What's new

Silly Question about 16:9 Mode on Panny PT-51HX42 4:3 HDTV (1 Viewer)

I have read multiple threads concerning the 16:9 mode on 4:3 tv's. I am in possession of a Panny PT-51HX42 HDTV, and a Sony DVP-C670D DVD Player (Not Prog. Scan). I have it connected to the TV via a Component Video Cable. For some reason I can not select the 16:9 mode on the TV, and my question is as follows:

Do I have to have a Progressive Scan DVD player to use the 16:9 mode on the TV?

As it is right now, the DVD Player, in the set-up menu has 3 modes: 4:3 Letter, 4:3 P&S, 16:9/4:3 Wide Mode. When I select the 16:9 Mode in DVD Player, I get the stretched looking image, but the TV does not allow me to switch the Aspect Ratio to the 16:9 setting. It just displays the entire image over 4:3 screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
My friend,
you dont´need a progressive scan dvd player for displaying images at a 16:9 ratio, your actual player must work, It has to be in the 16:9 wide mode, and your TV must have a wide mode for this kind of display, just make sure that the movie you´re watching has a 16:9 ratio , a common problem ís that if you try to see a movie that´s not enhanced for widescreen you will only watch a 4.3 movie stretched to fill the screen,
hope this is helpful to you

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've edited the title to include the TV model, and I'm moving the thread to Display Devices, where there's a better chance that other owners of the same TV will see it.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think that model will only do the 16x9 squeeze if it's fed 1080i material through the component video input. That's the way my PT-56HX41p works.

I had to buy a Samsung SIR-T165 which does OTA HDTV tuning, and it can upscale 480i and 480p up to 1080i, and that's how I get to use the 1080i 16x9 compression on my Panny 4:3 HDTV RPTV to watch DVDs in 480p.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I think that model will only do the 16x9 squeeze if it's fed 1080i material through the component video input.
I think that most/all newer Toshiba RPTVs are like this as well. I noted this while perusing the owner's manual for the TOSH. 50H72 (4:3) model. Kind of odd, isn't it, to block the 16:9 mode except while using Component connections? Or is this odd?

Evidently, if you've got a DVD Player without Component Video output capability (there must be some low-end models that do not have this feature), then there's NO CHANCE of ever utilizing the 16:9 "Squeeze" feature on the Toshiba RPTVs. (And evidently other brands as well.)

Because the manual says you MUST use the Colorstream (aka: Component) jacks in order to change the picture mode to either 16:9 Letterbox or 16:9 Compression modes.

Doesn't seem fair does it?

What about those people that either don't have Component outputs, or would rather use S-Video connections, or simply have (or choose) to use the lesser-expensive option of Composite connections?

These people are up a creek w/o a 16:9 squeeze option!

Kind of interesting, too, because I'm guessing this HAS happened many times. ... An HT fan buys his new RPTV (4:3 variety), expecting to reap the full benefits of the nice Squeeze capability. But doesn't realize he must have a Component Video hook-up on his DVD Player. Suddenly: The Realization! Then: The Anger. Then: Traipsing to the local Best Buy to get that new DVD Player with Component jacks!

Has this happened to anyone here?

Also: Do ANY RPTVs allow access to the 16:9 Squeeze Mode using a Composite or an S-Video connection? Or is it something that can be done ONLY via a Component hook-up?

EDIT: (Additional Thought): If you didn't have Component capability, would it be possible to hook up regular Composite-type (RCA) A/V cables to the Component In jacks on your TV? Would this provide an improved picture, or do the exact proper Component cables (Blue/Red/Green) HAVE to be employed here? But, of course, if you DID employ this Jimmy-Rigged technique, it poses another difficulty (unless your DVD Player has more than one set of Audio Out jacks): How do I get sound from the Player to the TV and/or Receiver?

Eric_Lakes

Agent
I have both a Sony Wega 36" non-HDTV and a Panny 51HX42 HDTV. And I have tested both and read both manuals a million times.

you guys are confusing 16x9 display vs 16x9 squeeze.

16x9 display is built in to the DVD disk.. if you buy a DVD that says "Wide Screen" you get 16x9 picture. if you buy a DVD that says "Full Screen" you get 4x3. It doesnt matter what video output you use (composite, S-video or component)

16x9 squeeze is a feature on 4x3 TVs. when you watch a 16x9 DVD on a 4x3 TV, you get black bars on top and bottom of the screen. your TV has to display those lines. for exaple your TV has 400 lines of resolution and the top 25 lines are displaying black and the botton 25 lines are displaying black.. so you get only 300 lines of picture. by using 16x9 squeeze, your TV will ignore the black area and focus all 400 lines into the 16x9 display. It can make your non-HDTV look like HDTV!!! The key is that you have to tell your DVD player that you have a 16x9 TV. if you dont you will get a picture that is 2/3 the normal height.

On my Sony Wega, I can select the 16x9 squeeze with any external video source. It doesnt matter what format it is. only problem is that if your source isn't set to 16x9 you will get a compressed display.

On my Panny, I can not maunally select the 16x9 squeeze. It will only be available if it senses a 1080i signal. and only the component video can accept a 1080i signal!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Not every "Widescreen" DVD is anamorphically enhanced. You need to read the fineprint on the back of the DVD case and look for "Enhanced for 16x9 TVs" or "Anamorphically Enhanced" or "for 16x9 TVs".

There are quite a few old widescreen transfers that are not enhanced for 16x9 TVs (many from Fox and Paramount 2-3 years ago that are still in circulation today - like the Jack Ryan films, and many more that haven't been re-issued, Titanic, The Abyss).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks