What's new

Sight unseen Criterions, any input? (1 Viewer)

Felicia J

Agent
Rebecca is an excellent Criterion disc. I have not yet waded through all the special features, but the transfer is stunning! I first saw the movie by renting an inferior "movie only" disc, and the Criterion disc blows it out of the water!

While not a typical Hitchcock film (he was a director-for-hire much like Kubrick on Spartacus), it's a creepy Gothic romance with great performances and a nice twist near the end. I especially like the actress who played the villainous Mrs. Danvers. She's amazing.

I also enjoy this movie for its anachronisms in portraying relationships between men and women. Lawrence Olivier spouts such lines as "I'm asking you to marry me, you silly fool!" and "Good, now pour my coffee. Two lumps. Remember that."

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
I love this thread, I had a few criterions in the past, but some of the others seemed weird and unapproachable boring if you know what I mean. I've since grown and picked up insomnia and rented rashomon. I know have a bunch of others on my list.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
In all honesty, you don't have to buy all these Criterions sight unseen.

That is if you're willing to try NETFLIX out. They have most if not all Criterions for rent. So far I have rented many of the ones that I'm not sure about buying.

Cheers, Rick

Matt_P

Second Unit
Ever since I saw Seven Samurai on VHS (ack!) back in the day, I have been a huge Kurosawa fan. I have been slowly collecting all the Criterion Kurosawas (an expensive proposition--a few more to go!), some of which I have bought sight unseen, due to the fact that I have not had rental access to most of his films (the rental places around here carry next to no Kurosawas). Unseen purchases include The Hidden Fortress, and Yojimbo, both of which I absolutely love.
Bottom line, if it's Kurosawa, it's a winner.
Bring on Red Beard, Ikiru, and Throne of Blood! :D

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
While not a typical Hitchcock film (he was a director-for-hire much like Kubrick on Spartacus), it's a creepy Gothic romance with great performances and a nice twist near the end. I especially like the actress who played the villainous Mrs. Danvers. She's amazing.
Thanks to your statement, Felicia, I researched Rebecca and immediately added to my must buy list. So far my only Criterion is The Rock, but rented and enjoyed Black Orpheus. Renting Seven Samurai if its in tonight.:D

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Universal DVD of BRAZIL is the original US Theatrical version; not the "Love Conquers All" butchered version. It's perfectly safe to rent in order to see if you like the film. That being said, the Criterion BRAZIL was one of the finest LD box sets to see the light of day and the DVD set is a note-perfect port of those LDs.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...and on my "to think about and do a little more research" list I have:
Red Shoes
Children of Paradise
Stop thinking and run out and buy those now. :)
I'm a bit biased as both would easily make my top 10. And you will never see either film look as good anywhere else.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"M" & "The Red Shoes". IMHO "The Red Shoes" is perhaps the most beautiful film I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks