What's new

simple - I have $3000 which is the best? (1 Viewer)

todd_mars

Grip
Man, I have tried to take this all in but I haven't foound the perfect answer. I have $3000 give or take a few hundred and I would like a 1080p hdtv. It will be going in a dark room so lighting isn't an issue. I will also be buying a blu-ray to go with it. I was planning on a plasma but am open to other displays. The room is pretty big so size isn't really an issue (no projection tv's though). I was thinking of one of the Panasonic's (TH-50PX6-U or TH-50PX600U) but again please talk me into something?

Thanks,

T

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Todd:

I really like the Panasonic plasma. I also have been looking closely at the new Samsung LNT4665F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV. When I looked at the pictures from this set next to other LCD and Plasma sets I was really impressed. If you have a chance to see it in action both Best Buy and Circuit City have it.

Parker

todd_mars

Grip
Thanks Parker! Anyone else? Are all $3000 HDTV's the same? In the past when I have bought tv's certain one are always talked about. My last tv was a sony trinitron XBR and at the time it was talked about as being the best in it's price range. The same goes for my Denon receiver. I would think at this price point there would be a few tv's that everyone is buying? Is that not the case?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As someone else mentioned in the other thread, the Panasonic TH-58PX60U is going for under $2500 at Amazon (and probably other online vendors), and that is a steal for a 58" plasma!

If your viewing depth is around 10'-12', then the 58" would be a nice addition to your room.

I recently got the TH-50PX600U, but haven't got it hooked up yet due to some hellacious home circumstances, but hoping to have the HT all back in order in 3-4 weeks from now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh, sorry, for $3000, you are probably not going to get a 1080p plasma or LCD over 42" at this time. Check back next year, and I'm sure the prices will go down.

But you have to figure out if 1080p is really what you need or is it hype in terms of viewing quality. If you sit really close to the TV, you'll get some benefit from having more pixels on the screen (1080x1920), but from a certain viewing distance away, the resolution of 1080x1920 isn't going to blow away a 768x1366 display. It's a balance of cost vs. perceived benefit. Only you can decide that for yourself.

Until you also specify a viewing distance in your HT room, it'll be hard to make specific sized TV set recommendations.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
WOW. at $2500, thats a killer deal! My complaint is that it doesn't have a black bezel display. But damn is that price intriguing.
At least the '07 Panny's are going to go black. Thats one reason I went with their commercial line for my bedroom last year.

todd_mars

Grip
Yeah, sorry about that I missed the entire boat on that one. I was assuming many of the plasmas wer 1080p when 95% of them aren't. So this goes back to the question of LCD or LCos or DLP or Plasma. My viewing distance is ~11-12 feet for the main couch but only 6-7 feet for my chair. Both are used regularly. I kind of feel that if I am gettng a Blu-Ray player then a plasma doesn't take full advantage of the video quality. Did I miss something? I would think that a 1366 x 768 panny shouldn't look ask good as a 1080p tv with Blu-Ray right?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I used to feel that way, but you need to factor in viewing distance, black level, contrast ratio, color fidelity, and then resolution (because after a certain viewing distance, your eyes won't be able to resolve the greater detail that 1080x1920 resolution will offer in a 50" screen - you won't be able to buy a 58"+ 1080p plasma for $3000 at this time, but it's possible for a 50" model).

I would recommend going to the local stores, and walk off the distance for the couch and for your seat, and stare at the different types of display at the viewing angles you'd have in your own room at home. You'll find that some displays won't look good from the wide angles, while others will do much better. But then it's a matter of what image looks the best to you.

todd_mars

Grip
What is the 50' model you speak of? It just kills me to throw down that much money and it doesn't diplay the highest resolution out there. I understand what you are saying and the plasmas look great! I have gone and looked at the sets like you said and the plasmas look great for viewing angle and just about everything but none of them were playing blu-ray. I hate to get caught up in blu-ray but that is the direction I have been waiting for. The pioneer pro-fhd1 obviously looks the best to me and it costs the most as well. So is there a 50" plasma in the $3000 range?

T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had thought the Panny TH50PZ700U was going to be in the $3000 range (if you know someone in the biz, it probably could be), but it's looking to be more in the $3500 range mainly because the 1080p hype will let it command that price point until enough price competition forces the price down in the next 6 months as we get closer to holidays again.

todd_mars

Grip
Thank for the input Sami.

Patrick where are they selling the Panny TH50PZ700U. I don't mind a little extra to get what I want but I couldn't find that TV anywhere but the Panny site when I was looking earlier today.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I suspect it'll be available for delivery but towards the end of April, maybe in 7-10 days. These are the first of the new models, so you'll have to wait just a bit as they are still on pre-order basis.

Craig

Second Unit
I've seen the Sharp 52" 1080P LCD flatscreen priced around $2900 at Costco, Brandsmart, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks