What's new

Sinus Surgery-Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Was wondering if anyone has had any sinus surgery for a deviated septum.

Did you guys have bad allergies/breathing problems?

How was the surgery?
How long has it been and have there been any side effects or problems?

THanks!

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I had it. The worst thing about it is that they pack your schnozz with cotton. You will not believe the amount of bloody cotton they pull out several hours after the surgery. Anyway, this was over ten years ago and everything was fine. Good luck!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I, too, have had the surgery.
In 1982, I was diagnosed with SEVERE allergy problems resulting in SEVERE rhinitis and took shots for several years. The shots helped a little but I still had severe seasonal problems. Surgery was suggested to fix a deviated septum (as a form of treatment) but due to the FEAR of NOSE PACKING, I would not do it.
Then in 1988, after a move and change to a different ENT, again the surgery was suggested. This particular ENT was using a new type of surgery method that required NO PACKING! The surgery was done as out patient. Nose packing is typically done to control bleeding but this ENT CAUTERIZED the bleeders during surgery and simply used "splints" which are placed up the nostrils and are unseen (removed after 2 weeks). Although my nose was VERY SORE for a few days, I went back to work in 3 days (no lifting or bending over though).
The surgery was so successful, I was able to stop my shots since the rhinitis was the most troublesome problem. I am still allergic to the same things but they don't affect my nose! Several persons in my family have the same allergy problems and I readily recommended this surgery to them.

17 years ago I was "cured" of this HUGE problem. Every time I see someone with a runny, stuffy nose, I should send my ENT some money!!!!!

So.... find a ENT who performs the surgery called "septoplasty/cautery"......NO PACKING. I highly recommend the surgery....it is WELL WORTH IT.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I had sinus surgery twice within about 5 years. It certainly is not the most pleasant thing in the world, but if done right, it can certainly help an awful lot with chronic sinus problems.

That said, here are my side effects several years later:

My "deviated septum" never healed correctly, and I have a permananent hole in my septum.

I do have quite a bit of drainage sometimes down the back of my throat, but that is probably because of the "windows" they cut that allow stuff to drain from my sinuses.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Thanks fellas.
Sorry about the problem Andrew. Are you better off now though than before?

Im gonna have to look for that type of no packing surgery. Sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.