What's new

Simpsons season 6 and beyond (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy them all, however for the later seasons I don't enjoy as much that is when the commentaries will actually become more of a selling point for me. Sure, the first 5 or 6 or maybe even 8 years its great just to have the episodes, but some of those episodes that I find to be bombs from later seasons may suck but at least an included commentary will probably be entertaining.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
My turn again ;)

I would like to buy them all, I guess if that makes me a "completist", so be it:D

However this "want to buy them all" feeling is always what gets you thinking. I think having one entire row of Simpsons seasons would not only look cool, but it would prove (to one's self anyway) that you're a true fan of the show. I really hope the same package design is used for the remaining sets to create that uniform look.

Also, if they were to drop commentaries altogether, the enjoyment factor from the sets would sink like a rock in the ocean. Hearing the "behind the scenes" chatter for each episode is what makes the sets really worth buying. They give you an insider's view into what goes into each one. Without them, each set basically becomes a "bare bones" release, since there aren't a whole lot of other features included in these to begin with.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think the Simpsons has continued to be a smart, funny and vital show, right up to the present. The latest episode, about importing prescriptions from Canada, was hilarious. Yes, there have been years that were better than others, but the show has remained very solid IMO. I will get all of the seasons on DVD - not for completion's sake, but because I think the show has been great.

I just wish they'd come out sooner.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Sam. I'm getting them all, but not as a completist. I still enjoy the show, and every season has at least a few episodes I can't live without.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Don't lose the commentaries. That's one of the best parts of this DVD series. Once I'm done watching the episodes, I know I'm not completely done -- I've got more to watch!

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
I really dislike movie/tv commentaries. To me it's like upon seeing a gorgeous woman some doctor coming out and explaining the physiological functions of body parts. It just takes the magic away. I'd rather not know what goes on behind the curtain.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Would I buy every season of my favorite televison show ever? You bet! People like to denounce the newer seasons, but there are some genuine gems, especially in this season. I would rather have the commentaries and have the releases take a little more time. It would be really neat to have one season per quarter. If Star Trek can come out 1 per month, then we can get 1 per 3-4 months.

Ryan

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan

Kind of frustrating having to wait so long for silence. And I am probably in the majority, since most people are not really that interested in listening to pointless, insignificant and nauseating details about the production of the show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The people that don't want or listen to commentaries are the vast majority. How many average consumers listen to a commentary on a cartoon?

However, since the people behind the show want to record the commentaries, it looks like the people that want them will get them. And since I'm one of those people that want them, I don't care how long it takes to get the episodes out.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Whether or not people listen to them isn't the point-the point is that they're there. I remember an article that was linked off here at one point last fall where someone (Peter from Fox I believe) talked about the effect of special features. The point was that something like 80% of DVD buyers never watch the special features on a disc, but that nearly all of them check their discs in the store to see what's on there. The point is that while the extras are a selling point, it's more about perceived value to the consumer than actual entertainment time. If more extras make it more likely that people will buy a disc, then more will be added. In the case of the Simpsons, it's a great way to convince fans that they need to buy the box sets, even though the show is in wall to wall syndication.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
The quality of the commentaries varies. Sometimes they go on and on talking about how great the animators, actors, and writers are and how great it is to work on the show, and when that repetitive talk happens, I get a little bored and annoyed. But when they do things like tell behind-the-scenes stories or explain where jokes came from, the commentaries are very enjoyable. Actually, sometimes I just enjoy when they laugh at the jokes...it feels like watching the show with friends and laughing partially because the laughter is contagious.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As you can see from another thread in this forum, Season 6 is due June 14, according to the Fox DVD website.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Does the packaging for the limited edition head version of The Simpsons DVD season sets, have the gauze-like sleeve base which the discs rest on in the normal version of the DVD season sets?

Season 14 is released in the UK on Monday 10th October (source of release date: Amazon UK).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Haven't tested all the discs out yet, but whilst the packaging for Season 14 is the same as with the last few DVD season sets of The Simpsons, the gauze-style sleeves have been changed, with only one disc out of four having some scratches on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks