What's new

Sight and Sound (2002) Greatest Films Club (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
bumping because the 2012 list is a day from being announced!

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Well, this is a blast and a half from the past...
I still have the 2002 list on my computer and I'm down to 19 left to see.
Let's see, since my last update in 2003... :eek:
Shadows, The Devils, Woman Under the Influence, Pandora’s Box, The Tingler, woman next door, once upon a time america, kind hearts coronets, topsy-turvy, McCabe & mrs. miller, decalogue, Orlando, Tristana, Death in Venice, Don’t Look back, love me tonight, fast runner, burnt by the sun, odd man out, wind will carry us, oscure object, leopard, gospel according to st. matt, concubine, battle of algiers, passenger, broken blossoms, last laugh, a man escaped, phantom of liberty, au hasard balthazar, vivre sa vie, salo, la jetee, don’t look now, l’argent, loves of a blonde, close-up, masculin feminin, touch of zen, kaagaz ke phool, l’eclisse, in a year with 13 moons, accattone, les dames du bois de boulogne, bob le flambeur, fires were started, music room, canterbury tale, young girls of rochefort, lacombe lucien, lola, a moment of innocence, day for night, f for fake, remains of the day, all that heaven allows, charulata, written on the wind, colonel blimp, rocco, I vitelloni, baby doll, high and low, my neighbor totoro, pakeezah, the sacrifice, shoot the piano player, pyaasa, earth, eternity and a day, late spring, orphee, oedipus rex, la haine, yi yi, double life of veronique, sugar cane alley, puppetmaster, underground, salvatore giuliani, vidas secas, sansho the bailiff, xala, berlin alexanderplatz, europa, rise to power of louis xvi, scarlet empress, autumn afternoon, ludwig, a matter of life and death, jeanne dielman, to sleep with anger, ashes and diamonds, make way for tommorow, bigger than life, red desert, l'enfance nue, hotel terminus,riff-raff, day in country, life of oharu, les vampires, late chrysanthemum, el, Crime of Monsieur Lange, Angel, miracle in milan, silences of the palace, celine and julie go boating
Of the remaining 19, I have two on VHS and I know a few others are hiding on youtube.
Can't wait to start the journey all over again. :)
Evan

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
and I thought I was doing good to have about a dozen left from the 124 films & under (the films that got at least 4 votes, iirc).

What films do you have left?

Evan Case

Screenwriter
City of Sadness, A
Traveling Players
Voyage to Italy
Floating Clouds
Los Olvidados (have on VHS from TCM)
Time to Live and the Time to Die, The
Black God, White Devil
India Song (on Youtube as of a few months ago)
Mother and the Whore (Youtube)
Providence
Through the Olive Trees
And Life Goes On
Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (VHS/TCM)
Meghe dhaka tara (Hidden Star) (Youtube)
Region Centrale, La
Round-Up, The (Szegénylegények)
Still Life
Time of Gypsies
Where is My Friend's House?
The majority of the ones I saw were from local libraries and Netflix, but towards the end, I joined Facets and was able to knock out another 7-8 of them. A few of those from Facets were VHS-only, and cost another $5 each for shipping.
Evan

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
My ratings for those:
100 - Time of Gypsies
94 - Meghe dhaka tara (Hidden Star)
89 - Round-Up, The (Szegénylegények)
88 - Los Olvidados
88 - Still Life (if it's the Zhang Ke Jia... if it's the Saless, then 75)
84 - Through the Olive Trees
83 - Floating Clouds
82 - And Life Goes On
78 - City of Sadness, A
74 - Voyage to Italy
74 - Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
73 - Providence
67 - Time to Live and the Time to Die, The
57 - Black God, White Devil
57 - Mother and the Whore
45 - Where is My Friend's House? (need to rewatch)
45 - Traveling Players
35 - India Song
35 - Region Centrale, La

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Amazing Evan, and I'm still blown away that you saw them all Martin.

Here's what I have left from the 2002 list films that received 4 or more votes:

82 City of Sadness, A
82 Traveling Players
82 Voyage to Italy
95 Chimes at Midnight
95 El
95 Gospel Accoring to St. Matthew, The
124 Floating Clouds
124 Gertrud
124 Jeanne Dielman
124 Los Olvidados
124 Loves of a Blonde
124 Man Escaped, A
124 Marnie
124 Satyricon
124 Time to Live and the Time to Die, The
124 Tristana

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I was going to post that I just saw Olympia yesterday, in 35mm (huge improvement over the 1970s era VHS I last saw it on), only to just now realize that the S&S poll wasn't the reason I saw those films, it was the venerable 1930s challenge, anyone else remember that epic thread?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Reverse Time of the Gypsies (just not a fan of Kusturica's style) and Mother and the Whore from Martin's list. Very difficult to see Mother but I've never forgotten it since I chanced to see it on film back when I lived in Atlanta and before my movie watching dropped way down. I'm also a much bigger fan of Faster Pussycat.
I think I was around 18 or so short on the 2002 list we put together that was something like 338 films long. I never tried watching anything on youtube or the other web viewing methods. The only readily available one from the list I never saw was Berlin Alexanderplatz. Despite my adoration of Fassbinder, I just can't find that big a chunk of time to devote to watching it the way I would want to. I got Black God White Devil shortly before our library switched entirely to DVD and quit carrying VHS, and of course the tape broke in my VCR. The tape was so washed out with white subs I could barely make out any of the dialogue anyway.
Adam, Tristana and Gospel According to St. Matthew are my favorites of what you had left to see. Traveling Players and Satyricon (one of the only Fellini's I actively dislike) would be at the bottom. I haven't seen City of Sadness, Voyage to Italy, Floating Clouds or Chimes at Midnight either.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Tristana and Gospel According to st Matthew are two of the top three I want to see from that list (the other being Marnie, followed by Los Olvidados). I'm irritated I missed the chance to see City of Sadness on film a few years ago, from the Hou Hsiau Hsien films I've seen, it's probably best that I watch them in a theatre.

I also don't want to devote the time to Berlin Alexanderplatz, but I have no real problem watching one episode a night or one episode a week.

I do find it more than a little irritating that Euro TV shows qualify for this list. Almost as irritating as the idea that French titles need not be translated but no other country is so privileged, I hate the implied pedestal of leaving French and only French titles untranslated.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I remember that 1930s thread, as well as that one participant who called us all xenophobes because we had not listed a number of German films that had to that point been extremely hard-to-find in the United States.
I loved Berlin Alexanderplatz. Even to this day, there are many moments from that film that remain vivid in my memory. I am by no means a fervant admirer of Fassbinder (beyond his superhuman productivity), but I would certainly rate Berlin as a 4-star classic.
With all that said, it really is more of a television show than what I would call a film in the S&S sense. The Criterion version even has credits after each hour-long episode, making it explicit. Better to approach it as a really great season of a long-form TV show, something like The Sopranos or The Wire, or perhaps a one-off like I, Claudius.
But whatever it is, film or TV, it really is worth making the time for.
Evan

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I remember that guy too, I bet he found a welcome home at criterion forum where they prize obscurity and difficulty-to-locate as signifiers of greatness and worthiness over other qualities films may possess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks