What's new

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think there could be racial undertones if the character was black but since he's obviously not, it's just about police brutality.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Oh and did anyone else know that the Colonel from 'Hell and Back' and the hitman from 'The Customer is Always Right' is the same character?? I didn't!
Kain_C- Where did you get that info? That explains some background on the Colonel. V. interesting...

Rafael.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
According to many IMDb messageboard posts, Frank Miller outright made this claim. Now I did some searching on google because I certainly do not immediately trust messageboards, but I couldn't find anything substantial yet. Supposedly, the IMDb casting credits of the first Sin City movie listed Josh Hartnett (who played the hitman in the Customer is Always Right) as 'The Colonel' at one time instead of 'the man' like now.

Also, according to Chud.com Hartnett is cast as 'The Colonel' in Sin City 2 & 3.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Why make it obvious? More interesting if it's NOT obvious, as it makes the boilerplate Sin City "hero vs. the system" story more interesting. Even more poignant considering the theme of the corruption in Hell and Back. (slavery and black market dealings for money)

I never once thought Wallace was white. If I am wrong, then Hell and Back became much less interesting and unique.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
It's just that Sin City is not painted with subtle strokes, neither the characters nor the stories.

And why would the race of a character make a story "less interesting and unique"? Would you state the inverse of what you just said? This debate has turned a sinister corner. Sorry but I don't think I want to participate anymore.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It would make it less interesting and unique because it would be Miller doing the exact same story for the 6th time, and it would remove a layer of subtext I felt was present in all the small scenes (involving the cops, the power brokers, the etc) not present in previous Sin City stories. How is it sinister to proclaim that art *does* see race, and understands not all challenges are equal?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I just think it's obvious. The character doesn't have black features, he's drawn with white skin and blue eyes and without the broad features that Miller always uses for black characters, and there is nothing in the story that suggests he's black, just a single comment that suggests that he may be beaten by police officers.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i know that right now a lot of people are happy with the fact of Jolie, here is another thought Monica Bellucci, admit i stoled that idea from IMDB but that could be a good choice as well

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
In terms of stupefying hotness, Bellucci would be fine, but as I mentioned in a post above, I think it's also largely about mind-f^&$ing personality with Ava. I don't think Bellucci could be as convincing as Jolie in that sense.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
OK another thought is Rachel Weisz, and the mind F@@k that you are talking about, come on, Bellucci deserves a shot as much as Jolie, i never thought that Charlize Theron would be able to pull off Aileen Wornos, and then she scared the hell out of me.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I think Jolie is perfect because of her near 'evil' beauty. Belucci is certainly breathtakingly gorgeous, but not in a way that is 'dark' like Jolie.

I think even Linda Fiorentino a few years ago would have been a good choice.

Rachel Weisz is a great actress, but she really doesn't have the looks nor the overall sinister nature that Jolie has for the role.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link, Oscar. Happily, it appears to confirm Todd Doogan's guess about Jolie being cast as Ava, at least to the extent that she appears to be RR's first choice. And since it would make little sense for RR to put everything on hold if she hadn't already agreed to do it--assuming that she is his first choice, he probably would have just cast someone else if she had been unable to commit to it, and then there wouldn't be any need for a delay to accomodate her pregnancy--the dots seem to add up to an indication that she will indeed play the part.

Of course, any non-Dame to Kill For material that they're going to do for the movie could go ahead and start shooting, if they could accomodate the necessary people's schedules (Willis, Alba, etc).

Also, that link says this:

Dawson returns in Sin City 2, which is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel stories "A Dame to Kill for" and "Lost, Lonely and Lethal."
Hmm...I've read all the Sin City stories by this point, and having read all the short stories together in the Booze, Broads, and Bullets collection, I had to look up Lost, Lonely, and Lethal to see what it includes. If they really are going to base the movie partly on that (with the caveat that one blurb on a website is hardly definitive information), it seems likely that another important new character in the second movie will be Delia, aka Blue Eyes. They have already used her, albeit only indirectly: Rodriguez says on the DVD commentary that accentuating Alexis Bledel's eyes in the first movie was partly inspired by the existence of the character of Blue Eyes (sort of like "the customer"'s red dress was inspired by The Babe Wore Red).

So, time for some more speculation...if that does turn out to be the case, who's our fantasy casting for Delia? Nobody immediately comes to mind for me, so I'm just throwing it out there for consideration.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Not a Holmes fan myself...and though I know they can deal with this via the technology, wouldn't it be better to cast someone who does really have blue eyes? Holmes has brown eyes, doesn't she?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Looking back, most of the release date speculation is somewhat old. DO we have a firmer timeline for when the film will be released? I loved the original, and have very high hopes for the sequel as well.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen anything firm about a release date, Chris. The first one was released early April of last year, and now that we know things are somewhat on hold for this one, I guess I wouldn't expect it before early April of '07. The rumors about shooting back-to-back sequels at the same time, if true (and those rumors are pretty old, I haven't seen anything to substantiate them), would presumably push it back a bit as well.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well the press is all over Predators and RR has to answer questions about Sin City 2, and the next Spy Kids flix, the rumor was the script was ready almost a year ago, i just dont get the hold up. Know that part of it was waiting on Jolie, for the part, but with Brittney Murpheys untimely death, and how much Shellie plays in the stories, will need to recast, and best possible candiate i can think of at the moment is Katee Sachoff,

juli888

Auditioning
Real Name
juli
The film very much is pleasant to me!!! I looked the first part and I wish to look the second. An interesting film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Eva Green to Play title character in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Green is officially playing Ava Lord, after a lot of names (including Angelina Jolie) have swirled around the role. Due to the unique way Miller and Rodriguez film these movies, the Sin City sequel has been shooting since last October, in bits and pieces as the different actors become available. Green stars opposite Josh Brolin as the pre-surgical Dwight McCarthy. Returning from the first film are: Bruce Willis as John Hartigan, Jessica Alba as Nancy Callahan, Rosario Dawson as Gail, Clive Owen as post-surgical Dwight McCarthy and most importantly Mickey Rourke as Marv. Jaime King also reprises her double role as Goldie and Wendy Other characters have been recast: Jamie Chung replaces the pregnant Devon Aoki as Miho, and Dennis Haysbert replaces the late, great Michael Clarke Duncan as Manute. Playing new characters are: Julia Garner as Marcy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Johnny, Ray Liotta as Joey, Christopher Meloni as Mort and Juno Temple as Sally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks