What's new

Simpsons Season 6 alternate box revealed (1 Viewer)

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I'm waiting for the swell guys behind TVSHOWSONDVD.COM to confirm that they're still doing the "season six alternative box" program, although I assume they are. The Simsponsbox.com website would have said differently . I think I might order the box, as well. I find it humorous that retailers quickly jumped backed on the regular box bandwagon as soon as the options were made. The plastic Marge head is getting quite difficult to find.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Yeah because it's the one that people are buying. Not many people on this board are getting it but a person who was buying an Xmas gift grabbed the plastic head. Stores easily carried more of the heads than the alternate box. Best Buy's ad was the only store to even show the alternate box and that was in addition to the head.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I got the Marge head. I like it, but I'm nuts about the Simpsons.

Cool Simpson things > Making my DVD collection uniform

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Yeah, but sturdy packaging > fall apart plastic. :)

I actually would have went with the heads, but they're just too poorly made.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I didn't care for the insides, but once they're in the head, it stays closed very well.

I'm also thinking about putting the discs into Slim cases. I really just wanted the head as a collectible item.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I would consider the head if it actually fit on my shelf. Unfortunately, it is too tall my a few millimeters.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
The sturdiness of the box isn't bad, except for the fact that the box has no top. It's an average alternative, but it's not perfect. As for transit time, I'd expect to give it at least a month.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Anyone know if this offer is still valid? I haven't even bought the sixth season yet, but probably will soon, and I want to know if I can get the replacement box.

The website's still up, but that doesn't neccessarily mean anything.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if the alternative box will be available for seasons 7 and 8 to purchase since I bought the head?

ry

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
No, you have to buy the standard set to get the standard packaging. I'm surprised anyone's purchased the heads for seasons 7 and 8.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Those awful heads are popular! I see people buying them all the time! Personally, I hate them, but oh well!

One thing I noticed about the original Homer head interior, is that the glue that holds the dvd trays onto the cardboard seems to be a little unstable. On my set, it was melted or something, and shifted the contents down about 1/2 an inch. So, those little plastic trays are now lower than the cardboard they stand on, and since the box has no top, the trays have actually pushed their way past the brim of the box. Do you follow this? Since the trays have slipped lower than they used to be, the height of the tray/cardboard combo is too high and is higher than the brim. So, in other words; this season 6 boxed set is the grandest craparoonie EVER. The damn glue melts and now it looks terrible.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Probably because at many stores, you can't even find the boxes right away. I went to Suncoast video in California and they were selling only the heads. I had to go elsewhere to buy the boxes. Both versions are not universally sold together. I think retailers believe that people are going to be crazy over the heads rather than the boxes. Gahh...!

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Ryan:
Depending on the retailer, either or both packages were offered on the day of their respective releases. Best Buy offered both package types for seasons 7 and 8 (at least around here), whereas my local Wal-Mart offered only the head packaging when each season was initially released; they made the transition to the regular package a few months later (presumably after the initial stock was depleted).

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Well, I figured that since I was stuck with the season 6 head, I might as well have the full set. Since the s6 alternate box is just a slipcover for the head, I don't really count it.

Brenton

Screenwriter
It's not a slipcover for the head. What goes inside the slipcover is the smaller cardboard/plastic part originally found inside the head that contains the discs (which does also look like Homer's head, but smaller). The plastic head does not go inside the box.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - to an extent, I do too. :D

Seriously, I like the heads. Not being uniform doesn't bother me one bit with these. I like the uniqueness of the packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks