What's new

Simpsons Season 20 Question. (1 Viewer)

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Thanks to my wonderful wife I now have a HD TV and Blu-ray player for my birthday!

My first Blu purchase was today’s release of The Simpsons Season 20.

I knew that the move to HD broadcasts came at some point DURING that season, and they wouldn’t all look perfect, but I was surprised – and disappointed at something else!

All previous Simpsons sets, in standard format, were packed with extras, commentaries, and an opening message from Matt Groening.

The Blu-ray set for Season 20 appears to have none of this! Just one extra on the 20th Anniversary TV Special. No commentaries, no Groening, and none of what I’ve loved about previous releases.

Is this true for the standard release of Simpsons Season 20, as well?

If not, and there ARE commentaries (I love the writers’ insights – as a spare-time freelance comic book writer), and other goodies on the standard format edition, I will be very unhappy with FOX and displeased with my choice for my first Blu-ray DVD set.

Please let me know…

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought the set today, but haven't gotten into it yet. Still finishing up the last few Taxi episodes.

I can tell you, though, that there's no extras listed on the regular edition, except some featurette about that 20th anniversary documentary that was on the other night.

Also, the regular edition comes packed in that crappy season 11 and 12 accordion packaging that everyone hates. Hopefully, the bluray discs don't have that problem.

And honestly... I don't mind the lack of extras. The classic days are long over with. We don't need commentaries on every episode anymore, especially if they hold up the release of the seasons.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if season 21 comes with extras next year, if they continue releasing new seasons as they finish. For S21, they will have had the whole season to prepare stuff. S20 came as a surprise.

And S13-19... Put 'em out as quick as possible! They don't need extras.

JMO, of course. And, from what I can tell, the regular DVD set doesn't have anything different from the bluray.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

I can tell you, though, that there's no extras listed on the regular edition, except some featurette about that 20th anniversary documentary that was on the other night.

Also, the regular edition comes packed in that crappy season 11 and 12 accordion packaging that everyone hates. Hopefully, the bluray discs don't have that problem.

And honestly... I don't mind the lack of extras. The classic days are long over with. We don't need commentaries on every episode anymore, especially if they hold up the release of the seasons.

JMO, of course. And, from what I can tell, the regular DVD set doesn't have anything different from the bluray.
I guess it’s comforting to know that there are no extras on the standard format set as well. I couldn’t imagine paying a premium for the Blu-ray, and getting less than the SD version.

And, thankfully, the terrible cardboard sleeve packaging, that marred S11 and S12 for so many of us, is absent on the BD. The BD consists of two discs in a typical plastic case.

I miss the illustrated booklet that was a staple of previous seasons. The BD has a cheap (by comparison with other Simpsons) four-page, minimally illustrated pamphlet. No original air dates are included with the listings. I believe the original air dates to be an important part of the history of ANY series, and should always be included in a TV DVD set. Same for the SD version, I’m guessing?

As declared previously, I still enjoy the commentaries – and am disappointed by their omission. There are also no deleted scenes. One of the great things about Simpsons sets was the ability to optionally “insert” a deleted scene into an episode.

It seems as if this was done up as a quickie (mart?) to get some Blu-ray Simpsons product on the shelves and tie it into the show’s 20th anniversary.

This is disappointing because, the packaging for S11 and S12 aside, The Simpsons DVD season releases have been consistently among the highest quality in terms of content offered.

I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come for Seasons 13-19 and 21 and beyond.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

I guess it’s comforting to know that there are no extras on the standard format set as well. I couldn’t imagine paying a premium for the Blu-ray, and getting less than the SD version.

And, thankfully, the terrible cardboard sleeve packaging, that marred S11 and S12 for so many of us, is absent on the BD. The BD consists of two discs in a typical plastic case.

I miss the illustrated booklet that was a staple of previous seasons. The BD has a cheap (by comparison with other Simpsons) four-page, minimally illustrated pamphlet. No original air dates are included with the listings. I believe the original air dates to be an important part of the history of ANY series, and should always be included in a TV DVD set. Same for the SD version, I’m guessing?
Really?

That sounds cheap, especially for a bluray set.

The standard DVD set has a nice booklet, a little larger in dimension than the ones in previous seasons, and it has all the usual features in the booklets... guest cast, additional voices, chapter titles, runtime, and original airdate for the episodes.

I can't believe the bluray set doesn't have something similar.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Really?

That sounds cheap, especially for a bluray set.

The standard DVD set has a nice booklet, a little larger in dimension than the ones in previous seasons, and it has all the usual features in the booklets... guest cast, additional voices, chapter titles, runtime, and original airdate for the episodes.

I can't believe the bluray set doesn't have something similar.
Yep, the booklet is exactly as I described! Just a list of the titles -- and no more episode information that that! BD and SD may have the same lack of features but, as I thought I would, I have SOMETHING to be upset about!

For BD price, I should at least have had an equivalent booklet!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

I've never seen a Fox Blu-ray title with a booklet or chapter list insert.
Firefly has one, which is essentially the same information contained on the original slimcase DVD covers of that set, but with the additional Blu-ray exclusives mentioned.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Should we send a letter/email, make a call to FOX saying we Blu-ray purchasers would like the regular booklet?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by chadHobbick

Should we send a letter/email, make a call to FOX saying we Blu-ray purchasers would like the regular booklet?
Yes! I haven't even gotten mine yet (should arrive tomorrow), but I damn well want the booklet. I'm pretty disgusted with the Blu-Ray packaging overall, far too minimalist.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by chadHobbick

I think that's a great idea! Is there an effective e-mail or phone number to reach FOX?

They SHOULD make copies available to those who want it, given the price we paid for Blu-ray.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

I think that's a great idea! Is there an effective e-mail or phone number to reach FOX?

They SHOULD make copies available to those who want it, given the price we paid for Blu-ray.
Sounds logical.

I mean, I paid at least 10 bucks less, got a nice booklet (but crappy packaging), and about half the episodes on the set don't even benefit from blu-ray or hi-def.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks