What's new

Sideshow/Weta LOTR Collectibles (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I just got my "Samwise and Bill the pony" statue.

I glad I bit the bullet and got it. It's really nice. I'm impressed with the size as well. The other statues I have are kinda small (Argonath, Smeagol, and Frodo).

Of course, Sam is the same scale as Frodo, but when you add Bill and the base for both it's a big piece that really has a "presence" in the room.

Damn, if I think this is big I'm sure I'll be really impressed with the larger statues!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Sam is one of my favorite statues, but I'm not yet ready to buy him at ebay prices. Maybe I'll be able to trade the second Ringwraith for a Sam. I'm always on the lookout for him at stores.

I'd be happy to see some pictures there Sean.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Don, I'd love to get some pictures up.

Unfortunately at the moment, I don't have an easy way to do it (I know, I have to get out the dark ages).

They'll get here eventually.

I noticed you at the SideShow / Weta thread at tolkien online. That thread has been helpful and actually got me in the right direction for getting into this stuff a few weeks back.

Unfortunately, it seems now to function as "chat room" for those folks. There's like 10 NEW pages a day, and most of it is little personal conversations between posters about their allowance, their mom, their sigs, post count congrats, and plenty of other wastes of my time. I'm pretty frustrated with it because I know there is occasionally really helpful information posted there, but you have to sift through so much crap to find it.

Yeah, I hated having to pay ebay prices for Sam. I feel that Sam really represents the heart of this story, and I just had to have him. I ultimately figured that I'd rather just do it and get it over with and have what I really want instead of wrestling with "should I/shouldn't I" for several weeks/months and then doing the same thing later when the ROTK figures will start shipping/billing and I might have other expensive things I want (like a new computer and digital camera).

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I picked up an Arwen statue yesterday:

http://chucks888.freeservers.com/gal...WETAArwen.html

For no particular reason other than the store had it in stock. Not even a huge fan of Arwen. A sure sign that polystone madness is setting in. Still, nicer than expected. Great detailing in the robes etc. Will probably sell it off later but might look good next to the Elessar statue I got coming. Will they make a queen Arwen? :D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Nice Arwen. My Frodo and Lurtz arrived the other day. I'll get pictures up soon. They're okay, but not fantastic. They'll probably go on ebay to fund other purchases. I'm almost afraid of Weta's ToyFair releases in a week or so.

Sean: A agree with you about tolkeinonline. It's a fantastic resource, but a bit too "chummy" at times. Don't ever make the mistake of subscribing to a thread! There were about 100 post announcement emails in my inbox when I got home from my 2hr commute!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Don,

At TORC you mentioned you found Saruman the White. Are you getting him? He looks really cool.

I'd like to get him myself. Could you tell me where you found him in stock?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Man, I'd love to get a hold of the Saruman the White as well.

I wish I had my head out of my arse back before this stuff was sold out :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I remembered when I was in Disneyworld in October there was a store in MGM that had Lord of the Rings statues. At that time they had Sam with Bill the Pony. So on a lark, I called them. They didn't have Sam, but they had Saruman. I got the only one they had, it should arrive in two weeks.

Good luck searching!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ah, well. Good fortune for you though.

From the pictures I've seen and everything I've read about it, Saruman is one of the best sculpts.

I also wish I had started getting an inerest in these things just a couple of months (even weeks) sooner.

I did just order the Ring Wraith on Steed statue. I wasn't absolutely sure I wanted him, but I'm hearing he'll probably sell out soon and I know I'd kick myself it that happened (because I have been thinking about him for a bit).

For some reason, I had thought the Legolas statue was sold out. But I realized he is only listed as back-ordered, so I ordered him too.

Wow, this time next year I'll have LOTS of cool weta stuff and a heck of a lot less money in my savings account!

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Saruman is indeed one of the best sculpts, and really it captures the absolute best pose possible for the character (what could be better for a Saruman statue?) Obviously the same can't be said of many others in the sideshow weta line!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Legolas and Gandalf the Grey are open editions, so they'll never sell out. The new Balrog will be like that too.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
"Legolas and Gandalf the Grey are open editions, so they'll never sell out. The new Balrog will be like that too."

Well that's not true, Saruman was open edition as well.

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
At some point, even the open editions will no longer be available. I figure open edition means that they haven't decided to limit the edition size, but at some point Sideshow will say "enough", we're not making any more.

I just picked up the Theoden & Legolas statues and the ringwraith bust. Pretty nice. After seeing the 1/4 scale bust, I'm wishing the statues were 1/4 scale as opposed to 1/6th. I wasn't going to buy anything, but my brother bought the Cave Troll bust & the Arwen statue, so I couldn't leave the store empty handed:D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Thanks for the correction on the open editions. I wasn't aware of that.

Congrats on your new purchase Darko.

Just got email from Sideshow. My Gollum as Gollum is on the way. Woohoo!

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Don
Don't hold Sideshow to that. That was just my opinion of the "open edition" policy. It just makes sense to me. I mean, obviously, they do this stuff in batches, so at some point they're going to say "enough", no point in ordering another batch of 500 or whatever if they're only selling a few pieces a week.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

Congrats! I'm really surprised those sold out so swiftly, especially with the (relatively)large edition size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks