What's new

Simpsons censorship question (1 Viewer)

Galen_V

Second Unit
Speaking of commentaries.... which seasons did Conan O'Brien write episodes for? I wonder if he'll participate in commentaries for those episodes when his time comes, since we've had other episode writers doing commentaries for the first 2 seasons.
There is a complete list here of everything that Conan has done for the show (writing, producing, voice work, etc):
http://www.biercephile.com/conan/simpsons.html

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
NOT editing the episode could give the casual Simpsons viewer the impression that the writers were making fun of his murder, which was obviously not their intention
Good point! Someone could get that impression if they didn't know that it originally aired before his death.

Not to lead the thread in another direction (but I guess I am ;)), I remember someone saying that they edited out a scene in Seinfeld (where the guys get stuck in a traffic jam due to the Puerto Rican Parade) and Kramer accidentally lights the P.R. Flag on fire. I just saw this episode a few weeks ago and it wasn't cut.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Which is VERY relevant to that episode.
Which episode? I must have watched at least four episodes with commentaries that brought up "The Cosby Show" stuff again and again.

Yes, you were on against "Cosby." We got it the first time. Sheesh! :wink:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I must have watched at least four episodes with commentaries that brought up "The Cosby Show" stuff again and again
But considering the fact that every episode was up against Cosby that year, wouldn't it make sense that each episode would require some sort of Cosby talk?

You also don't have to listen to them. I like the loose format of the commentaries, kind of like you're amongst a bunch of friends while watching the episodes.

Expecting technical and relevant info through every minute of Simpsons commentary would be a bit much (and boring). Also, I don't remember seeing the words "Criterion" on the disc either. LOL :)

MarcVH

Second Unit
One curious thing I've noticed is that often, the closed-captioning will show something different from what the speaker says.

For example, there was one where Bart was thumbing through some various keys on his keyring, noting what each was to (e.g. "Principal Skinner's office", etc.) But the closed captioning showed him identifying a few of them as "gun lock" keys. One possible interpretation is that the line was changed at the last minute to something less offensive, but the closed captioning had already been done and wasn't changed.

Dion

Stunt Coordinator
You also don't have to listen to them. I like the loose format of the commentaries, kind of like you're amongst a bunch of friends while watching the episodes.
I agree. You get an insight into the personalities involved, which is just as interesting to me as any information that's presented on the track.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I actually liked the Jay Sherman episode, if only because I found the show BEFORE the Simpson crossover. I found it strange that Groening dind't care for doing this crossover, yet he had NO problem with the King of the Hill gust appearance in one of the later seasons..

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The whoel episode wasn't based around King of the Hill. I liked the film festival part of the Jay Sherman episode, but not so much Jay interacting with the Simpsons.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In the episode "Viva Ned Flanders", Homer and Ned are at the roulette table. While trying to pick numbers, the original airing has Homer saying, "When are the kids birthdays? Barney's is April 20th, same as Hitler's." After the incidents of Columbine High School a few months later, the episode ran again in a repeat and changed Homer's line from "April 20th" to "June 15th, same as Lassie's." When "Viva" hit syndication, it looked as though they kept it April 20th.
Link Removed[/B]IMDb
has a list of alternate versions for The Simpsons. Most of the changes mentioned here are just cuts in the syndicated versions. But some of the changes were made before the episodes were syndicated, when they reran on FOX. (And they aren't in any particular order.)

Brenton

Screenwriter
This is spooky. As soon as we mention these controversial episodes, I start seeing them on TV in syndication. Yesterday, (Easter) I saw the New York episode. I didn't see the whole thing, but it certainly did show Homer running from tower-to-tower to go to the bathroom.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Often the lines are changed at the last minute so as not to offend the advertisers, but the CCs aren't changed due to time constraints.

Casi in point: In the episode where Homer has a bucket glued to his head, he does some phenominally bad driving that nearly gets him and everyone else near him killed. In the episode, he says "That had nothing to do with the bucket", but the CCs simply said "Stupid Ford!".

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks