What's new

Singin in the Rain - new SE (Fall) (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The old "MGM" was forced by its city government (Culver City) to get all its nitrate off of the studio premises within a certain time. The studio preserved all of its existing nitrate material (whether it be feature, short, cartoon, or trailer)onto safety film, and then shipped its nitrate originals to George Eastman House in Rochester, N.Y. for "safe keeping".

Imagine my horror (and the horror of everyone else concerned with film preservation) when I read in the New York Times of a massive vault fire at Eastman House, sometime in the late 1970s. The original negatives of some films were lost forever (although the safety copies existed) from that fire including virtually the entire orig. 3 strip Nitrate of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. SINGIN', incidentally, was one of MGM's last to be filmed on nitrate stock. By the time the film was released the prints were all safety stock.

Recent prints and masters have been ultimately generated from the safety separations that MGM made before the nitrate was shipped away.

Turner and WB made an excellent documentary about the need for film preservation and restoration which I saw on the Turner channel a few years back. The show was called "A Race to Save A Hundred Years". It specifically mentioned the film destroyed at the Eastman House disaster, including SINGIN'. That having been said, it is likely that Warners will use the same state-of-the-art quality standards they have applied recently to other films when tackling a new SINGIN' DVD Special Edition. An exciting prospect.

In re-reading Bob Thomas' article posted above, it indicates there are TWO documentaries coming from Warners, not one. There will be a new docuementary on SINGIN' (I assume a 'making of'), and separately a DVD release of that wonderful docu on Gene Kelly which aired on PBS earlier this month. I look forward to purchasing BOTH releases.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info guys. At least separation negs were made as I doubt even if the nitrate negs excisted they would needed to have been used.

On August 17 & 18, 1990 the Hollywood Bowl showed "Singin' In The Rain" in conjunction with the American Cinematheque and Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Here is the line up of the entertainment:.

Doc Severnisen And The Tonight Show Band

Gaylord Carter at the Organ

A dog act

Cartoon Shorts including one with Bugs Bunny conducting at the Hollywood Bowl

Newsreels

Adolph Green and Betty Comden arrived on stage prior to the film to introduce Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds. Donald O'Connor didin't make it because he was recovering from heart surgery. Gene walked out with a black umbrella (natch) and introduced some members of the audience including Stanley Donen.

I saw the Friday (17th) night show. It was an incredible evening. The place was packed. At the moment the title number began there was a hush and people kinda leaned forward in their seats.

I still have the poster in my collection.

Joel C

Screenwriter
D'oh. I JUST bought this, after wanting it forever. I was going between it and Philidelphia Story. Guess I picked wrong! :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Warner is also releasing an SE of An American in Paris. Although I like Singin' in the Rain better, I will be picking up both.
Looks like Warner has a lot of wonderful SE reissues coming this year (Amadeus, One Flew ... and Goodfellas).

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
It would be cool to see Debbie Renyolds get involved too, since she's still around, and the movie made her a star. Actually, I think we have Donald O'Conner too! Can we get an interview retrospective with these two, please?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Both Reynolds and O'Connor appeared together (via satellite:rolleyes:) on the Today Show last week to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Singing In The Rain. Their comments on the film would be both very interesting and useful.

The DVD of Singing in the Rain does show one terrible tear in the film. I'm hoping someone pays money to restore this valuable piece of film history.
If you're referring to that jump cut in the Kelly-Charysse number, it supposedly is intentionally cut footage of a certain bit of Cyd we weren't meant to see.

Urban legend perhaps, but that's what I've heard.

MK

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Nice that Warner's is releasing "Singing in the Rain" & "An American in Paris" but didn't MGM make a whole bunch of other musicals too?

Anne M

Agent
Have the specs for this release been announced yet? I know The Digital Bits has the cover art up in their gallery, but I haven't seen the specs anywhere. Anyone know anything about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks