What's new

Since WB went BluRay Exclusive, Any SD Fans Going Over? (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I had the same problem and eventually I didn´t buy any of the SD DVDs. I´ll wait for the HD-releases. I don´t really mind the wait, since quite frankly too much to see already.. But generally no "new"/mainstream SD DVDs anymore for me, only classics and horror/Euro cult.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I got "off the fence", but unfortunately it was a week TOO early. :frowning: I purchased both a HD & Blu-Ray player a week before WB's announcement. Fortunately my HD "exposure" is limited. I purchased only 5 discs & that was on a "Buy 3 get two free" deal. And I only paid $133 for the HD player as it was an open box item & I also used a X-mas gift card for payment. Obviously there will be no further HD purchases.

Blu-Ray was going to be my main Hi Def format because of my plans to purchase a Blu-Ray burner for my new computer. Hi Def DVDs are only going to be a niche format for me anyways. I certainaly have NO PLANS to junk my nearly 1500 SD DVDs. I've NEVER understood persons who when a "new" format appeared, would completely junk the older format, then complain later when all of the titles from the old format were not available. I still have "off-the-air" Beta format cassettes (Unfortunately my Beta VCR no longer works) & VHS cassettes & Laser Discs due to the titles &/or content not being available on DVD. I'll buy certain select titles &/or content on Blu-Ray but that is all. NO 100% complete replacement.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"I've NEVER understood persons who when a "new" format appeared, would completely junk the older format, then complain later when all of the titles from the old format were not available."

What most people say is that once they got used to the higher quality format, they couldn't go back to watching lesser quality stuff. Maybe you could report back in a couple of months and let us know how it's going for you.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I read a few articles over the holidays that had me really spooked.
But then I can (and do) easily envision the worst happening. Sometimes it comes to pass, sometimes not (Y2K).
Current issues are a little more substantial than that, and not an "well it could happen' as you can already see the storm clouds in the distance.

It is about the worst time possible to be launching a premium format.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

To quote Dana Carvey quoting George WH Bush "not gonna happen"

HDM is gonna do fine.

Besides Sony isn't the only Co producing BD players.

If you feel so strongly that it will fail care to put some money on it?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I've had basically unlimited access to my friend's HD DVD and Blu Ray players for about a year and I've had HD cable for years (which granted isn't close to HD DVD or BR quality) and I have no problem still watching SD. While SD isn't as pretty as HD, I'm interested in seeing the movie and if SD is the best way to do it, that's fine by me.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Despite what the fans say, HD is not a huge leap in quality from SD DVD. Apart from that, it has arrived far too soon after the introduction of DVD, which most people still see as a new format and are perfectly satisfied with. Indeed, just about everyone I know has never even heard of Blue-ray. I am certainly not replacing any of my 1000 DVD collection and see no reson to buy into Blu-ray anytime soon, if ever. I think it will be a niche product for very many years.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
So when your current DVD player dies, you plan to replace it with another DVD player? Why not get a BR player and expand your horizons?

edited once for spelling

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the wait for the $99 player boat, until till then, Dish HD and SD DVD makes my family happy.
The only DVD we buy anymore are kids movies, everything else is Netflix, I will do the same with Blue Ray.
Any chance Blue Ray will change their name to HDDVD, I hate the name blue ray.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'm the exact opposite- I think that "HD-DVD" is a bit clunky-sounding, and "blu-ray" rolls of the tongue a lot easier. However, "HD-DVD" is a more self-explanatory title for the average consumer.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The crazy conspiracy theory that I'm holding in my back pocket would be that Sony and Toshiba will eventually come to some sort of terms where Blu-ray would be the final format and they would eventually phase in the name HD DVD to replace the Blu-ray name.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

What do you consider reasonable price? :D

If the BDA (and the entire industry) is serious about making Blu-ray anywhere near as successful as DVD has been, I'm guessing they'll need to have reasonably affordable recordable decks available w/in 5 or so years from now -- FWIW, I'd consider $300 to be reasonably affordable. But that's just a highly speculative guess on my part. Anything can happen under the circumstance.

_Man_

Manus

Second Unit
" Since the players are backward compatible, that is an option. "

If only they would kill off Region Coding entirely so that all new players really would be compatible . I havent come across anyone yet who intends to dump their SD collection and start again . The Video Upscaling solutions in some HD/BD players is a great feature .

~M~

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator

The thing that irks me is that they leave off the "e" so that it's actually Blu-Ray. It's just literally stupid looking and appears like an attempt to be hip by intentionally misspelling a word, thereby continuing to dumb down the culture.

Have some class and call yourselves, "Blue-Ray" why don't you? Heck, even "Sting-Ray" will suffice.:)

I also shudder at the thought of going into the store and asking the clerk if they have "Ray" on "Blu-Ray" i.e. Rayon Blue Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks