1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Simultaneous DVD-A and SACD hookup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yumbo, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Well-Known Member

hi,

I have an RP82 with DVD-A and am looking for a 2nd player with progressive scan AND A BUILT-IN SCREENSAVER (to protect plasma), and might as well come with SACD - any recommended players?

since receivers only have 1 analog 6 channel input - is there a recommended way to hook up both?

thanks

2. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Well-Known Member

I also would like to find out if this is possible. I will be getting a SACD player later this year and I already have my DVD player hooked up to 6 analog inputs.

Is there a switch out there?

Paul

3. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

4. kevitra

kevitra Well-Known Member

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Well-Known Member

Philip,

Yes you do. I use one of the switchers in my second system, and ordered all the cables I need from Parts Express for somewhere around $40 / 12 pair, including shipping.

Regards,

7. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Well-Known Member

Or get a Sony ES or QS receiver....

8. KeithH

KeithH Well-Known Member

I use the Radio Shack switch boxes, and they are great. As for cables, it doesn't have to be that big a deal. If you are running separate DVD-Audio and SACD players into a receiver with two sets of multi-channel inputs, you need 6 pairs of cables. If you have separate components and use the Radio Shack switch boxes with a receiver with one set of multi-channel inputs, you need 9 pairs of cables. Unless you are using high-end cables, the extra three pairs shouldn't break the bank. I have separate DVD-Audio and SACD players and a receiver with one set of multi-channel inputs. I gladly bought the Radio Shack switch boxes for $30 and three more pairs of cables. That ran me a lot less than buying a new receiver like the Sony STR-DA4ES.

9. Ron S

Ron S Well-Known Member

Or you *could* just connect the SACD player via two channel analog to the receiver, and reserve the DVD-A player for the multichannel inputs. Or vice-versa.

You'd give up multichannel SACD with the first option. For my own tastes, I find I rarely listen to the multichannel portion of SACD's. The fidelity of the 2 channel output is so good, plus there are numerous 2 channel only SACD's.

Multichannel makes more sense to me for DVD-A, as you can use the DVD's player's capabilities insofar as DD and DTS tracks.

Just another option, YMMV.