1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

shuts off when i turn it up loud?!?!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by dumdkid, Dec 24, 2009.

1. dumdkid

dumdkid New Member

so im just a dumb kid that wants to play loud music at his parties and i cant do that because it shuts off when i turn it up loud?!?! i dont know squat when it comes to audio so any advice is appreciated.

and yes i searched and i couldnt really find any answers.

-thanks

2. dumdkid

dumdkid New Member

i forgot to add that when i first turn on the system for the night i can turn it up real loud! like to about 50, i could probably go louder but it hurts my ears and i dont want to blow a speaker. but after its been running for awhile ( about 1.5hrs ) when i try to turn it up it shuts off and i have to lower the volume back down to around 30 for it to play... could this be an over heating issue? i seriously have no idea this is not my area of expertise! lol

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Well-Known Member

Ed
    Sounds like it's going into "Protect" mode. Check both ends of each speaker wire, to see if a single strand of wire might be sticking out and touching something it shouldn't.

4. Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler Well-Known Member

If there was a wire shorting it would go into protect earlier, sounds heat related to me. Give us some details on the equipment.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

Does the receiver have a fan for cooling or is it passively cooled? Do you have it in an enclosed stereo rack? This really sounds like an overheating problem.

6. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Well-Known Member

Ed
    No, not necessarily. I know of cases that it didn't happen until volume was turned up, and it turned out to be a strand of wire.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    Ed could be right, but I do think the most likely cause is the receiver overheating or just being over driven. You need to provide complete equipment info. sometimes this is caused by a system with a subwoofer where some or all speakers are set to Large. Along those lines, a sub may solve the problem if you don't have one. since it only happens after driving hard for a while, it could be lack of ventilation.

Of course, checking the wires is easy, so might as well do it anyway.