What's new

Shrek 2 - where are the reviews? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
David wrote:We played this DVD in our Home Theater last night and didn't have anything noticeable going on during the above described scene. Sounds like a defective DVD.:frowning:

Paul

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to start another thread so I'll ask this question here.

I purchased the Widescreen version of the DVD and noticed that there was no insert. So for others who purchased, was there in insert of not?

Thanks.....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick,
If you read the first 10 posts in this vary thread, you would've found the answer to your question.;)

Crawdaddy

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
My wife and I have talked about getting this for our daughter, who is a serious Shrek fan, but after hearing and reading about the whole box set snafu just to get the bonus disc, I may just simply get the single disc in widescreen, then search eBay for the bonus disc by itself. No multiple dipping for me, thank you.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Great movie, sound and picture.

But, the forced trailers? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

At least we can fast-forward through them, if nothing else. :rolleyes

Hard to believe that Disney actually has something over Dreamworks on a movie that heavily makes fun of Disney.

Gary Nash

Agent
I did notice that the 'Scene Selections' screens are now just numbered and without a title for each scene as was originaly done on 'Shrek'.
This is the way things are usually prepared for the Region 2 market. It seems the multi-lingual European users would get confused if the scene selections were in English, but having English for the main selection options is OK!

I wonder if Dreamworks have decided it's not worth the effort/expense to make captioned R1 scene selection and then rework it for R2.

They were more than happy to redub the Larry King voice over with Johnathon Ross for the UK edition.

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator

Still no review, I sure would like to see one.

They need to review this and let Dreamworks know how unhappy we are about the Trailers and lack of DTS

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well I won't be going to see or buying "Shark Tale" or "Madagascar" since the trailers for them are shoved in my face every time I put the disc in.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

I don't think I'll be going to "Shark Tale" after seeing the reviews of it.

As for "Madagascar", the guy in the forced trailer spent most of the time TELLING us how great it was going to be. That really turned me off. Dreamworks did not pull that stunt for "Prince of Egypt" or "Shrek"/"Shrek 2", so I'm not sure why they thought it was appropriate now.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I'm waiting for a new widescreen edition of Shrek 2 or a widescreen box set... Judging by the way Dreamworks has handled this release, I shouldn't be surprised if they release a 2-disc SE in 6 months...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I got a press kit about a month ago (sent overnight) but no screener was ever sent. I haven't received a screener of ELF as of today so perhaps the studios feel these two will sell good enough without the promotion. I'm really not sure however.

Originally I was going to buy SHREK 2 and ELF on my own and review them but with my own buys plus Christmas around the corner, I had to cancel this idea.

Sorry.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
My biggest complaint for this movie is still the CG Joan Rivers. She's not a freakin fairy tale character! Why did they have to put her (and only her for real life people) in the movie? Why couldn't they have had a fairy tale character doing that scene or better yet cut it altogether. Sheesh!

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, just how many different ways are there to purchase region 1 "Shrek 2"?

Here's a list of what I've seen so far...

(1) "Shrek 2" widescreen, 1-disc

(2) "Shrek 2" cropped, 1-disc

(3) "Shrek- The Story So Far" Boxed Set ("Shrek" & "Shrek 2" both cropped, 1-disc ea; "Shrek 3D" widescreen; "Shrek: The Story So Far Bonus Disc DVD")

(4) "Shrek 2" (widescreen or cropped, 1-disc) with bonus "Shrek 2 Party CD" Wal-mart promotion

(5) "Shrek 2" (widescreen (or cropped?), 1-disc) with bonus "Green Room VIP Pass DVD" Best Buy promotion.

And while we're at it, let's not forget that the only other way "Shrek 3D" widescreen was offered was bundled with the "Shrek" cropped 1-disc edition.

By my count if you wanted all the Shrek films in widescreen, plus all of the bonus materials currently available, you would have to make FOUR separate purchases, including unwanted DVDs of the cropped "Shrek" and "Shrek 2" (and you still wouldn't have "Shrek 2" with DTS!). :angry:

Throw in the fact that there appears to be a region 2 widescreen, 2-disc release available with DTS and a list of bonus feature very similar to the "Shrek: The Story So Far Bonus Disc" and it's shaping up to be a "What the [bleep] were they thinking???" marketing moment.

