What's new

Simpsons Season Six On August 16th (1 Viewer)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
In regards to the "which side of the slipcase" discussion, I like the opening on the right (when looking at the front face of the cover), since that's just how book slipcases are done. However, ya know those WB releases that have a clear or cutout portion on the cover? They print the artwork for the reveal on the wrong side of the foldout! The spine of the foldout has to be IN the slipcover, with the seam w/ no spine info printed on it exposed on the right. This makes no sense.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes, precisely. I have a couple of the "Hanna-Barbera Golden Collection" sets that are like that, and, indeed, they are "backwards" (IMO). And it's obviously MEANT to be that way; because ALL of the "Goldens" seem to be the same silly way; not just one by "mistake".

Actually, re. the "Jonny Quest" set, you can turn the 'innards' around and have "Bandit" showing through the front of the case -- it won't match the art on the slipcover, but it doesn't look bad at all actually -- and then the spine is where it should be -- on the OUTSIDE & VISIBLE TO READ. I've done this "JQ Switch-a-roo" on occasion and it makes for a whole "new" type look for this case; not too bad at all. :)

And -- if you'd like some further "Packaging Anal-ness & Gripes" :) ---- There's the rare occasion when the spine text is printed THE WRONG WAY -- i.e.: printed Bottom-to-Top, instead of the norm of the text going from Top-to-Bottom. It's very rare to find any company that prints spines "backwards" like that -- I have just one like that -- this DVD.....

Actually, all this "Backwards Packaging" talk is somewhat topical with regards to this Simpsons thread -- because it all comes under the heading of certain people "Preferring DVD Packaging Uniformity".

Well, at least Snappers are fast disappearing (or possibly have disappeared altogether). Can't remember the last time I received one of those. :)

Daniel-M

Second Unit
luckily according to my source(my countrys distributor) the box is the same size as all previus seasons

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I was initially really against the drastic packaging switchover, but considerg I will not be collecting past Season 10 anyways (the last season with watchable episodes), I'll just seperate them on shelf by 1-5 and than 6-10 with the distinguishing packaging segregating the series in two from the first and second half. It kinda works.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Season 6 is about when i stopped watching the show. Looks like i dont need to buy it. I stopped after five years of X Files, i can stop after five years of Simpsons too!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
How can you guys just stop in the middle of the show? Being a completist, I'd kill myself first :) It's like reading half a book or watching half a movie and then just stopping.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I agree Paul, but with a show like the Simpsons we don't ever get an ending anyway, so stop while your ahead. Also money, shelf space, and episode quality all play a big part for me. I would own all nine seasons of the X Files, and all 16 of the Simpsons if they were good. I recall season 6 of the Simpsons being good overall, but Fox makes it easy for me to call it a day now. Five years of any show is a LOT of TV to watch. I own 35 different shows on DVD anyway (and growing).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if I'll live to see the day when all seasons of The Simpsons are on DVD, but I'll buy as many as they put out. I like the characters. Same with The X-Files: I have all nine seasons. But there's more of a closure at the end there, but I'm sure they'll have some sort of mega-final episode of The Simpsons that will lead into the movie.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
But rickER, season 6 had some classic episodes like the Rear Window episode where The Simpsons get a swimming pool and Bart breaks his leg. Also, Itchy & Scratchy Land, Treehouse Of Horrors V with The Shining parody and the space-time altering toaster. The episode where Bart and Lisa join opposing hockey teams and turns into a bitter rival. Homer sexually harassing the babysitter with the Gummy Demiloe. The Lemon Of Troy and most importantly, the first episode of the epic Who Shot Mr. Burns? trilogy. I'd at least stick it out until season 9. After that it's pretty shaky. I enjoyed a couple of Season 10 episodes so I'll be ending it there, but any true Simpsons fan can't just throw in the towel after only 5 seasons with so many more great episodes to go... It'll be another couple of seasons before the show really takes it's slide.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably stop at 10 too. I can't remember liking more than half of the seasons episodes after that point...which is a major factor for me in purchasing a set.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Damn you all stop tempting me. :) Some of those episodes you mention i do remember seeing. One of the last i saw that i really liked is when McBain comes to town to make a superhero movie. Loved it, and i also own the Halloween collection with the CGI Homer....the real world breast cake...mmmm.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There was also an IMAX 3D version of this sequence which was part of a movie called Cyberworld. I hope that is included in the set for whatever season that episode came from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks