What's new

Simon and Simon Season 3 Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's odd... season 7 being short.

Season 8 is understandable, between the declining ratings and the writer's strike that year.

Perhaps if we're lucky, Shout will combine seasons 7, 8, and the movie. Season 7 was 16 episodes, season 8 was 13... that's 29 episodes and the movie. That would make for a slightly larger box set, but it would finish things up quicker.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
After coming off the web yesterday after making my last post I checked the A-Z of Network and Cable TV shows book and found I'd got part of the last paragraph wrong. I've amended it now. Simon & Simon dropped out of the Top 30 after the 1985-86 season, NOT the 1986-87 season.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

That's odd... season 7 being short.

Season 8 is understandable, between the declining ratings and the writer's strike that year.

Perhaps if we're lucky, Shout will combine seasons 7, 8, and the movie. Season 7 was 16 episodes, season 8 was 13... that's 29 episodes and the movie. That would make for a slightly larger box set, but it would finish things up quicker.
Another thing I've liked about Shout! Factory's Simon & Simon sets is they haven't squeezed five episodes onto one disc and put one full length season onto five discs instead of six. They did this with the second and third season sets and thankfully they're continuing it with the fourth season set.

What you suggested in your post made me think of how Shout! Factory could do a boxset containing the seventh and eighth seasons and the reunion TV movie...

29 episodes overall and 1 reunion movie (which would be around the length of two single episodes) = 31 episodes altogether

31 episodes = an 8 disc set....

Disc 1: Episodes 1-4 of Season 7

Disc 2: Episodes 2-8 of Season 7

Disc 3: Episodes 9-12 of Season 7

Disc 4: Episodes 13-16 of Season 7

Disc 5: Episodes 1-4 of Season 8

Disc 6: Episodes 5-8 of Season 8

Disc 7: Episodes 9-11 of Season 8

Disc 8: Episodes 12-13 of Season 8 and the reunion TV movie.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Below is where Simon & Simon came in the US network TV Top 30 chart during it's eight season run on CBS (source is the book The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows (1946-1999) by Tim Brooks and Earl Marsh).

Season 1 (1981-82) - finished outside the Top 30

Season 2 (1982-83) - 7th (with a 21.0 rating)

Season 3 (1983-84) - 5th (with a 23.8 rating)

Season 4 (1984-85) - 7th (with a 21.8 rating)

Season 5 (1985-86) - 29th (with a 17.2 rating)

Season 6 (1986-87) - finished outside the Top 30

Season 7 (1987-88) - finished outside the Top 30

Season 8 (1988-89) - finished outside the Top 30.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thought I'd bump this thread back up because of next Tuesday's release of the fourth season of Simon & Simon on Region 1 DVD from Shout! Factory.

Just checked the season four episode list again on EpGuides.com and TV.com and out of the 22 episodes this season there is the feature length season premiere "C'est Simon", a Christmas episode which may have been partly shot on location in Las Vegas ("Yes, Virginia, There Is a Liberace") and a two-part episode ("Simon Without Simon").

Looking also at the fifth season (which hopefully will be released later on this year) there's an episode called "Reunion at Alcatraz". Was this episode shot on location in San Francisco and Alcatraz? There's no filming trivia on the episode's TV.com page.

Finally, I hope Shout! Factory can release Whiz Kids on DVD sometime this year.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Today, axelmusic.com sent my "Simon and Simon"-Season 4 discs to me. So hopefully I´ll get it on Saturday.

I got a question. It´s striking that the ratings got down in Season 5. My question is: Are the Seasons 5-8 worse than the seasons 1-4???

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
For a few seasons in a row Simon & Simon had Magnum, p.i. as a lead-in, which I'm guessing helped boost it's own audience. But then things started to change in the mid 80's when The Cosby Show appeared. The night-time soaps/dramas started to drop in the overall season ratings, and the same thing happened with Simon & Simon & Magnum, p.i.

I have no idea what the quality of the show was like because I never saw the show properly when it was originally shown in the UK (on ITV I think), and haven't watched any of the first three seasons on DVD yet. It's strange though, that the fifth season has the most number of episodes, and yet the show must have been dropping in the ratings. The following season (season 6) the episode number goes down to 22. The following season (season 7) just over the number of episodes for an initial season order were made, and then in the season where a lot of shows started late in the US (the 1988-89 US TV season) Simon & Simon has an initial season order of 13 episodes. But after the 11th episode of season 8 was shown (on New Year's Eve, 1988) the last two episodes were held back until May 1989 when the show finished.

Did the makers of Simon & Simon change the way the show was shot in the 1985-86 season, like with Falcon Crest and Knots Landing (shot on videotape), having a softer picture/print quality? Or did they start filming on videotape from the 1986-87 season onwards, like with Dallas? I know from watching a YouTube video for Simon & Simon's title sequence for the fifth and seventh seasons, that the title sequence was altered. Mary Carver and Joan McMurtrey joined the cast. Also, the voiceover person who said "Tonight, on Simon & Simon..." during the episode previews changed later on in the show's run.

media-junkie

Agent
Real Name
Johnson Manes
The problem may be that the producers had hoped to break Simon and Simon away from Magnum and to allow it to succeed on its own.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
When people who are getting the fourth season set of Simon & Simon next week, can they post any information on the print/picture quality of the episode previews and episodes (which has been very good so far), and whether the episodes are uncut or not. Regarding music edits Shout! Factory have stated whether there have been any music edits (which they did with one episode in the second season set).

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I just went to order my copy from Amazon, but.. I am not thrilled with paying $44.95. So I will wait it out a bit and see if the price comes down. I will be getting my copy somewhere next week.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

Deep Discount has season 4 available for $37.40.
Yeah, I am considering that thanks. I have been trying to shy away from DeepDiscount going forward, ever since it took forever to receive Vega$ S1V2 a couple months back. I might wind up ordering it there though. You would think Amazon would have a better than 10% discount. But, apparently not (at least not yet).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm waiting for Amazon.com to drop their price for the second season of Tales from the Darkside. I'm assuming they won't drop their price for the second season of In Plain Sight yet, because that hasn't long been released on Region 1.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My copy of the fourth season set was shipped yesterday/today by Amazon.com so I should get it in the post in three weeks. But I know I'm going to have to pay customs charges because the total price of the boxset, once it's been converted from US dollars to UK pounds, will be over £18.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I posted in this thread about the season four Region 1 DVD set of Simon & Simon, because it was an existing Simon & Simon thread with I think the most replies to date.

Hoping there won't be any syndicated masters for the hopeful fifth season set (should be another six disc set).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A review of the fourth season set by Gord Lacey has been posted on TVShowsOnDVD.com. Interesting looking at the running times for the two episodes which are syndicated masters, having a running time three minutes shorter than the other hour long episodes in the fourth season (not including the season premiere).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
TVShowsOnDVD have posted news on their website regarding the fifth season of Simon & Simon on Region 1 DVD. Interesting news. One, because of it possibly being available exclusively through Shout! Factory's website, and two, because the July release is only three months after the fourth season was released on Region 1 by Shout! Factory. Hopefully the quality of their previous three Simon & Simon DVD boxsets continues into the fifth season set. The URL link to the news article is below:

Simon & Simon: Season Five (Region 1 DVD) - TVShowsOnDVD.com news article

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Can a guy from Germany like myself order it from Shout! or don´t they ship to Europe?

I´d like to order Season 5!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks