What's new

SIGN THE PETITION: More full frame films being released by Columbia!!! (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I think studios are realy getting a bit carried away with this fullscreen nonsense.

I mean dvd was created for optimal quality in video and audio and what do they do treat it as a modern vhs-cassette.

This is just to crazy for words.

STOP FULLSCREEN , SUPPORT WIDESCREEN !!!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I just can't bring myself to get upset over this. If some studio can make a few bucks by rereleasing a title that I've owned for at least a couple of years then more power to them.
You've owned 84 Charing Cross Road on dvd in it's OAR for a couple of years??? This is NOT about putting out p&s versions of previously released OAR discs. It's about putting out p&s only versions of movies that have never been on dvd. If you don't get upset over this now, then the studios will release your favorite film in p&s only, and then you'll be upset but it'll be too late to do anything about it.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Rain for starting this petition.

I'm a day person here at the forum and it was very reassuring to come in this morning and see my fellow HTFers coming together on this issue.

To all those who think that these are minor titles that don't deserve much attention; you're wrong! Every title deserves to be released OAR! This is starting to look like the domino effect, first there was one or 2 full screen releases, now they are stating to come in groups. I'm afraid of what the future may hold. We should fight this now before it gets to a point where our actions will be meaningless.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I've signed it. How many petition drives do we have to do before studios get the message that P&S only releases are unacceptable? It's getting back to the Model-T days of you can get this car in any color you want, as long as it's black. How many more times will we have to fight this battle?

Steve K.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Okay...I just signed it, too. We need to do more, though. Someone please post to this thread and list any additional Columbia Home Video contact information (phone numbers, snail mail addresses, etc.)
They must be FLOODED with complaints to take notice, and they need to take notice before they release a pan'n'scan DVD of a movie that I really care about.
THIS MEANS WAR!!!!
Link Removed

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I signed. No. 161. (Do I get a tee-shirt?) ;)
But seriously... this is a REALLY dangerous trend. I HATE seeing this happen. I probably would have bought 84 Charing Cross Road, but as you all know -- No OAR = No Sale.
-- Paula

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks Rain for starting this petition.
My pleasure.

And thanks for posting that contact info, Malcolm. I challenge everyone here to make a point of sending in one letter and one email over the weekend. I will be doing so.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree with Rain's argument on this one. In fact I posted this a while back about on the question of why Columbia would release a great Vietnamese language movie, The Scent of Green Papaya in P&S only:
, etc.)
This really puzzles me, because J6P isn't likely to touch these DVDs with a barge pole. Just who do the imbeciles who perpetrated them think their audience is? It certainly isn't a money saving measure, because it costs money to Pan & Scan. DVD industry execs who decide to put out Pan & Scan art films are candidates for the moron of the year award.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Let me add a little OAR horror story.
There was a huge article about DVDs in yesterday's issue of a local newspaper. I was only mildly surprised by the number of mistakes in the article. For instance, there were repeated references to DVD players hitting store shelves in 1993, and how they really broke through after 7 years of mass marketing. Basically, it described how DVDs have better audio and video quality than VHS tapes. The writer told that DVDs looked even better on an HDTV, using the "3:2 pulldown progessive scan" feature available on some players. All in all it really wasn't too bad. It was the kind of thing that might make somebody want to buy a player, and its main point was that player prices have come down. It even touched on widescreen vs. pan and scan, saying that both are often available (although advantages of widescreen were not mentioned). I thought the article was okay, not great, but it was kind of cool that there was an article about DVDs in this small County paper... Then I looked at the huge full-color photo that accompanied the story. It showed a nice family watching Remember the Titans on their giant widescreen HDTV. You could see the surround speakers around the room. It looked like a pretty nice setup. Then I noticed something- "Hey, Denzel looks kind of fat." That's right, they were actually watching the pan and scan version, stretched, on their widescreen TV. They apparently didn't see anything wrong with it, and neither did the people at the newspaper. Ridiculous.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I signed the petition. But I'm not really worried about P&S only taking over DVD. Widescreen TVs are becoming more and more popular, and by 2006, theoretically, all TV broadcasts will be HD and 1.78:1. Hopefully, this thing with Columbia Tristar is just a transitional phase. I can't see studos releasing modified 4:3 discs once WS TVs become the norm. I guess we'll see, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks