What's new

Sin City SE to be released just before Christmas (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm DEFINITELY waiting for the SE now as I fear the Bare bones disc might be another lousy transfer from Buena Vista, (Disney, Miramax etc...)
EE abundant and crappy resolution like "Kill Bill", "Hero" and "Cold Mountain" and especially "Gangs of N.Y." which is terrible.
DVDfile's review didn't sound too promising....
"...The film's theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 is presented in anamorphic video. Edge halos are present, but they come and go. At no time do they become intrusive. Perhaps it's the unusual look of the film - black and white with exaggerated contrast - that helps keep them from becoming distracting. The ingeniously placed color is always free of chroma noise, always free of smearing, and ranges from highly subtle to highly saturated. I didn't notice any macroblocking or mosquito noise. Small object detail is rather good, but finely grained textures are a tad on the soft side. But like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, the style masks the flaws. The visual presentation departs from reality to the point that video faults simply become unimportant."
Well in this day and age, ESPECIALLY with a film shot on the same HD 1080p 24fps. Digital video camera as SW ep. 2 and 3, there shouldn't be ANY flaws. The DVD should look as good as possible.
There shouldn't be ANY EE and detail should be incredible. It's a shame that a film as dependent on image and visual style such as this should have anything less than a phenomenal DVD transfer, especially with all that room on the disc!

but what do I know. Maybe the SE will look better...

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
I was worried about the video transfer like Dave was. But it seems that according to Mr. Harris's "highly recommended" review, both video & audio are superb. I guess I'll be double dipping on this one.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
No double dip for me, I'll wait for the SE. Only a few more months...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Sounds interesting, but still nothing on whether the theatrical cut will be included or not. I'd like to have both (or more, the ability to watch the original movie as well as the individual stories), but if it's not there, I'll probably just wait for a $10 copy at Blockbuster.

And the suggestion of a Frank Miller cover for the SE DVD is great-I'd love to see that!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Since Rodriguez states in the interview that he recorded the Austin premiere night theater audience so you can play it as an alternate audio track I'd say the theatrical cut is included.

Of course this could also mean that a triple dip is in the works.

Chris

Clay_E

Second Unit
Awhile back, when the movie was still in release, I seem to remember Rodriguez saying that the eventual DVD would enable the viewer to watch either the movie as seen in theaters or the individual stories (some with extra footage, as with Marv's visit to his mom). That would pretty much indicate the presence of the theatrical cut.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, on a different thread, someone linked to Harry Knowles saying that the eventual "holy shit" special edition of Sin City would NOT have the theatrical cut on it. Now, I'm not usually one to take what Knowles says all that seriously, but apparently he does have some connections with Rodriguez, so maybe he's right about that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Other than the obvious reason of wanting the movie ASAP, I'll be picking up the first release just because I could see the Sin City SE taking as long as the Kill Bill SEs. Well, maybe not that long but I bet it won't be out as quickly as is rumored. :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. I think it would make perfect sense to have the SE out in late Nov./early Dec. to capitalize on the holiday shopping season. It seems that there would be much more interest in the DVD if it was released then as opposed to putting it out in the spring or summer of next year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Just to play devil's advocate, they could still being selling the barebones copies at the holidays and still sell an SE sometime next year as well. I should be careful though, I don't want to give Dimension any ideas:)

Hopefully, the SE will be out as soon as possible though. I don't care if I buy it on Tuesday and on Wednesday they announce the SE. I loved the movie so for me, it's worth it!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't see the SE coming out until the sequel, "A Dame To Kill For" hit the theaters the end of next year (based on shooting supposed to start in Jan 2006).

I'll gladly pick up the current one previously viewed for $10 to hold me until then.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
From NECA ONLINE...

Even the most hardened heroes have to cash out at some point, but it's how they buy it that counts. Our first and final stop today is Death Row at the Basin City correctional facility. If you peek your head in you will see that Marv is strapped in his chair ready to die. Not exactly the happiest thing you could see, but if you look at his face, you know that he wouldn't really have it any other way. In his mind, he's already won anyhow. Pretty much everything you would see there would be something you would never want to forget. NECA/Reel toys realized this, and thus we are making it impossible for you to forget. Enter: Death Row Marv.
A deluxe figure with special action features, this Marv is a step above and beyond anything like it you have ever seen before. Flick the switch and he says the first line, "Get a move on, I haven't got all night!" He gets the juice as he vibrates and shakes, and inside his head his skull lights up with a blue light as the electricity courses into his body. The vibration stops and he says "Is that the best you can do, you pansies?"
Beyond the action features, Marv comes with 3 interchangeable heads of different styles: Regular, Spicy, and Extra Crispy. I'm sorry, it's close to lunchtime for me. He really comes with Regular, Regular w/ skull inside, and Burned (crispy!) heads for after you give him the life ending jolt. After all is said and done, expect to find Death Row Marv in the stores at the end of this year, to coincide with a planned Director's Cut Edition DVD of the Sin City movie. Stay tuned for more pictures on the final piece, including the alternate heads, and some video of the figure in action!

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
They released that figure a few years back... it was EXCEEDINGLY cool :D

Although the one that was released was the graphic novel's Marv... are they re-releasing it or making a Bruce Willis version?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
getting both as i hear the only way to get the theatrical cut is on the bare-bones as on the first disc a few bits have been added

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Regarding whether or not the theatrical cut will be on the special edition, this quote from Rodriguez seems to suggest that it will: The separate stories being on a "second disc" certainly seems to imply that the first disc would contain the theatrical cut. (Although I suppose it also could contain a longer version of the interweaved theatrical cut, with the extra scenes put back in).

Makes no difference to me. Being impatient, I'm a noted double-dipper if I think the movie is good enough. My copy should arrive by mail tomorrow.

--Jefferson Morris

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Arrgh. I was really anxious for Sin City on DVD, but I'm too broke to buy it now only to buy it again.

If we really could have a SE by Christmas I'll hold out. I do hope it has the theatrical cut included. If not, I'll pick it up previously viewed for cheap some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks