What's new

Simpsons to 'out' a character in January 2005 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I would bet it won't be Lisa or Milhouse, or even a child on the show. Could you imagine the uproar there would be to discuss a sexual preference of a child character, even though its a cartoon.

My money is on Smithers. The writers are probably bored with the character and need to inject some life into the storyline to furhter his character.

It seems every few years the writers create a storyline that furthers a characters development. IMO is started with Lisa becoming a vegitarian. Then it moved on to the divorce of Milhouse's parents, Skinner and Edna, Apu getting married and having 8 kids, Ned's wife dying.

Paul

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

First of all, these are hardly normal child characters here. Second of all, we've seen these kids having crushes for the opposite sex. If a child character has the same innocent crush towards a member of the same sex, would it be any different? Third, outing a child would hardly reach the level of inappropriateness that Homer (accidentally) kissing Milhouse had last season.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
It doesnt matter if you dont think there is anything wrong with it. I think most of us can agree that America is not ready for it, and even the Simpsons wouldnt push that boundary.

In fact as it is the outing of Smither episode will probably make the news again when it finally airs.(Lets face it, we all know its Smithers)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If it's going to be based on known existing traits of characters, then my money's on whichever one of Marge's sisters keeps getting dated (she went out with Skinner and later with Troy McClure). Various clues - the not out of the closet float already mentioned, plus the statement 'there go the last vestiges of my heterosexuality' (on seeing Homer naked) in another and Marge saying in the dating Skinner episode that [talking of the sister in question] 'she's the one who decided she didn't like dating' (or some such) after a significant pause.

It isn't going to be Smithers. First, a gay wedding is mentioned and no way is Mr Burns going to go through with that, and Smithers only has eyes for Mr B. Second, it's way too obvious.

However, my bet is that this will be something completely out of the blue and have no bearing on earlier episodes. Accordingly, it could be any of the characters and given the lowered standards of recent series, I suspect the whole thing will be a damp squib.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Supposedly is married. In "Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes" he had an exhibit of a kiddie plane at the Baby Expo, he loses control and the plane flies out the window with his son "Oh dear, My wife is going to kill me" Son also appears in the recent "Battlebots" episode.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Listening to the commentary tracks on some of the Simpsons episodes, they're constantly making reference to an idea that Patty is a lesbian.

Selma is the one that's dated several men, and married Sideshow Bob, Troy McClure, and even Lyonel Huts...just look at her last name...

I don't think it will be Smithers, I think he's pretty well outted at this point, even in that 3 gays of the condo episode...although it would be interesting to see Burns reaction, especially if Smithers declared his love for him.

I doubt it will be a child.

My guess is Patty.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Cartoon or not, outing a child character would cause a HUGE uproar. But if any show can get away from it untouched, its the Simpsons. The controversy on this show has disappeared compared to its first few seasons. Outing a kid would make headlines. I wouldnt bet on it being Lisa though.

As for one of the sisters, I like that idea, as its not totally predictable. Smithers is too obvious for them to build hype over.

For all we know it could be Santa's Lil Helper!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The reason I poked in with my "Who cares?" is because, honestly, this show has died. This is like announcing that they will be jumping the shark next year in order to generate buzz. I think the idea of outing a character is funny (maybe making Smithers' outing into a total joke, like have everyone be completely surprised, though it'd probably turn into a clip show of all his gay moments), but I frankly don't care because it's not going to happen for a long time.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's kind of funny everyone bringing up the past, as if the show has always had such great consistancy...

It's a cartoon, that often doesn't bother with these details.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
They talk abotu a marriage, which leaves the kids out.

How about Sanjay? We haven't heard from him in a while.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
It's Maggy. She should be around 18 now, so they just 'age' the characters for the next season. Wouldn't that be a shocker! :P

Besides, she did shoot Mr. Burns.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

Easy there tiger. I was only trying to point out that I don't think they will go with the obvious. I should have stated that earlier and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

And yes it's going to be Patty not Lenny or Carl like I had thought.

Oh, and WillG that was a fine display of Simpsons knowledge. I bow down. :D

Benson R

Supporting Actor

It doesnt mention that the gay wedding includes the character that is being outed. I hate to join in on the chorus of the Simpsons suck now, but frankly the writers arent any more creative then outing Smithers.

Also as far as who is getting married, the press release mentions several celebrities who will be providing guest voices.

I can already tell you the basic plot outline. Gay marriage comes to springfield. Several new gay characters voiced by celebrities are getting married, it creates much controversy in Springfield. Smithers feels pushed to finally admit to everyone that he is gay.

The only other possibility I might agree with is Marge's sister, but I consider that remote.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The usually unreliable Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet is quoting sites as saying that the character is Patty, and that she'll fall for a golf pro she's taking lessons from.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks