What's new

Silly question from somebody that should know the answer! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Donahue said:
^ One thing to keep in mind though is that UV will enable you to download files this year when the CFF is released.I am a huge Apple fan, but when it came time to decide where my digital money was going it went to UV. It is true that Apple will probably not go out of business, but it is also true that studios yank titles from iTunes all the time, but that isn't so with UV. Before i switched to UV I had 32 purchased movies on my Apple TV. A check yesterday told me I now only have 27. All of those missing titles are still available to me in my UV account.Yes, I know you can go the download and play locally route, but it just seems to be an extra step (and more hardware) than is needed when I can stream my UV titles through Vudu just fine. Also, any physical movie you purchase will give you a UV code, not iTunes.Lastly, another big reason I went UV was the disc to digital feature. Because of the 50% off special Vudu has been running, I have been able to put 454 HD movies in my UV account since last July for about $1 ea. If I wanted to build that collection in iTunes I would have had to flat out purchase each one, which wasn't going to happen.The whole DMA thing doesn't bother me at all, either. As long as I at some point will be able to hook my current UV provider of choice (Vudu) up to my DMA account, then my Disney movies will sit alongside my UV movies as if they were all the same "format." Disney themselves has already said that day is coming.
Regarding that feature, there sure are a lot of Universal, Fox, Paramount and Warner titles not eligible for that disc to digital feature. It took me 20 or more of such titles yesterday to get ten of them for that discounted price of $1.

P

Patrick Donahue

^ Really!? Out of my 454, I have a stack of only about 12 or so that I'm still waiting on. Theres a sticky thread at the Vudu Forums that informs of changes made weekly.Also, if you have a hard time getting Vudu to accept a disc, you can also use CinemaNow as a backup plan. You wont get the 50% off but its an option...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Donahue said:
^ Really!? Out of my 454, I have a stack of only about 12 or so that I'm still waiting on. Theres a sticky thread at the Vudu Forums that informs of changes made weekly.Also, if you have a hard time getting Vudu to accept a disc, you can also use CinemaNow as a backup plan. You wont get the 50% off but its an option...
Granted, most of these are catalog titles so it's not titles that were filmed in the last five years or less.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Can someone explain exactly how disc to digital works? Thanks

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tino said:
Can someone explain exactly how disc to digital works? Thanks
Guess not. Well I tried it today and was unsuccessful at converting DVD's that were eligible. It said they were not eligible even though their website said they were.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino said:
Guess not. Well I tried it today and was unsuccessful at converting DVD's that were eligible. It said they were not eligible even though their website said they were.
Tino,

Sorry, I didn't get back with you. Did you read this page? As to your above quoted post. Yes, it's a very frustrating process because as many as 50% of the discs you're trying to convert might be ineligible especially catalog titles.

Another funny thing, I was able to conver the DVD of The High and the MIghty to an HDX presentation on Vudu.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmm. I tried with the flixter app. Maybe I'll have better luck with the Vudu app.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tino said:
Hmm. I tried with the flixter app. Maybe I'll have better luck with the Vudu app.
I found the Vudu app to be a lot better than the Flixster app when I experimented with the Disc to Digital thing - it seemed like Vudu had more titles and was less prone to error messages than Flixster.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Josh Steinberg said:
I found the Vudu app to be a lot better than the Flixster app when I experimented with the Disc to Digital thing - it seemed like Vudu had more titles and was less prone to error messages than Flixster.
The Vudu app worked great. I think I've converted about 100 films this week alone. Great bargain. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does anyone know if the 50% off ten titles or more is also available in Walmart stores or is it just for at home conversions? Thanks

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ok. So far I have converted close to 800 films! I'm addicted. And it's a great bargain. And now Vudu is even better. You can share your entire movie collection with up to 5 people for free. http://blog.vudu.com/?p=10945

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Crawford said:
That had to cost you a little change even at $1 a pop.
About $800 since early April. And I already owned about 200. My wife thinks I'm crazy. She may be right.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven't converted many films -- mainly ones that I have on DVD, where there's no Blu-ray edition available, but HD transfers are available on Vudu. That seems like a worthwhile occasion to upgrade, especially with the 50% off discount for doing ten or more discs at once. Just recently I added a few classic Marx Brothers titles, since Warner and Universal seem to be in no rush to put out Blu-rays of those titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks