What's new

"Simone" DTS ES but dvd recognize DTS 5 CH ... (1 Viewer)

LiorM

Agent
Hi guys , Just saw "SIMONE" the other day and although
it has a DTS ES sound track ( along with DD EX )
my Toshiba 2109 player recognized a DTS 5 ch soundtrack.
( DD soundtrack recognized as a 5.1 ch soundtrack like it supposed to be )
Now up until now all the DTS soundtrack I bumped with was recognized by my player as a DTS 6 ch soundtrack.
Any one has a clue ?
Thanks ...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It must be a peculiarity of the Toshiba player. My processor reads the Simone DTS track as 3/3.1 (i.e., with a discrete rear center).

M.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The DVD player will not "see" the extra channel in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, the processor is all that matters as long as it has a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoder on board.

Dan

LiorM

Agent
Hi
I'm not talking about the processor. The processor recognize the soundtrack well. What interesting me is the DVD itself since it supposed to detect a DTS 6 ch soundtrack.
Lior

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
LiorM: what the player says in regards to channels when it detects a DTS or DD track is dependant upon what "listing" the mastering facility put in the meta data on the bitstream. The player can sometimes get confused too.

If the bitstream happens to be DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, it will still only read as 5 or 6 channels because the extension file containing the discrete back channel is ignored, much like a normal DTS decoder will not see the extra channel and play it as normal 5.1 without hiccuping.

DTS did this on purpose for backwards compatibility issues.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks