-Known Member

I sure hope not. I'm sure competition between the two is one of reasons XM Radio dropped their commercials a year ago.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Commercials will not return to XM
    music channels.

That was a hard lesson learned by
    that service.

10. Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts Well-Known Member

It better not ever return or else I will drop my XM as quick as it takes to dial their number and tell them why I'm gone. This is NOT public radio, I'm paying for it so I better darn well get commercial free music or else why bother?

11. Brian L

Brian L Well-Known Member

I note that XM has added commercials to XM Kids, which to me is ludicrous.

Not sure when that began, and it is possible that they have been doing it for a while, and I just have been lucky to have avoided it, but it seems nuts to me.

BGL

12. TedT

TedT Well-Known Member

Makes sense, as long as there's not TOO many ads (like there are now on commerical radio).

Think about it. If you're a DJ, you're going to need a break now and then to switch gears, get a different guest on, etc...