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
And I know the marketing engine ran amuck, but couldn't they have found room to include at least one relevant "Shrek 2" trailer on the region 1 DVD when they were stuffing it with trailers (read "commercials") for other films? :angry:

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
On a semi-related note, a recent issue of Rolling Stone had a list of the best DVDs of 2004 and Shrek 2 came in at number two I believe. The list was compiled by Peter Travers RS's regular movie reviewer and a rather good one. But number two for the year? The synopsis for the disc (rightly) mentioned the superb AV quality, but not the forced trailers or the advertising campaign masquerading as a set of "extras." I realize that Mr. Travers may not have had to endure such annoyances on his copy, but consumers do and mentioning such "inconveniences" in a mainstream review couldn't hurt.

BTW, the Star Wars Trilogy was ranked number 1.

I don't put much stock in such lists, but the Shrek thing bugged me.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, you folks are really gonna hate me for this, but I actually did get the Shrek: The Story So Far box set collection with all-widescreen films inside it. Yup, no kidding…

And no, Dreamworks did not actually release a widescreen box set.

Basically, I was allowed to essentially "create" my own widescreen edition of The Story So Far box set, replacing the two 1.33:1 editions of Shrek and Shrek 2 with the widescreen versions. All thanks to the wonderful help of my local Best Buy staff…

Since both discs in the box set are individually shrinkwrapped, are exactly the same as the cropped discs sold separately, and cost the same, there was no problem exchanging the titles.

But even better…

Since I already had the original two-disc special edition DVD set of Shrek, I really had no use for a second copy. So… um… I was also allowed to replace that disc with another movie — my choice — that had the same retail price. So instead of Shrek, my box set now had a copy of The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut (+ bonus disc). And when I got home, Riddick came out, and my original 2-disc widescreen Shrek went in.

Voilà! One complete widescreen Shrek: The Story So Far box set obtained — not a bad deal, eh? (Plus I got to price match it down to a VERY reasonable amount…)

And all this because I made a small comment to a couple of the media employees I know very well at the store. I told them that I wished Dreamworks would have released a proper widescreen box set — and they knew why I was ticked off about this — which was when they told me to go create my own set since it was all the same price. And when I went up front to price match and pay at customer service, they wanted to know if I wanted to grab another set since the shrinkwrap was off the box (obviously) — I told them what the deal was, and all three of them laughed, said "good going, Jeff," and sent me on my merry way.

Unfortunately, unless some of you folks are seriously close and/or friendly (and I mean "SERIOUSLY") to your local Best Buy employees/manager, don't even bother attempting this… you'll probably be laughed at, or more than likely thrown out of the store. So I really wouldn't even attempt this if I were you — heck, I wouldn't have attempted this myself, except that it was actually offered to me…

As for myself, let's just say that over the past few years I've gotten to really know many of the employees and the manager of this one Best Buy location (which must remain unidenfied, sorry, so don't bother to ask), and have become quite close friends with most of them. I've always treated them with courtesy and respect I'd give to any other human being and/or friend since Day 1, and never one treated them as if they were some stupid mindless worker drone (which is how many customers do consider and treat them as). As such, we've become quite good friends, I've earned their respect, and they bend over backwards to help me out however they can… such as with this Shrek set… or when I've had to returning or exchanging a defective/damaged product — or even the couple of times I've opened a DVD set to find a disc actually missing — I've never had a single problem. Plus on top of that, since I'm apparently one of their best DVD customers, I'm always given additional discounts (woohoo). All in all, I've always gone out of my way to be friendly and respect these people, and they've always appreciated it and returned it in kind.

This one Best Buy this one store and a group of employees that have always been first rate in my book, and rises so far above the others, it's sometimes scary. Then again, it IS the only Best Buy in my area that I will ever shop at again — all the other local locations (at least 3-4 others within easy driving distance) completely suck, and suffer from the standard employee and customer service problems Best Buy is generally associated with. (Don't get me started about the one time a manager threatened to have me arrested because I wanted to replace a two-disc DVD set that was missing a disc… which I bought a half-hour earlier. Grrrrr… Talk about unnecessary aggrevation…)

Okay, I've babbled enough… time to let the (hopefully) good-natured "You bastard, you got a widescreen box set!?!?!?" postings begin…

Regards to all…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks