What's new

simpsons need to increase release dates (1 Viewer)

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
why in the world dont the simpsons increase releases to once every 6 months instead of the 1 year. Quite annoying for a series of dvds that have horrible extras. I love the show and i just want more more more.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Here's a thread with a discussion of what's going on

Short form, its a combination of:
1. Graci films needing to approve damn near everything about the discs.
1A. They only record commentaries in the winter months.

That other thread though has all of the good talk about whether or not they should continue with the commentaries at all, and having just gone through season 3 again, I say yes keep them all, they seem to really have fun doing them.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
No matter what the problem is Fox need to get at least two seasons out a year. Three a year would be ideal but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. The show is selling a good few million per season worldwide. The public want more! :D

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's not going to happen. There was a report that they were just recording commentaries for season 4 (due probably in August, like the last sets). So unless they drop the commentaries for every single episode, we're looking at 1 a year until the show ends. There's no way around it.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So that means that last week's episode will be available on dvd in...2015? Am I the only one who thinks this is just a little ridiculous? Ok, I can see wanting to present the most pristine, informed view of your creation for posterity, but at the same time how about striking while the iron is hot? People are ready to buy these discs. People will PAY for these discs. Why not just get the discs to the people? Once every 6 months I can deal with (I'd be releasing em quarterly), but this once a year stuff is getting a little crazy.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Here's how I would do it: Release EVERY season NOW, but make them available only at (an) Internet store(s). But, each quarter, release a season in retail stores so people don't feel bombarded.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Al Geen stated in an interview with IGN that the current season of the show is the priority, and that's why they don't do more commentaries and stuff a year.

It occurs to me that seasons where Al Geen wasn't involved may come out quicker, because he's the current executive producer and that's what keeps him busy. But guys that took the healm when he was gone may have more time, to get more done.

Like what was said, until the show ends you can expect 1 a year. I'm sure that Fox would love to put out more a year, but its not going to happen as long as the show is still on the air. They're contracted through season 16, but after that is anyone's guess. Plus, when you consider that they're working on a movie, it could still be awhile.

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
see thats the silly thing the main voices on the show have no interest in ending the show. I dont want to see the show end. So i am looking at probably never being able to get them all collected cause odds are by the time i get close. Say 35-40 years from now We will all live in some totalitarian state that will outlaw simpsons.

Just thinking negetively.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Assuming S4 will be released in Aug. When can an announcement be expected?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It takes quite a while for them to produce these box sets and extras. I've read thats why they dont come out more frequently.
Would you rather have lackluster extras???

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Yup. A season doc and maybe a couple of commentaries is all you really need.

This has already been discussed to death though, and nothing that any of us can say will change things, so there's really no use in complaining about it.

I notice that the extras for Futurama haven't been a problem in getting the third set out...

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

And there are no new episodes of Futurama being made. (And the sets had already come out in other countries long before they came out in the US.)

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
the extras are lackluster. I have never been impressed by them they could have just episodes in there charge 40 dollars a season dump 10 seasons on us and i would be 400 dollars lighter. Then when they come out with ones with extras i would probably end up buying them also.

TedT

Second Unit
no commentaries = no sale

Got them all on tape anyways. The only reason I buy the DVDs are for the commentaries.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
I'm guessing the season sets are for the true fans, who WANT the behind the scenes stuff. And a DVD without extras basically serves no purpose. Might as well rock the VHS again.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
If you just want the episodes you can usually find them on regular TV about 4 times a day.
A DVD for me is a treat when I get Special Stuff with it.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Actually, around here they're only on once a day and its always the later seasons, but I like the commentaries. You know what Luke said, it occurs to me that nostudio has yet double dipped on a season of a TV show. I bet that wouldn't go over as well as double dipping on a movie would though.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
5 Times a Day in CT

Twice on Fox - Evening
Twice on a Fox Affiliate - Evening (Showtimes do not even overlap)

Once of Fox - Latenight

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks