What's new

"Simpsons" stars in work stoppage (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you take it as a given that Fox isn't going to cut prices out of the goodness of their hearts and reduce the amount they take in from DVD sales, advertising, syndication, and licensing revenues, who does deserve it?

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
The most recognizable voices in probably decades want $300,000 per episode? great! give it to them. There are far worse things Fox could be doing with that money. The cast of the Simpsons is way underpaid compared to their live-action peers (look at Ray Romano, or the cast of Friends). Those shows aren't nearly as good as the Simpsons still is, for once let the money go to the people who actually make a great show.

MattGentry

Second Unit
When you consider that Kelsey Grammer is getting, what - over a million per episode, it's not that big a deal. Especially when you consider that Frasier lost it's charm long ago.

And does anyone really think replacing the voice actors is an option? When you consider that each actor voices numerous characters on the show, there's no way that they could logically replace the actors.

In all honesty, it may wind up costing them more to replace the actors. There's no way you're going to be able to find an actor that can voice everyone that Hank Azaria voices. You'll probably end up having to hire a person for every character, and overall, the cost will probably be just as great as if you paid the original actors what they wanted.

And to anyone saying that they think that the actors behavior is appalling or digusting etc., don't try telling me that were you in their positions -people who have created one of the most popular TV series in the last decade and who have helped to create a pop-culture icon- that you wouldn't want the same exact thing...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

No, I certainly didn't imply that in my post.

I'm surprised so many people are "sickened" by this. They are the ones that are responsible for a significant amount of the success of this show. Also staying committed to it over it's long life may mean they had to pass up other opportunities at times. Yes it's only voice work, yes it usually only takes them a part of a day to do a single episode, it just goes to show they are good at what they do. Why should fox get to keep all the money? Why shouldn't the talent get it? These people aren't being greedy, they just want what they deserve.

Does anybody here really think Fox would be as successful today as it is without the Simpsons and Married With Children? Considering the way Fox treated the Bundy's, cancelling the show and never really telling the cast nor letting them do a proper finale, and the way Fox has treated so many other series, especially Futurama, this cast could just be trying to protect themselves for when the axe does come without notice.

Also, once before the producers tried to replace the talent and no one would accept the job. Apparently voice acting is a tight-knit community and no one would take their jobs. If their demands aren't met most likely the show will be doomed.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
"Only voice work".

Bah. Boice actors are some of the most underrated performers ever, because their faces are never seen. They have immense talent and should be paid accordingly.

Just take a look at voice credits for many of the great voice actors, especially the ones most people have never heard of.

Just look at Frank Welker. He is the voice of, among many, many more:

Orbity - The Jetsons
Freddie, Dynomutt - from Scooby-Doo and spinoffs
Jabberjaw
Brain, Dr. Claw - from Inspector Gadget
Spock's screams - Star Trek III
Stripe - Gremlins
Megatron, Soundwave, a dozen others - Transformers
Abu - Disney's Aladdin

Most people don't even know the names of the voice actors who play their favorite characters. The Simpsons' voice actors are the exception.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd also say, look at the big time actors who aren't worth a damn as voice actors. You don't have anything you can rely on but your voice. It does take a certain something to be a voice actor...

Jason

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

You know I love how people always defend these movie stars and athletes who make all this money. My dad, who works very hard as a computer engineer pulls in a modest 80 thou a year (Canadian mind you). Now he works very hard for his money. These "actors" come in for what I've read is a 7 hour recording session, do the voice, get 300,000 and leave! And for what? Entertaining the masses!? Hell even Ray Romano has to put in a week of work for his one mill.

It's a sad world we live in, where a guy who hits a ball will gets more money per night then a teacher, police man, doctor, etc.

That's just me tho.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think voice actors are some of the most talented in the world. It amazes me to listen to an audio commentary with someone that is a voice actor and watch them slip in to and out of character, Dan Castalenetta does this often on the season 3 commentaries of the Simpsons. I think Maurice LaMarsch is one of my favorites, and I've heard Billy West do voices where if you weren't actually hearing him do them, you'd think they were altered by the computer or something.

If the voice talent walks, I won't watch the show, or the movies that they want to make. As was stated good luck trying to replace a guy like Dan Castalenetta who does Homer, Krusty, Barney, Groundskeeper Willie, Mel Kodos, and many others. It would take several people to do that, and that's not even mentioning the 2 other males and Nancy Cartwright who does almost all of the male children with a few acceptions. The voice of Lisa is so distinct that any replacement will be obvious and even Julie Cavner who does Marge and her sisters has a voice and a tone that will be very difficult to duplicate and I don't think there are people that are already successful that would even want to try. People on the fringe of the industry might give it a shot if they're desperate for work, but as was mentioned that's a close nit community and it might harm their chances at getting work in the future.

I'm totally on the actors side here.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

Apples and oranges. People pay a lot of money for entertainment. Who should get that money, the executives? Because that's where it'll go if you don't pay the entertainers, whether they're actors or athletes. It would be nice if teachers and police and the like were paid what they are worth, but don't hold it against people who do make a lot of money.

The reason I said "only voice work" is because it takes this cast less than a day, I think about half a day, to do a show. They don't have to worry about make-up, hair, wardrobe, etc. They don't have to maintain their appearance at all. They don't have to memorize scripts. They don't have to memorize movement. They don't have to do as much promotion. They don't have to work in front of an audience. All they do is read the lines. Sure it took them a few years to refine it to the system they have now, but the fact is they don't have to work as hard as most sitcom actors. But they have an exceptional talent, and I think it's great they are being rewarded for it because they helped build this show, and in this case helped build the network.

I believe whole-heartedly that if the Simpons is a high ranking show this cast deserves comparable salaries to other sitcoms and I hope they get it. With some cartoons it's easy enough to change actors, but this isn't the case. After so many years these voices get ingrained in your head and it'd be hard to accept anyone else. But it can happen. Look at some of the classic characters like Kermit and Bugs Bunny. Also just because Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer adn Dan Castlanetta do so many voices doesn't mean you have to hire 3 people to replace them. I've heard it's taken a ridiculous number of people to replace Mel Blanc.

But still this cast deserves the money. No other cartoon has had the success of this show, hell few shows period have had this success, and the actors deserve their fair share.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
While I think there are people more deserving of money, the fact is that these people deserve a fair share of their product. Whether or not someone thinks they have earned the money based on the amount of work is irrelevant. We live in a capitalist society. The Simpsons make money and in doing so, each member deserves their fair share.

Couldn't agree with this more.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

You're right. They should tax these movies, actors, studios and whoever else appropriately. Who knows, we could get rid of deficits with that much money.:D

Anyways, what do I know. I cant find the Simpsons funny - guess I'm weird.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

uh-oh dragging athletes in to the discussion is very problematic. The only thing I'll say about the athletes thing is just think how much the pro sports leagues and the individual teams make off of the likenesses of those athletes. Video game companies also profit off of this. In the NFL something like 15 percent of all revenue is used to pay player salaries, that means that 15 percent of the league's total revenues goes to pay the players...now just think of that the next time someone signs a $100 million contract which in football BTW, is not guaranteed and realistically they'll be lucky to see half that much.

Anyway, the same applies to actors voice or other wise. They should be given a share of the revenue that is fair, and what ever is fair depends on how much money the show is making. Do they make more money than I, absolutely, but how much of say a school districts revenue is used to pay teacher salaries. I guarantee its a lot higher than 15 percent.

I'm sorry, but IMO fox is making millions off this show, and not only that will make millions on this show long after it has been put in the grave, and all these people get right now is a hundred and twenty-five grand an episode. Fox will make money long after the show is off the air, how much of that money will the voice talent see?

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark

When you get right down to it, that's not "all they do." They, like most actors, must excercise their voices and keep them in good working order, ensuring that when they do come in to record, that they can hit every character mark. A singer needs to practice scales in order to be able to hit the high notes in every performance, the same with a voice-over actor. While someone like Billy West almost certainly has some natural talent, I guarantee that it was not "talent" alone that has allowed him to do the work he has done; it is also the fact that he trains his voice so that he can maintain that standard of work from day to day. When one talks of the "talent" of a performer, the implication is that "Well, they do good work, but since they have talent, they did not actually have to do anything difficult in order to get to that point."
Anyway, that's just one struggling actor's opinion.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Maybe so. But take a good, hard look at what you're willing to pay for your entertainment versus what you pay for those other services, both directly and in terms of taxes. It all comes down to what the market - that's you and me - is willing to pay for.

We spend money on The Simpsons. We, as a group, pay for cable, watch the advertisements (well, I'm sure some people do), buy DVDs, and a whole lot of other merchandise that makes The Simpsons a hugely profitable entity. If the voice actors - the ones indispensible to keeping this entity going - want a big cut of this, it's their right to ask for it, and it makes sense for Fox to give it to them.

Yeah, they make more than people doing more important work. But only because we're willing to give their employers that money for the services they provide.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think where you get into the "they make too much money!" is part envy. The reality is, the Simpsons are a profit-mega center for fox, which has sold the rights to the show for board games, videos games, plush toys, etc. If Fox gave them three times what they make, they'd still be making money hand over fist in the show.

You have to realize, in the entertainment field, you're part of the creative product, and so it's not the same as punching a clock ;)

I run my own business, if I recruit X number of clients and make Y money, that's my business, and you'll probably say "good for you!" But, in the case of the simpsons, the actors -are- the product. And they are what sells, so they are, in effect, the business. They have made it possible to recruit as many buyers of their product as they have. As such, just as I get money the larger my enterprise goes, so should they.

(on the other hand, when you turn to something like sports, etc. they should also realize the "risks" and not take more then the enterprise cand handle and stay profitable.. hello freaking baseball)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member

Bullshit. Prove it. You can't make a claim like that. Sure I think some of the actors on TV are overpaid considering their talent, Friends and Ray Ramano come to mind, but if they can get it, good for them, and if their show is worth that much they deserve their cut. Their high pay isn't directly passed on to me. Sports contracts do get passed onto the fan, but then again I bet the owners would still charge too much for tickets and merchandising.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Show me some evidence, other than people with a vested interest crying poor but not willing to open their books to prove it, that anyone in baseball is losing money. With sports even more than television, the players are the product.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Listen, I'm gonna stop posting here, cause I think I've railroaded this topic a bit. It's obvious none of us will agree. as I dislike the Simpsons and the rest of you love it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Exactly.

As long as The Simpsons keeps on bringing in big money, the cast deserve their fair share. It's not that seven hours of voice work are worth $300,0000, it's that those seven hours help bring in millions for Fox, and so the performers are entitled to fair share of the money. I don't think their demands are unreasonable at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks