What's new

Shows You Loved at one time (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Thomas Stewart
The Yogi Bear Show, I watched it all the time as a kid, but now just recenly when I bought the DVD durring an Amazon sale, I couldn't sit through the first three episodes and I ended up giving the set to my neice

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
I guess I am lucky as I am finding that I am enjoying more tv-shows on DVD that I did when they were on free to air tv. Some of these include:

Doogie Howser: I couldn't get through a full episode of this show when it originally aired, but I have loved the show on DVD. No idea why :)

Hart to Hart: ditto. Had no interest in watching it when it first aired but I have enjoyed watching Season 1.

Wings S1-2: ditto

Quantum Leap (Region 4): ditto

Adam12: I wasn't born when it was originally aired, but am now eagerly awaiting season 2.

Some shows that have held up great, and are just as enjoyable (if not more) to watch now include:

Emergency!
Little House on the Prairie (this is fabulous on DVD)
Six Million Dollar Man (Region 4)
Bionic Woman (Region 4)
Pretender
Knight Rider
The Tomorrow People
Charlie's Angels
Macgyver
Lois and Clark (I like this show even better now - maybe because I get more of the humour:)
21 Jump Street
The Facts of Life
Fame
Gidget

The few disappointments that I did buy include:

WonderWoman: Still glad I bought all the seasons, but some of the stories drag on a little.

TimeTunnel: Once again I am glad I bought all the seasons, although I am finding it hard to get hooked into the show. I am hoping it might getter better as I see a few more episodes. I absolutely loved this show as a kid.

Superboy: I am hoping Season 2 is better.

A-Team: Haven't got past the first disk yet, and this used to be one of my favourite shows.

Puffnstuff: Loved this as a kid, can't get into it now.

Land of the Lost: Used to love this show, now I haven't gotten past disk 1.

Due South: I am glad I only bought Season 1, didn't enjoy the show as much as when it first aired.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I guess I've been lucky as I still love all of my favs from years past. Sure some may be cheese to but imo its good cheese :P

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I've only gambled on two shows: I LOVE LUCY and THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW (okay, I'm 50, so I go back a ways!); fortunately their uncut format and bonus trimmings have made each series worthwhile to rediscover. I've read generally positive reviews of THE ADDAMS FAMILY, another old favorite (I thought it way better than the dopey MUNSTERS), but the more I think about it the less crazed I actually was about that series--it was good, like F TROOP (another big deal way back when), but I fear they wouldn't hold up as well now the way I first experienced them as a kid. LUCY and VAN DYKE were always gold to me!

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
Disappointed by the Avengers on DVD which I really liked when I was younger. It got boring fast when I tried the DVDs.

Also, loved the first season of Quantum Leap on DVD but found that the plot depth became very shallow thereafter and the raunchy level inappropriate if not disgusting.
(OK, I'm a prude)
I'm also not happy along those lines with the change that occurred in Smallville Seasons 4-5 from the first 3 that were far more family-friendly seasons. I will no longer let my young kids watch the show.
How

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I guess I've been lucky with my TV/DVD buys. The only 2 that I can think of at the moment that haven't held up as much as I'd hoped (I sill like them but they're the least-liked of my sets) : The Jetsons & Yogi Bear. I haven't given "Yogi" a fair chance though, still early in the set. But, who can forget "Boo-Boo" saying "But Yogi, why don't we just eat nuts & berries like the other bears?" [Yogi] "Nuts & berries> YYYUUUKKKK!" :laugh:

Carlos' post early in this thread was outstanding and probably sums it up for a lot of us. It's not so much the series that may not be "holding up" like we imagined it would, it's just that we've all changed. I have found, though, that the vast majority of the sets that I have (mainly 60's - 80's sets) nearly all seem to be standing the test of time. Ironically, one of my favorite 80's series, "A-Team", was a complete blind-buy for me. I'd never seen any of these during original airings or in syndication. However, in memory of my Dad who watched the series when he was retired, I blind-bought S1 and thought it was great. S5 just arrived in the mail last week. I read an earlier post about the cartoon series "Jonny Quest". That one, I love almost as much as when I watched it as a kid on Sat mornings. That intro theme tune still makes me smile....never forgot that giant bird sound :) As Carlos said, I watch these things and have fun remembering "how it was". I do have a little contact with reality left, though, as I have "Earth 2" ('94?) and NYPD Blue S1 & 2., also the Pretender S1. So there are a couple of 90's sets in the collection. I don't have anything after '96 in my sets. Maybe one of these days I might try a S1 set of something that's huge amoung the younger crowd but I'm usually too busy watching the older series.

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
whats happening
thats my mama
good times
the odd couple
seinfeld
king of queens
sanford and son

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I'm with the "You can't go home again" camp on this topic, but there have been a few "recent" shows during my adulthood that just don't hold any magic for me anymore.

The most notable casualties for me are Ren and Stimpy (Yes, I'm including all the original Kricfalusi episodes...though it's still fun to tell people "I'm going to be seeeeck" or that they "look like they could use some rubber neeeples") and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

I'll always be a Rocky and Bullwinkle fan, but I've been stuck somewhere on disc two of the first season box set for YEARS now. I was completely unaware how "serialized" the early seasons were, and it's very hard for me to sit down and watch them. I hope they release episodes like "Wassamatta U" one of these days...

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
PARTRIDGE FAMILY - really I just like the music (and the cartoon strangely enough), especially the first season where they have those other singers.

I am just the opposite with this show...I find myself fast forwarding the music sequences. I think it was at its best when they were just at home being a family. The show DEFINITELY had a more adult sense of humor than The Brady Bunch. They were more like a real family: They were ROTTEN to each other. Also I heard Shirley say things my parents said...."Because I'm bigger than you". Also she acted more like a real mom...she actually got mad at them. Watched about two minutes of the cartoon and had to turn it off.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Someone earlier said they only Watched the music part of the Partridge Family.

I am just the opposite with this show...I find myself fast forwarding the music sequences. I think it was at its best when they were just at home being a family. The show DEFINITELY had a more adult sense of humor than The Brady Bunch. They were more like a real family: They were ROTTEN to each other. Also I heard Shirley say things my parents said...."Because I'm bigger than you". Also she acted more like a real mom...she actually got mad at them. Watched about two minutes of the cartoon and had to turn it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks