What's new

Simpsons DVD's (2 Viewers)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Like many, I just assumed that the commentary tracks for Season 4 (and, say, 5 through 7) had already been recorded months and months ago.

But the reason doesn't really matter. I just want that S4 announcement already! :D

(I love the commentaries too. The Futurama tracks are also great!)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I might be in the minority here, but did anyone else find the season 3 commentaries really boring? The first couple seasons had some interesting moments, but it seems that by the third season they'd run out of things to say...

Wezzo

Second Unit
I actually thought the S3 commentaries were better than S1-2; the addition of voice actors and actresses was much welcomed.

I'd also like maybe 2 or 3 releases a year, but being fair, I'd take quality over quantity any day of the week. I'm pleased enoigh with the rate at the mo - and I have King Of The Hill, Friends, Saved By The Bell and (hopefully!) Malcolm In The Middle releases to tide me over.

Real Name
Anthony
FWIW, I think commentaries on EVERY episode is excessive. My main problem is that some of them have ten people in there doing them - that's just too many for a twenty minute show.

I just think they should vary them a little. Some with just cast, some with just writers, maybe even some where the actors do commentaries in character. Now THAT would be special.

TedT

Second Unit

That would be great if they did that for the "Behind The Simpsons" episode!

Agreed!

I think they should think about ending the show by now. I mean it's still funny but The Simpsons have done pretty much everything and the show has lost of the freshness it had a few years ago, and has became a bit expected.

Futurama was often better and The Critic was MUCH MUCH better.

Thibault.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
AICN has a tidbit on Conan O'Brien recording a commentary for Marge vs. the Monorail, but no news on a possible S4 release date.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Just to add some balance to the thread:

I love the commentaries. I'm glad that they also added the voice cast to season 3, and I can't wait to listen to the commentary track(s) with Jon Lovitz that are coming up (as Mike Reiss mentioned in an interview with DVDFanatic).

It's also great news that Conan's recording a commentary.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'd be lying if I said I was pleased with the rate these sets are being released. Seeing as this is a show with 16+ seasons, this is one of the shows that SHOULD be rushed. Frankly, I couldn't care less about the commentaries. That's NOT why I buy them. Albeit, a nice touch, but not necessary. Fans of this show are chomping at the bit waiting for these seasons, yet because of the commentary tracks, we are forced to settle for one season per year.....and with "The Simpsons" still in development, each new season they bring us means, an extra year tagged on to the already extensive waiting period.

I love the show, and I love these sets. But the fact remains that we are no further ahead with each passing year. When season 4 comes out, season 17 will be on the air shortly after. A year after that, season 5 on DVD, season 18 on TV (assuming the show continues). Between the production crew's already chaotic schedule with new shows, the fans are forced to wait because they "insist" on these commentaries......which is obviously near the bottom of the priority list for obvious reasons.

In all fairness, they should take their cue from Warner and the "Friends" sets. Only have commentary on a select key episodes, either that or have 5-minute "mini" commentaries a la South Park Season 3. Frankly, I don't see any end in sight for "The Simpsons" and as long as they stick to this current routine, it'll be the year 2017 or later when we're all caught up.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wish they'd come to their senses and give the fans what they want at a more reasonable pace.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Andrew,

I totally agree with you, I really think people would rather see the shows on DVD, than wait for the commentaries to be done. If we only had one commentary per disc (4 per set) thats fine. Put out 2, 3 seasons a year.

Bryan

Peter Et

Auditioning

A simple(?) question; how many seasons are the actors signed for? Season 15 is on the air right now (episode 12 aired in the U.S. feb. 15th), and I read somewhere that the actors were doing at least one more season. It would be nice if someone knew for sure as I too am convinced that the box sets will be on my shelf quicker as the show ends. Also, I wish they only did half as many commentaries as they have been doing on season 1-3. I want more yellow greatness in my DVD-player NOW! :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
At last I heard they were only signed for season 16 and not beyond. If they're going to reup for some more seasons after next, we should know sooner or later as they need 9 months to produce an episode.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Well I did the math and included season 4 since it comes out this fall and with these 4 seasons out on DVD, that means we should have all of the remaining seasons on DVD by 2017. I think by 2017 we will
all have HD-DVD by than. I also think I will have my own family by than too at this rate.

-Mike

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've said this once I've said this more than once, and I'll say it again. The only way these will remain at their current pace is if the show continues to run until 2017. When the show goes off the air, I'll bet that we start to see 2 possibly even 3 sets a year. Once the show is off the air, Fox will really lean on the creative forces behind the commentaries and as Gord mentioned the DVDs themselves to get a move on.

We'll see, but now we're starting to get news about commentaries for season 4 being recorded, which is a good thing.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Here's an idea instead of the commentaries, or in addition to them:

Pop ups on the episodes, like the VH1 pop ups on music videos, and like the feature on the Spiderman DVD. Little facts and info on the episodes, like where the parodies came from (Lord knows there are a ton in every simpsons episode, some that you won't catch until years down the road).

What do you think?

Bryan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, did they do something like this on a season 3 episode? Colonel Homer or one of those, I thought an episode had this. I don't have a preference either way as long as they speed these up.

Mike Reiss did an interview with DVD Fanatic where he mentioned that John Lovits had sat in on a few of the commentary tracks for season 4, and the news from AICN about Conan recording at least 1 commentary is correct.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Well I hope you're happy Casey, now my hand is forced to put the ole Simpsons season 3 into the ole DVD player to check it out:emoji_thumbsup: I'll let ya know in the am

Bryan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Oh no, you'll have to watch the Simpsons, poor you, what I did was terrible, just terrible. Tell you what, I'll inflict the same pain on myself, I'll start with Homer at the Bat, I've seen it a thousand times, I don't think I could stand to watch my all time favorite episode even one more time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but don't forget about the movie! ;) That'll slow things down if the rumors are true.

And as far as the commentaries on every episode. As much as it stinks to have to listen to every commentary on every episode, the issue I have with commentaries on only a few episodes is there is always one episode that bugs me that it doesn't have commentary. The Critic was a great example where there was one episode that I was DYING to hear them talk about, but it wasn't choosen for commentary :angry:

Considering I love EVERY Simpson episode, I don't mind having to listen to every commentary track if it means that I won't ever have to worry about a particular episode not getting commentary.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Who says you have to listen to every commentary track?

Is Matt Groening spending all of his time going to peoples' houses and forcing them to listen to all of the commentaries at gunpoint or something? No wonder these things are taking so long to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks