What's new

Since WB went BluRay Exclusive, Any SD Fans Going Over? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why would that be a joke? I actually prefer HD DVD to the Blu-ray name. If there wasn't a format war, I always felt the HD DVD moniker would've made a lot of sense to me for the next generation of home video.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Choosing one format over the other for its name, logo and "case color"? It sounds like a joke to me (no matter to which format it´s aimed).

I mean - what happened to "film titles", "extras", "quality" etc. Things that really matter?

This format war has some craaaazy s**t! ;)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

This is six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. The better case color is determined by each title's given artwork. In other words, a red HD-DVD cover will look better with, say, 28 WEEKS LATER but a blue cover will look better with THE ABYSS (and don't even get me started on how an HD-DVD case for THE BLUES BROTHERS would be a crime against nature!). Hell, even within series, the preference changes. A red case looks better for the warmer cover art of HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE, but the blue case looks far better for the colder art of HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RE: the Blu-ray (Disc) name, I suspect many (if not quite all) will just refer to it as BD (or possibly BrD) in time. Afterall, DVD is just an acronymn too.

While I agree that HD-DVD (rather than the official HD DVD) makes good logical sense, in practice, I think it's too cumbersome since it's a 5-letter/syllable acronymn. Heck, I don't even like to type it and just resort to calling it HDD (like many others do).

But yeah, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter much though some will argue that it might provide better marketing spin and such, which just might be needed if BD is going to overtake DVD in the mainstream to any great degree.

_Man_

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I actually boought a Toshiba HD-D3 at Costco on Tuesday after seeing them down to $129 and knowing full well the status of the HD-DVD / Blu-Ray format war. I have had a Hitachi 46F500 HDTV (1080i/720p) for almost 4 years now and I have never had an HD source connected to the thing. At that price I figured it was worth trying out.

I got the unit connected using an HDMI to DVI cable and fired it up. After the initial set up I popped in both the 300 and Bourne Identity discs that came with the player to see what they looked like. I must say I am a bit underwhelmed by the picture quality that I am getting. I really don't see much of an improvement over my Panasonic DVD-F87K DVD player (connected via compentent video). To be fair I do sit a good 12-15 feet from my 46 inch screen so that may have a lot to do with what I am seeing. I'm going to play around with it a bit more and see if there is really much of an improvement over DVD on my TV screen.

I'm now debating whether or not to return the player and wait on the sidelines for a bit longer.

Adam_Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Duncan

That's a great box set. Doctor Who And The Silurians looks great. I can't wait to see the other recoloured stories on DVD. Terror Of The Autons should look amazing. A shame we'll have to wait ages for The Ambassadors Of Death though. :frowning:

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

Sounds like it's your TV or your connection. If you cant discern the difference between those HD-DVDs and regular DVD I would wonder if you would see the difference between regular standard-def TV and HDTV also.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

It's a sales ratio that sounds mightily impressive -- until you realize the discrepency in copies sold is in the thousands, not tens of thousands or millions. Sales on both formats are so slow that they continue to not be a trickle in comparison to regular DVD.

And sorry, but you haven't been paying attention if you think the HD-DVD giveaways have been comparable to the BD "BOGOs". The Blu Ray promos have been running nonstop since October and were run on-and-off even before that -- HD-DVD didnt even run a sale until Christmas time, months after Sony started their endless promotions. You have to be incredibly naive if you don't think all those sales ratios weren't goosed up by those promos to some major degree.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Jim Taylors site has a rough extrapolated minimum of 15 million s-DVD players sold in 2007 (sept,oct nov numbers absent) with an installed base of 132 million dvd players.
Would be nice to see a graph of sales totals each month knowing which one is rising and sinking as per total market share-DVD vs HD player sales.

I know the BR vs HD contest is over...question is-are the masses interested-or is HD the new Laserdisc.... ? in which case the battle has just started.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Are you talking about retailer promos, or just "buy a player, get some free movies with it"-type sales? Because HD-DVD had a shitload of the former well before December '07. If you refer to the latter, then no, I don't share your opinion that it is the most attributable reason, or even a very meaningful one, for the 2.5:1 sales differential. Incredibly naive I must be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks