What's new

Single layer DVD burners? (1 Viewer)

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for an external DVD burner that's single layer ONLY, but I'm having a tought time finding one. Any online stores sell them? Know where I can get one? Can't seem to have any luck here.
Thanks,

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I got one at Fry's several weeks ago. Granted, it was an ATA interface, but if your board has the connection, it works just as well.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Dual layer burners can burn single layer discs no problem. They are dirt cheap too ($40-60 US).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Andrew did specifically ask about external drives, which are certainly not to be had for $40 to $60 and don't use ATA interfaces (unless they're internal drives installed in some kind of after-market external enclosure.)

CompUSA has this drive (USB 2.0 and Firewire) and this one (USB 2.0 only, but also cheaper.) Both seem to be single layer.

If you want SL to save money, you won't. CompUSA has two DL external drives (this one and this one) which are dual-layer externals and they cost $99.99 and $121.99 repsectively, the same price as the external single-layer drives.

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Since dual layer is the new thing, it may be hard to find a new one without it.

Are you looking for single layer because of the price? If so, you may be best going to a B&M because they'll have 'last years' models at cheap prices. Trying to find older models (which may be the only way to get single layer) online, may not be possible.

Or as others have said, there are plenty of 'cheap' dual layer burners online (that all do single layer as well). Besides, in a few years (or sooner), you'll definitely be glad you have dual layer capability.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies and links fellas. I have a dual in my lap top, but some sofware I'm trying to use only supports single layer. I really don't know much about it other than that. I'm not too computer savy.
Also, you'd think if it was a dual layer burner, it'd be advertised as such, right? I found some that says they support dual layer DVDs, but that doesn't neccessarily mean it's a dual layer DVD burner...correct?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

All DVD players and burners, internal, external, computer-based or stand-alone, "support" dual layer discs insofar as they will play them. So there is no reason to advertise the fact. If you're looking at a burner and it says "supports DL", then you can be sure it burns dual-layered discs.

Regards,

Joe

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I missed the external part. Well, enclosures are dirt cheap too - cheapest I've seen is $20 for a USB2 enclosure. The cheapest ones are usually of poor quality and have poor ventilation - or are extremely loud. However, if you never leave the drive on constantly it will likely work good enough.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the DVD software is called DVD X Copy PLatinum and it DOES NOT support dual layer DVD drives.
Now, I'm a computer moron, I'll admit. Is there a place on my computer that I can make it single layer? Or a place to tell on my computer if it's just dual layer?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

There is no such thing as a drive that is "only" dual-layer. (I assume that's what you mean by "it's just dual layer") Any dual-layer capable drive can also burn single layer discs. Similarly any DVD player can play CDs, there is no such thing as a drive that only plays DVDs.

Consider an analogy: If you had a DVD burner and software the "only supported" CD burners you almost certainly still burn CDs using that software and your drive because DVD burners can also burn CDs and are backwards compatible with most burning software. That software wouldn't allow you to burn CD content to a blank DVD, however, only to blank CD media.

Which release of DVD X-Copy Platinum do you have? The version released by the now-defunct 321 Studio or the one released by X-Software? X-Copy's site has a forum for help with technical issues involving both its DVD X-Copy and the original 321 version. I suspect you'll get more help from the folks there, as they are presumably users of the program and familiar with its quirks. You may even be able to get a free (or cheap) upgrade from whichever version you have that will "support" dual-layered drives.

Again, it seems your whole quest for a pricey external, single-layer DVD burner is an incredibly expensive and unecessarily complicated way of dealing with what seems to be a software issue, or possibly "pilot error" in how you're attempting to use it.

Detailed model and version information regarding your current DVD burner and the software, plus a step by setp description of what happens when you try to burn a DVD (including the exact text of any and all error messages) will help us help you deal with this issue.

Regards,

Joe

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I think you are confusing Dual Layer Drive Burning with Dual Layer Drive Supporting.

According to the DVDX Chief moderator:Which means that you can't burn a dual layer disc, but (according to everyone at the DVDX forums), the software will support Dual Layer DRIVES.

Meaning, the software SHOULD be able to burn single layers discs on a dual layer drive. It just won't burn Dual Layer discs on a dual layer drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks